• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

the bill s and dellotto covers are particularly strong as well and should hold up value given the strength of the images.

What are their asking prices? Have they been revealed?

Strength of image is cool, and will help long term demand, but it's all relative to asking price.

What is everyone's thoughts on Batman artist Fabok's cover or Finch's cover, worth the price and which one would you choose?

I like them both as artists in general but, comparing these two images, and as I picture the inked Finch to be in my head. I would prefer the Finch (if both are the same price) and it's not even close.

Neither do much of anything for me, Bill Sienk piece included in that. I have no idea how many covers each issue will have, but I think it's the appeal of the book itself, not the quality of the covers, that are drawing people to even discuss this. For the record though, and I'm not a fan/Finch appreciator, I would go with his piece over Fabok. His art holds no appeal to me what-so-ever. And as much as I'm a 90's reader, I do read current books, though not Batman titles for many years.

To me, this is just a major overplay of a gimmick. Why can't we have a embossed or foil cover instead? Or bag the thing with a random variant...

Link to the Bill S cover.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/10/bill-sienkiewiczs-cover-to-the-dark-knight-iii-the-master-race/

I'm not a huge Finch fan but that cover is really good as well.

I actually have an opportunity to get either or both, but even though Finch is the teacher and Fabok is his protege, he is really making a name for himself. Is it worth the investment? Both are appealing images, so that eliminates that question.

fabok has made some great progress as an artist - I've really enjoyed his work on the bat books. he prices his OA quite a bit high though IMO.

Why can't we have a embossed or foil cover instead? Or bag the thing with a random variant...

I personally prefer the holograms lol.

Man, both blast from the 90's past. I want the richness of a chromium cover. Just saying the word in my head is making me want to run and open up my comic book box it is stored in and pull out that copy of Ninjak 1. :roflmao:

Gotta love how well chromium showed finger prints off.

As much as I like her cover. I can't justify paying that much for a modern cover on a book that will either be a boom or bust. If the book becomes a classic than it may be a worthwhile investment, but if it bombs that cover will only be worth a couple thousand in a year or two. Who ever buys it may get burned on it. There are only a couple of covers that will maintain their price regardless of how the book does. Kuberts NYCC program book because it is a classic and simple cover, the stock cover, Millers and Lee's.

+1

If you want to buy a Fabok cover, get one of his outstanding Justice League covers where he is doing some kick-butt original work. On DKIII, the multitude of variant covers for only dilutes the overall impact of the book, except for the completionists. I don't see very many of them holding what is likely a hefty initial purchase price. And the success of the book is ultimately dependent on the content being revered, something that DKII certainly can't point to as an achievement. But Jason's JL art holds its own, and those might be worth the price down the road.

Full disclosure: I own two of Jason's Detective covers.

I prefer Finch though his cover is over 4 times the price of this one.

http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1265702

Yes it is and I assume if Finch wasn't repped by Spencer then his cover would have been a lot more affordable. I think his move to have Spencer rep him has signalled the end of the attainable for the average person Finch cover.

Edited by Captain Canuck

Yes it is and I assume if Finch wasn't repped by Spencer then his cover would have been a lot more affordable. I think his move to have Spencer rep him has signalled the end of the attainable for the average person Finch cover.

Finch was represented by spencer for quite a while, and then decided to sell his own artwork around 2009, I had purchased several covers during the time he was with spencer. The prices were higher after he left. If they are higher now I wouldn't say it has anything to do with spencer and more to do with finch's career arc taking his prices up or finch deciding he wants more for his work.

Finch was represented by spencer for quite a while, and then decided to sell his own artwork around 2009, I had purchased several covers during the time he was with spencer. The prices were higher after he left. If they are higher now I wouldn't say it has anything to do with spencer and more to do with finch's career arc taking his prices up or finch deciding he wants more for his work.

Just to clarify, does the artists rep have a big say in how much an artist asks for their art because some of these prices don't seem logical. If the book does well, will these prices maintain themselves, seem reasonable or signify a decent investment? Same thing if the book tanks will people lose money if they pay some of these astronomical prices or purchase the art from the books?