• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official AntMan #2 Movie Thread - Antman & the Wasp July 6th 2018
4 4

193 posts in this topic

I really enjoyed it. My family of 6 thought it was great. The theater was full, which I always find annoying for personal reasons, but it was one of the better movie experiences I've had in a while. Great popcorn flick, lots of actual laughs, I give it a solid A!

I was never big on the Antman franchise to begin with, but both movies have been enjoyable.  They're not the best movies.  They're not deep or intellectual.  It's just a good, fun summer film.  It's one of those movies that you play in the background at home while you're cooking or doing chores and then pop your head in and stop what you're doing and say "oh, this is a good part" before continuing what you were doing.

That being said, the villain is bland to the point that I look back and it feels like "the villain of the week" from a show like Smallville or Agents of SHIELD season 1.

7 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I was never big on the Antman franchise to begin with, but both movies have been enjoyable.  They're not the best movies.  They're not deep or intellectual.  It's just a good, fun summer film. 

The choreography or CGI in the battle scenes btwn Wasp and Ghost were solid. Back story to Project Goliath was interesting. Almost too many family jokes from Ant-man but the 7 year old kids in the theater loved them.

Spoiler

Did not know Janet van Dyne was a super-scientist in her own right.

On 7/6/2018 at 5:26 PM, aardvark88 said:

The choreography or CGI in the battle scenes btwn Wasp and Ghost were solid. Back story to Project Goliath was interesting. Almost too many family jokes from Ant-man but the 7 year old kids in the theater loved them.

Reveal hidden contents

Did not know Janet van Dyne was a super-scientist in her own right.

Wasps introduction/fight scene was very good.

Spoiler

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me on this one, but here goes.

In the comics, Spider-Man is universally agreed upon as the "heart" of the Marvel Universe (616).  I think it has to do with his innocence, his will to do what's right, his perseverance, his down on his luck family man persona.  After re-watching Antman and then watching Antman and the Wasp, I feel like Scott Lang is filling that role for the MCU.  Sure, Cap has TONS of heart.  In TFA, Erskine points at his heart and tells him that that is his greatest strength.  But in the modern day scenes, what is he fighting for?  He's been a soldier fighting for his country.  Thor has been (at times) a hotheaded God seeking to rectify the mistakes of his family.  Iron Man is...well, Iron Man - a narcissist and egomaniac.  But Scott fights for family.  He fights for his daughter (the same way that Hank fights to protect Hope).  Scott doesn't ask to be a hero, but he's thrust into situations where it's clear that all he's looking for is to build a better world for Cassie.  He's looking to do right by her and to be the dad that perhaps he never had.  Moments like where he fashioned the giant ant tunnels in his house, or begging to take the video call, or asking Cassie what he should do.  And the heartfelt family moments aren't reserved for just Scott and Cassie.  It also extends to Hank, Janet, and Hope.  I dunno why, but Janet's last words in the opening flashback really struck me: "tell Hope I love her."  These are the only heroes in the MCU fighting for the most personal thing: family.  And for that reason, I feel like Scott has the most heart that we've seen so far.

Edited by ExNihilo
spelling/grammar

It was good, it was fun, and it was enjoyable.  :grin:

Not a must-watch-again film in the same way the first one wasn't, but very fun for a single watch.

On 7/7/2018 at 12:47 AM, ExNihilo said:

Wasps introduction/fight scene was very good.

Reveal hidden contents

I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me on this one, but here goes.

In the comics, Spider-Man is universally agreed upon as the "heart" of the Marvel Universe (616).  I think it has to do with his innocence, his will to do what's right, his perseverance, his down on his luck family man persona.  After re-watching Antman and then watching Antman and the Wasp, I feel like Scott Lang is filling that role for the MCU.  Sure, Cap has TONS of heart.  In TFA, Erskine points as his heart and tells him that that is his greatest strength.  But in the modern day scenes, what is he fighting for?  He's been a soldier fighting for his country.  Thor has been (at times) a hotheaded God seeking to rectify the mistakes of his family.  Iron Man is...well, Iron Man - a narcissist and egomaniac.  But Scott fights for family.  He fights for his daughter (the same way that Hank fights to protect Hope).  Scott doesn't ask to be a hero, but he's thrust into situations where it's clear that all he's looking for is to build a better world for Cassie.  He's looking to do right by her and to be the dad that perhaps he never had.  Moments like where he fashioned the giant ant tunnels in his house, or begging to take the video call, or asking Cassie what he should do.  And the heartfelt family moments aren't reserved for just Scott and Cassie.  It also extends to Hank, Janet, and Hope.  I dunno why, but Janet's last words in the opening flashback really struck me: "tell Hope I love her."  These are the only heroes in the MCU fighting for the most personal thing: family.  And for that reason, I feel like Scott has the most heart that we've seen so far.

Your "hidden contents" are spot on.  I would have not made that conclusion if you hadn't pointed it out, but you're 100% right.

35 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

Your "hidden contents" are spot on.  I would have not made that conclusion if you hadn't pointed it out, but you're 100% right.

well, they need something since they haven't gotten the FF right yet.

This is my least favorite Marvel movie. The first movie was Disniefied and this one more so. The plot holes are jarring. And the humor was forced. I sat in a full theater and there was hardly any laughing. The few scenes where the heroes actually do something are decent but too few and far between.

This is such an inconsequential Marvel movie. I recommend skipping this one at the theater and saving money.

After Panther and Avengers this was a big disappointment. Definitely kid safe and aimed at younger kids.

Edited by rjrjr

Well cast and enjoyable ... again.  Another well made movie that happens to have super-heroes as the main characters.

And for those of us old enough to have been comic book readers in the Silver/Bronze age... what the movies really capture SO well is the great days of Marvel continuity.  Back in the day, when you read Amazing Spider-Man, Spidey acted a certain way... and when he showed up in Marvel Team-Up that month, whatever had happened in ASM had actually happened.  And if Cap was the MTU guest? When you picked up Avengers, you might see him leave the Mansion with a note that says "want to see where Cap is going? Check out MTU #52 on sale this week!"    It all felt connected and consistent, and it was great!  The comics 100% do NOT feel like that anymore.   But the movies do!  And it's wonderful!  Different writers, different directors... but ONE universe.

Friends and I were enjoying the movie yesterday. I thought it did a bit better than the first movie. It is made for a wider range of moviegoers by age. I was in a near full theatre. The ending scene was interesting in tieing up for the next Avengers movie. The Wasp’s fighting scenes with the Ghost were good. 

Overall, it is a good fun movie. I would say 3 stars out of 5.

Agreed.  Light fare with likable characters, some fine humor, and a theme of family that worked well.  Not all the jokes landed for me, and I thought they tried to shoehorn in one too many plotlines/characters, but I'd give it a solid 'B' and look forward to seeing Scott Lang's role in Avengers 4.

Dan

saw this in 3d last night with some friends. I enjoyed it, lots of laughs and great action.

I give it an 8.0 out of 10, the same as the first film in the franchise. I enjoyed it more than Black Panther, I dare to say I enjoyed it about the same as Avengers Infinity War.

11 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

saw this in 3d last night with some friends. I enjoyed it, lots of laughs and great action.

I give it an 8.0 out of 10, the same as the first film in the franchise. I enjoyed it more than Black Panther, I dare to say I enjoyed it about the same as Avengers Infinity War.

We agree on these above highlighted points. 

Just another win for Marvel Studios! They get it. Every movie does not have to be a huge crossover with galactic ramifications/tie-ins. Some stories are just about the struggle in righting a wrong, using the characters available right there in your neighborhood. The Ant-Man franchise is excellent at this.