• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DARK KNIGHT III VARIANT COVERS ... worth the $$?
1 1

263 posts in this topic

Another day, another variant. Simon Bisley's is up for sale on CAF and on eBay (carrying a $6,500 BIN).

Did we really need to draw the teenage Carrie with nipples? It bugs me when artists do this for no good reason

Artists known for their sexy women are going to (tend to) draw all women sexy. Even chubbies and non-humanoid aliens. And so? Much larger debate for other forums (fer sure), but until the post-WWII era, this idea of post-menses 'underage' didn't really exist. Presently it's just an arbitrary number chosen, a legal line in the sand, not as if there's some sort of magic that happens physically/mentally at age 16, 17, 18...the year the 'magic' happens all depending on which state you're in?? Not making any sort of argument on that subject here, just that it's not as big a deal to everyone as some folks might assume. We all know the average age that female menses begins...that is the real physical change signalling -at a minimum- physical maturity. The rest just follows.

And before we bash up Biz too hard, maybe...somebody should mention to the parents of all those teens at the mall...they'd be doing their daughters a favor if they dressed them 'up' as much as even Carrie. Most wear much less. And tighter too. No matter what any of us thinks, the culture seems to be moving younger and younger, sexier and sexier, with little regard for the legalities (that aren't moving) or the fact that it seems people have very different opinions when it's their daughter on displays vs. "teenagers". Ya know?

At least she isn't facing the other way :)

I think the issue is more that Carrie Kelley is a very non-sexualized 13 year old in DKR. That's kind of rare in comics and it kinda takes away from the character to give her D-cups.

Not that I care. For all I know, he could be drawing the character as she appears in DKIII. But I doubt it.

Yes that is actually the issue for me. Not discounting the comments about kids at the mall (no arguments on your point), just seems like this is a sexualization of something for no reason - there are plenty of female characters who have this built in - can't you just leave it for those? Why do we have to draw nipples on a kid to draw attention to a story/character which is already good and getting massive attention? We can see the smallest ab muscles in Batman, but of course not his nipples. Just makes me annoyed I think because the hobby already has so much of that - where is the need or even desire to extend it here? Seems lazy and selfish in a way.

rantrant

Edited by Thawk

Another day, another variant. Simon Bisley's is up for sale on CAF and on eBay (carrying a $6,500 BIN).

Did we really need to draw the teenage Carrie with nipples? It bugs me when artists do this for no good reason

Artists known for their sexy women are going to (tend to) draw all women sexy. Even chubbies and non-humanoid aliens. And so? Much larger debate for other forums (fer sure), but until the post-WWII era, this idea of post-menses 'underage' didn't really exist. Presently it's just an arbitrary number chosen, a legal line in the sand, not as if there's some sort of magic that happens physically/mentally at age 16, 17, 18...the year the 'magic' happens all depending on which state you're in?? Not making any sort of argument on that subject here, just that it's not as big a deal to everyone as some folks might assume. We all know the average age that female menses begins...that is the real physical change signalling -at a minimum- physical maturity. The rest just follows.

And before we bash up Biz too hard, maybe...somebody should mention to the parents of all those teens at the mall...they'd be doing their daughters a favor if they dressed them 'up' as much as even Carrie. Most wear much less. And tighter too. No matter what any of us thinks, the culture seems to be moving younger and younger, sexier and sexier, with little regard for the legalities (that aren't moving) or the fact that it seems people have very different opinions when it's their daughter on displays vs. "teenagers". Ya know?

At least she isn't facing the other way :)

I think the issue is more that Carrie Kelley is a very non-sexualized 13 year old in DKR. That's kind of rare in comics and it kinda takes away from the character to give her D-cups.

Not that I care. For all I know, he could be drawing the character as she appears in DKIII. But I doubt it.

Yes that is actually the issue for me. Not discounting the comments about kids at the mall (no arguments on your point), just seems like this is a sexualization of something for no reason - there are plenty of female characters who have this built in - can't you just leave it for those? Why do we have to draw nipples on a kid to draw attention to a story/character which is already good and getting massive attention? We can see the smallest ab muscles in Batman, but of course not his nipples. Just makes me annoyed I think because the hobby already has so much of that - where is the need or even desire to extend it here? Seems lazy and selfish in a way.

rantrant

I hear you. And I think we go back to the first sentence I wrote - show me the Biz female that doesn't have prominent nipples. Cripes - would it be a Biz if it didn't? Would we call it a possible fake twenty years from now, the same way some of us joke that anything showing a foot is a fake Liefeld?

I would have expected the artists to offer the specific comic book shops the right of first refusal since the variant covers were published exclusively for specific shops.

Perhaps the prices were too high for the store owners.

Cheers!

N.

Anyone else thinks the coloring of the Silvestri cover contradicts the line art itself? It seemed to me that the ground beneath Batman was basically erupting in an explosion and engulfed in flames, but the colored piece instead shows cool ground (maybe someone figured in retrospect that it'd make the composition too busy?).

Anyone else thinks the coloring of the Silvestri cover contradicts the line art itself? It seemed to me that the ground beneath Batman was basically erupting in an explosion and engulfed in flames, but the colored piece instead shows cool ground (maybe someone figured in retrospect that it'd make the composition too busy?).

I think the scene is where Batman is jumping out of the tank to fist fight the mutant leader in a mud hole at night - it seems about right

Edited by Thawk

Looked through a bunch more of these covers today, and I gotta admit I am really digging this one by Stelfreeze. I'm not entirely surprised.

tumblr_nw13nev8KE1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg

I wonder if it's been sold. Does he sell his art and, if so, where?