• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official AntMan #2 Movie Thread - Antman & the Wasp July 6th 2018
4 4

193 posts in this topic

19 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

somewhere out there is that mcu movie that will fall in that high-20's dc wheelhouse.  we should do a pool and see who wins that bad boy.

My money is on the first film that comes out after Kevin Feige is no longer working for Marvel Studios...until then it's difficult to see it happening.  Age of Ultron or Iron Man 3 are the ones people complain the most about but those were 75% and 80%.  DC fans should be yearning for the salad days when they were complaining about how awful Superman Returns was, a film that got solid critical reviews including 75% Rotten Tomatoes.  If only they knew the turds they had to look forward to over the next decade they may have appreciated the finer parts of that film a bit more.  :blush:  :sorry:

Edited by fantastic_four

34 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

somewhere out there is that mcu movie that will fall in that high-20's dc wheelhouse.  we should do a pool and see who wins that bad boy.

'

you have to tip your hat to the people involved in these things; this is a streak of 9 movies in which the critical reaction has been overwhelmingly positive (80+ RT), heck if you lower it to 75 RT then it's 12 in a row.

10 minutes ago, paperheart said:

you have to tip your hat to the people involved in these things; this is a streak of 9 movies in which the critical reaction has been overwhelmingly positive (80+ RT), heck if you lower it to 75 RT then it's 12 in a row.

All 20 MCU films have been Rotten Tomatoes fresh, i.e. 60% or above.  Only The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World were below 70% at 67% and 66% respectively.

I freaking LOVE the Incredible Hulk film.  I don't know why people don't like that more.  Tim Roth was freaking excellent in it, and the Hulk versus Abomination battle sequence is still the most powerfully impressive one-on-one matchup I've seen in any superhero film.  The film overall is meh, but wow, the Emil Blonsky scenes and Abomination battle scenes are absolutely scintillating.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

the plane/space shuttle scene is one of my fave superhero set pieces, ever.

total agreement here. :) to me that scene is what Superman is all about. (taking out most of the physics surrounding the airplane's descent after it re-enters the atmosphere)

Looks like another MCU hit.  This movie definitely looks fun.  But I'm going to skip the first few weeks until I read more reviews before seeing it in theaters.

With the price of going out to see movies you have to be selective (other than movies like Infinity War...that I was going to see no matter what).

On 6/27/2018 at 2:35 PM, fantastic_four said:

All 20 MCU films have been Rotten Tomatoes fresh, i.e. 60% or above.  Only The Incredible Hulk and Thor: The Dark World were below 70% at 67% and 66% respectively.

I freaking LOVE the Incredible Hulk film.  I don't know why people don't like that more.  Tim Roth was freaking excellent in it, and the Hulk versus Abomination battle sequence is still the most powerfully impressive one-on-one matchup I've seen in any superhero film.  The film overall is meh, but wow, the Emil Blonsky scenes and Abomination battle scenes are absolutely scintillating.

I agree. I think it's underrated. It's not fantastic, but it's as solid as a lot of the other MCU entries. 

I saw it last night - I thought it was good without being great. There are parts that are really good I just thought there were parts where it lulled for a bit. (I did see it after a really long day at work so maybe I've downgraded it a bit and possibly its aimed at a younger audience)

The first post credit scene is worth hanging around for - the second not so much

Spoiler

I also thought it could have done with a better baddie

Edited by MV

On 7/2/2018 at 11:17 PM, paperheart said:

going to be difficult to label this one a BO success at "only" $650-700MM WW after BP's $1.35BB and A:IW's $2BB+ but that's where this one is likely headed

And that is where it should be. Ant-Man is not a top tier property, so anything over $600MM WW is great for the character. 

That being said, right now it will still be facing Jurassic World and the Incredibles in theatres, and the weekend after Ant-Man opens you have Skyscraper and Hotel Transylvania 3 added to the mix. Add in potential super-hero film fatigue after DP2, BP, and IW, and it could be a tough summer for AM2. They might have been better off with a first weekend of August release date like GotG and Suicide Squad since there will be so little competition in that month. That would have also cut into the Teen Titans Go! box office from a competitive standpoint.........................

Edited by kimik

31 minutes ago, kimik said:

And that is where it should be. Ant-Man is not a top tier property, so anything over $600MM WW is great for the character. 

That being said, right now it will still be facing Jurassic World and the Incredibles in theatres, and the weekend after Ant-Man opens you have Skyscraper and Hotel Transylvania 3 added to the mix. Add in potential super-hero film fatigue after DP2, BP, and IW, and it could be a tough summer for AM2. They might have been better off with a first weekend of August release date like GotG and Suicide Squad since there will be so little competition in that month. That would have also cut into the Teen Titans Go! box office from a competitive standpoint.........................

early read is $11MM preview night, which is up 70% vs A-M and higher than DS and in line w/ GOTG.  big # for the tiny guy/gal. the generally very positive critical response (87 RT, 70 Metacritic) should help.  on my maybe list given must-sees: Leave No Trace, Three Identical Strangers, Sorry to Bother You and Eighth Grade.

Edited by paperheart