• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

There's also a Tony Harris variant cover it seems. Now you have at least two equestrian Batmans to choose from.

3iPRNdL.jpg

Tony's cover is tremendous!

Aren't all of these covers riffing from the first mini or am I missing something? Wouldn't they be related to the DKR3 story?

From what I gather the artists didn't know the content of the story, so based their drawings on something reminiscent or iconic from the original DKR.

There are at least 3 horsie covers. Aaron Lopresti did one, too.

dark-knight-master-race-dk3-aaron-lopresti-vaultcollectibles-vault-collectibles-exclusive-variant-cover-art-1.jpg

Click the link if you want to order that cover.

For those interested, Aaron explains why he chose to draw this particular cover on his website ( here).

I guess beyond referring to key scenes for their DK3 covers, which would explain why they are all very similar, the editors had a say in what idea was used.

Tony's cover is tremendous!

I have never been a fan of Batman-on-a-horse...but have to admit, that's pretty badass.

Same with Sienkiewicz's contribution.

That was one of my Top 3 for sure. Love how he used the Wrightson "Cult" cape.

That is the one cover (that's not digitally created) that's standing out to me. Pretty awesome.

To me as well, and would stand alone as a great cover regardless of whether DK3 does well or not. I just personally can't justify paying the high asking price.

You should shoot him an offer of what you're willing to pay. It's worth a shot. When I was emailing spencer, and asked him what was going on with the asking price, he said that Finch loved the piece and wanted to try to keep it, but that he would also listen to reasonable offers.

Maybe it's worth talking about.

Was Finch's cover inked or shot from the pencils?

It's a nice cover. One of the better ones that I've seen so far. DC is really milking the variant covers ....... only 3,567 more to go.

It's obvious that many collectors are looking for a quick flip / investment. The artists know this so why shouldn't they charge as much as possible.

Cheers!

N.

Was Finch's cover inked or shot from the pencils?

It's a nice cover. One of the better ones that I've seen so far. DC is really milking the variant covers ....... only 3,567 more to go.

It's obvious that many collectors are looking for a quick flip / investment. The artists know this so why shouldn't they charge as much as possible.

Cheers!

N.

Inked directly over the pencils.

...on a side but related to this note... in my opinion to in part why the DK3 cover(s) may not surge in value...

The problem with the trends of the last half decade or so of these "Variant" covers once reserved for special occasions of landmark issues is it's so commonplace, utilized by Zenescope, Dynamite, IDW, etc. where you open up any monthly book and there's not only 2-5 variant covers, then there's variations on the variants with B&W sketch editions, and then now the "Blank Covers"

So, from a nostalgia/nostalgic standpoint, even if a comic book becomes an epic story that captivates the hearts of fans, there's no longer a single iconic cover image that resonates emotionally with fans like how covers in the past have like Amazing Spider-Man #50, Batman #251, Green Lantern/Green Arrow #76, etc.

With DK3, which cover will prevail as the one that people remember most to the series and story more so than any scarcity or value?

It's too bad the publishers continue cranking out variants focusing on getting the retailers to buy more to get the rights to the limited run (1:10; 1:25; 1:100 etc.) covers and fans to buy multiple copies of the same book, when the publishers should be focused on simply quality storytelling with good writing and artwork as well as solid continuity to get fans to buy month after month instead of rebooting #1 issues over and over.

Story telling and writing over short term profit? Most (all?) comics and TV shows and movies exist to generate sales and ads and licensing - good stories and art really are not the goal though they do happen.

Well there's that...

Personally I thought DKII was so horrible, I couldn't finish reading it. That alone would make me leery, and if I even saw one of these covers I might have been be interested in (nothing yet), it would probably put me off of wanting it anyway. Couple that with how many there are, and yeah, this whole manufactured event is of zero interest to me.

I didn't get into the foil and glow in the dark nonsense in the 90s, and I'm not into it now. Give me something great to read. Wow me with content, not volume of creators you get to do your first issue. I'm all for artists getting paid to do cool work, and I get they are all fans of that original series. I am too. But this is not necessarily that. I couldn't throw an internet cat photo and not his a creator on Facebook who isn't debuting a new DKIII cover on Facebook. And getting paid to do what is essentially pro "fan art" is a win win for them, but not so much for the goofuses they are hoping to sell these too.

Of course, if there was a piece of art that knocked me on my , and I just had to have forever and ever and price be damned, that could all go out the window. That is my only criteria for buying something these days. I just don't see any of these DK pieces striking me that hard. To me they are more in the realm of well done commissions. It's just instead of a fan commissioning them, it was DC. But I wouldn't think of them being published as equating more value at all in my mind.

To me the factors are, Who did it? How badly do I want it? What's it worth to me? Is there something else I'd rather spend that same money on? Done!

My .02¢

To me the factors are, Who did it? How badly do I want it? What's it worth to me? Is there something else I'd rather spend that same money on? Done!

Right there with you, Eric. I've bought something from my favorite runs (with the exception of a Englehart/Rogers/Austin Detective page) so no I'm getting pretty selective.