• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few pics from NYCC

159 posts in this topic

He means the pen & ink version (the published cover was the painted version) of the Spectacular Spider-Man #2 magazine cover featuring Spidey vs. the Goblin.

I didn't realize that it had sold; it sounded to me like it was still available from what some people were saying this evening at the Illustration House get-together. Can somebody confirm this one way or another?

Oh. Gotchas, Thanks for the clarification.

Great pics Ankur! Thanks! We non attendees need to see more!

Go over to Doc Joes Journal. The photo's start about half way down on page 600 and roll from there. Lots of comic pics and lots of OA booth pics. Very nice documentation of the NYCC so far in his travels at the show.

Thanks for posting so many Doc Joe!!!!!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=4656281&fpart=600

Bechara had all new stuff. You probably won't see too many updates on his website. I think attending shows or seeing pics posted here is the way to get fresh updates.

Contact him directly via email or telephone as you probably won't have $100,000 in cash on hand at the show anyway.

IMHO Bechara has one of the best collections. What you see is probably his third tier art. I love stopping by his booth.

Hans at Tri-State had some amazing twice up covers and splashes as well. The Infantino Flash / Mirror Master cover is right up Speedy's sweet spot.

Cheers!

N.

The big spiderman poster piece by Ron Frenz. $60k

lol

Was it drawn on the back side of the Shroud of Turin? :roflmao:

any price on the What If # 1 ?

$65K will get you either the What If? #1, X-Men #200 or Crisis #10 covers. :fear:

What a great deal...oh wait....you said "EITHER".

I thought that was the price for all three of these and the Frenz piece.

Doesn't matter. $65k for all those pieces TOGETHER still isn't a good deal.

IMHO Bechara has one of the best collections. What you see is probably his third tier art. I love stopping by his booth.

Cheers!

N.

"Collection" is a good word for it. LIke a museum "collection, or a personal "collection".

$65K will get you either the What If? #1, X-Men #200 or Crisis #10 covers. :fear:

65k for WhatIf # 1 aint bad

Are we both talking American Dollars?

It's a cobbled together cover with about 7 credits isn't it? The big name in that list (Romita) only did alterations. It's also small art.

Maybe if this were ALL Romita it would command a premium, but small art completed by "M. Hands"? I can't see it.

Feels 'Triple-y' as to where it would actually sell.

It's a cobbled together cover with about 7 credits isn't it? The big name in that list (Romita) only did alterations. It's also small art.

Maybe if this were ALL Romita it would command a premium, but small art completed by "M. Hands"? I can't see it.

The selling point is that its the OA to "What If" # 1

I liken it to a Warhol piece done by "the Factory"

Warhol sometimes only had minimal involvement in a piece but its still considered a Warhol

took this pic yesterday at heritage booth

2mo1mcg.jpg

Only $100k hm

Relative to the price of high graded slabbed comic books, this piece of OA seems cheap at 100k to me

Have you seen the price of Werewolf by Night ? Fantastastic Four # 44 ? Spiderman # 2 ?

Its crazy out there in comic book land

2mo1mcg.jpg

Only $100k hm

Relative to the price of high graded slabbed comic books, this piece of OA seems cheap at 100k to me

Have you seen the price of Werewolf by Night ? Fantastastic Four # 44 ? Spiderman # 2 ?

Its crazy out there in comic book land

$100k seems really cheap to me. I will bid on this one for sure but suspect I will be out within the first few days.

This is the scenario, widespread (so not yet), where bubbles burst.

Everybody is a Donnelly-seller, but nobody is a buyer.

Because you know this year's NYCC $65k (unsold) is next year's SDCC $80k. lol

But if What If? #1 is your cover, the only one you lust after, it's only $80k or whatever.

Imagine coming into this hobby to actually get a single piece and then stepping off?

$80k would be a bargain!

Yeah. That's not me either. But as I view The Hoard, having been at this for nearly thirty years (hoo-HAH!) and think of what ten pieces I'd keep in a liquidation and what five pieces I'd (finally man up and) add with a portion of the proceeds...it sorta works. In the same way stepping in, spending your (much overpriced) $80k, and walking right back out does. I know some of you guys have done that, cashed out in a way that changes your lifestyle (preferably while you still have some life left to live!) while vastly increasing your average quality as well. Getting to be me a little more everyday.

The selling point is that its the OA to "What If" # 1

I liken it to a Warhol piece done by "the Factory"

Warhol sometimes only had minimal involvement in a piece but its still considered a Warhol

The next time this analogy applies to comic art will be the first time this analogy applies to comic art.

Yeah it just doesn't work. What if 1 for 65 k is pretty well obscene 2c

Spidey 98 will auction for way more than 100k IMO. That's just a ( conservative ) estimate

Yeah it just doesn't work. What if 1 for 65 k is pretty well obscene 2c

Spidey 98 will auction for way more than 100k IMO. That's just a ( conservative ) estimate

True.

There's a big difference between:

"Oh, man I REMEMBER THAT COVER!!!" :cloud9: <3

and

"Oh, yeah...I remember that cover." hm

One signifies the firm grasping of your 'Nostalgia Nuts'™, and the other is more passing familiarity and a... meh

Even if that cover hits someone's nostalgic g-spot, there are far less expensive ways to get off at a far more reasonable value.

2mo1mcg.jpg

Only $100k hm

Let's assume for argument's sake that this cover by Gil Kane sells for $150K. I don't know if that's high or low, but let's just say for fun, 'what if' John Romita Sr. illustrated this cover exactly the same image, size, condition, etc.

If the Kane sold for $150K, what would you expect the Romita Sr cover would sell for? (shrug)