• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

IMHO this was the best DKR panel page Heritage has ever auctioned. It was very memorable from when I first read the page in issue #4. Like many others, I thought it would go for a silly number so I didn't focus on it and it wound up going fairly "cheap." Like many others, I wish I had a do over. I'd prefer this page to all of these DK III covers combined.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-miller-and-klaus-janson-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-4-superman-vs-batman-page-40-original-art-dc-198/a/7059-92259.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I think we discussed this page on another thread about a year ago - the page is from one of my favorite sequences in comic history and that price was a steal.

I remember that auction. Myself and several others were absolutely convinced that this page could have gone for twice as much. I know, for a fact, that several bidders who would have gone for this, at this number, were convinced if would go to the moon and stopped following it and put their concentration in other pieces in that auction.

There was a collective jaw drop when it stopped where it did and sold.

By the time the "Wait, What?!" reached your lips...it was GONE.

And from what I understand, no one knows who won it, but I could be mistaken.

I saw this recent John Paul Leon commission today, and my first thought was I'd take it over any of the DK III covers I've seen so far. I daresay it was a lot cheaper than them all, as well.

CQqe-S4WoAEhr2s.jpg

Or just open an online comic shop.

Tell DC you want to use this as your store's variant cover.

Pay John Paul his publication cover rate.

Print the minimum amount of variants they let you.

Sell em to get back your cost.

Sell the commission...um I mean...DARK KNIGHT III EXCLUSIVE VARIANT ORIGINAL COVER ART!!! for PHAT STAX O' CHEDDAHHHHH!!!! :banana:

lol - a get (not so) rich (not so) quick scheme!

Slow and Steady Wins the Race*

*eventually, and at such a great personal cost that it makes you wish you never entered in the first place.

IMHO this was the best DKR panel page Heritage has ever auctioned. It was very memorable from when I first read the page in issue #4. Like many others, I thought it would go for a silly number so I didn't focus on it and it wound up going fairly "cheap." Like many others, I wish I had a do over. I'd prefer this page to all of these DK III covers combined.

http://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/frank-miller-and-klaus-janson-batman-the-dark-knight-returns-4-superman-vs-batman-page-40-original-art-dc-198/a/7059-92259.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

I think we discussed this page on another thread about a year ago - the page is from one of my favorite sequences in comic history and that price was a steal.

I remember that auction. Myself and several others were absolutely convinced that this page could have gone for twice as much. I know, for a fact, that several bidders who would have gone for this, at this number, were convinced if would go to the moon and stopped following it and put their concentration in other pieces in that auction.

I think this page was an example of a situation where some potential buyers, myself included, were put off bidding by previous negative experiences with the consignor over this page. It's from one of my favourite ever comic sequences although had I suspected what it would hammer for I'd have probably just bitten the bullet regardless.

doh!

You'll be able to enjoy it in all its glory in the upcoming Graphitti Gallery edition of Dark Knight which is looking amazing.

[maybe not so gratuitous plug]

:)

You'll be able to enjoy it in all its glory in the upcoming Graphitti Gallery edition of Dark Knight which is looking amazing.

[maybe not so gratuitous plug]

:)

Was the page shot for the book from the Heritage scan or from the original page itself?

Another day, another variant. Simon Bisley's is up for sale on CAF and on eBay (carrying a $6,500 BIN).

0u2M95qk_2210150711341.jpg

Did we really need to draw the teenage Carrie with nipples? It bugs me when artists do this for no good reason

Edited by Thawk

Another day, another variant. Simon Bisley's is up for sale on CAF and on eBay (carrying a $6,500 BIN).

Did we really need to draw the teenage Carrie with nipples? It bugs me when artists do this for no good reason

Artists known for their sexy women are going to (tend to) draw all women sexy. Even chubbies and non-humanoid aliens. And so? Much larger debate for other forums (fer sure), but until the post-WWII era, this idea of post-menses 'underage' didn't really exist. Presently it's just an arbitrary number chosen, a legal line in the sand, not as if there's some sort of magic that happens physically/mentally at age 16, 17, 18...the year the 'magic' happens all depending on which state you're in?? Not making any sort of argument on that subject here, just that it's not as big a deal to everyone as some folks might assume. We all know the average age that female menses begins...that is the real physical change signalling -at a minimum- physical maturity. The rest just follows.

And before we bash up Biz too hard, maybe...somebody should mention to the parents of all those teens at the mall...they'd be doing their daughters a favor if they dressed them 'up' as much as even Carrie. Most wear much less. And tighter too. No matter what any of us thinks, the culture seems to be moving younger and younger, sexier and sexier, with little regard for the legalities (that aren't moving) or the fact that it seems people have very different opinions when it's their daughter on displays vs. "teenagers". Ya know?

At least she isn't facing the other way :)

Artists known for their sexy women are going to (tend to) draw all women sexy. Even chubbies and non-humanoid aliens. And so? Much larger debate for other forums (fer sure), but until the post-WWII era, this idea of post-menses 'underage' didn't really exist. Presently it's just an arbitrary number chosen, a legal line in the sand, not as if there's some sort of magic that happens physically/mentally at age 16, 17, 18...the year the 'magic' happens all depending on which state you're in?? Not making any sort of argument on that subject here, just that it's not as big a deal to everyone as some folks might assume. We all know the average age that female menses begins...that is the real physical change signalling -at a minimum- physical maturity. The rest just follows.

And before we bash up Biz too hard, maybe...somebody should mention to the parents of all those teens at the mall...they'd be doing their daughters a favor if they dressed them 'up' as much as even Carrie. Most wear much less. And tighter too. No matter what any of us thinks, the culture seems to be moving younger and younger, sexier and sexier, with little regard for the legalities (that aren't moving) or the fact that it seems people have very different opinions when it's their daughter on displays vs. "teenagers". Ya know?

At least she isn't facing the other way :)

I think the issue is more that Carrie Kelley is a very non-sexualized 13 year old in DKR. That's kind of rare in comics and it kinda takes away from the character to give her D-cups.

Not that I care. For all I know, he could be drawing the character as she appears in DKIII. But I doubt it.

Huh...I got an e-mail offering the painting for this cover...which one's published?

The painting sold. According to seller the pencil ink version is also published (shrug)

Wow, it sold? Good for them, I too got an email offering me the painting. I thought I was special :)

Malvin