• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official AntMan #2 Movie Thread - Antman & the Wasp July 6th 2018
4 4

193 posts in this topic

On 7/15/2018 at 6:18 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

I live in New Hampshire.  Other than venturing to Red River in Concord or the Wilton movie theater, getting a chance to see these is a mission: impossible. lol 

But, I'll definitely watch them on Blu Ray/DVD.

Where in NH? North Hampton here :hi:

Domestically, the first Ant-Man movie was at $116 Million after 14 days, but did another $64 Million over the next 61 days - that's a nice set of legs for a lower budget superhero movie.

The sequel is at $145 Million domestically after 13 days.... 

just watched it.  It was funny but simple.  I think a really nice family movie.  I'm happy I watched it, but I don't think it will have the rewatchable value of other Marvel movies, nor am I that interested in a third movie.  I thought the ghost character was pretty compelling, and they could have gotten a little more out of her.

If you liked the first one and/or are tired of taking your kids to animated movies, this one is worth a look (especially with moviepass!).  Otherwise, its fine if you pass. 

Nowhere near as fun as the first one.

Love Michelle Pfeiffer, but have always had a crush on her.

They were pushing Luis Guisman's comedy WAY too hard. I would have rather seen more of russian Elvis.

Have not seen it yet, but word of mouth I have heard is that it is not as good as the first film (which I did not like either). 

Looking at the box office numbers, $600MM will be a stretch, but it should easily top $500MM worldwide which is still a win for a weak character property.

For some reason I have found it fascinating to compare this movies performance to Solo. Very telling when one of the weakest characters in the MCU outperforms Solo. 

Edited to add: red underline is the domestic total which varies by only 1% between the two movies. 

2018 Yearly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo 2018-08-27 09-52-46.png

Edited by RedRaven

1 hour ago, RedRaven said:

For some reason I have found it fascinating to compare this movies performance to Solo. Very telling when one of the weakest characters in the MCU outperforms Solo. 

Edited to add: red underline is the domestic total which varies by only 1% between the two movies. 

2018 Yearly Box Office Results - Box Office Mojo 2018-08-27 09-52-46.png

Solo was doomed to fail after the last main Star Wars flick turned off a lot of fans. 

M:I-F opens in China this coming weekend. I am curious to see how much of a drop off their is for Ant-Man 2 since the last M:I did so  well over there. 

In any case, it does look like $600M is more likely now, which is a huge win for Ant-Man as a property. It is likely the worst property that Marvel/Disney has, but it is still another money maker. 

21 hours ago, kimik said:

Solo was doomed to fail after the last main Star Wars flick turned off a lot of fans. 

Possibly in some measure. I wonder if the later generations just aren't as interested in the Star Wars Universe and see the MCU as their own cinematic mythology. A passing of the torch or something like that.

Edited by RedRaven

41 minutes ago, RedRaven said:

Possibly in some measure. I wonder if the later generations just aren't as interested in the Star Wars Universe and see the MCU as their own cinematic mythology. A passing of the torch or something like that.

That plays a part for sure. Super-heroes are the new Jedi.

However, they turned off a lot of their hard core fans with the latest "Got Milk" installment and Solo was their ability to protest the direction of the franchise. Having a weak film (I have not seen it, but I have heard from friends it is not good) did not help either.

3 hours ago, RedRaven said:

I think viewers under 30 enjoyed TLJ (which I think is a horrible film) and the future face of the SW franchise, but KK and Rian Johnson made a huge error in not respecting the "77 Star Wars" viewers, which is almost anyone that is Generation X.  That is a huge audience with massive purchasing power.  TLJ was a slap to the collective faces of that Gen X viewer group.  The box office return from Solo was the reply slap from the Gen X viewer group that the original canon is not to be defecated on.  I have faith in JJ Abrams, who understands he needs to fix Johnson's mess, and I expect his -script to get Star Wars moving in the right direction again. 

Notice how Marvel Studios embraces all generations to enjoy their films ... sit in to watch Ant-Man and you will see Baby Boomers (now heading into retirement), GenXers, Millennials, and teens/kids all in the theater.

Edited by zosocane

On 8/27/2018 at 9:56 AM, kimik said:

M:I-F opens in China this coming weekend. I am curious to see how much of a drop off their is for Ant-Man 2 since the last M:I did so  well over there. 

In any case, it does look like $600M is more likely now, which is a huge win for Ant-Man as a property. It is likely the worst property that Marvel/Disney has, but it is still another money maker. 

w/ $85MM in the bank in China through Tues, it'll be $95MM+ before MI:F opens and even w/ a 75% drop (which these things tend to have over there) it'll pass A-M's China total by the end of the weekend. $607MM WW gets the MCU to $4BB this year, that's a cool over/under target.