• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A few pics from NYCC

159 posts in this topic

Bechara had all new stuff. You probably won't see too many updates on his website. I think attending shows or seeing pics posted here is the way to get fresh updates.

Contact him directly via email or telephone as you probably won't have $100,000 in cash on hand at the show anyway.

IMHO Bechara has one of the best collections. What you see is probably his third tier art. I love stopping by his booth.

Hans at Tri-State had some amazing twice up covers and splashes as well. The Infantino Flash / Mirror Master cover is right up Speedy's sweet spot.

Cheers!

N.

Yep! That thing lodged itself right in my Sweet Spot, but I didn't have the green to keep it there. :(

Bechara had all new stuff. You probably won't see too many updates on his website. I think attending shows or seeing pics posted here is the way to get fresh updates.

Contact him directly via email or telephone as you probably won't have $100,000 in cash on hand at the show anyway.

IMHO Bechara has one of the best collections. What you see is probably his third tier art. I love stopping by his booth.

Hans at Tri-State had some amazing twice up covers and splashes as well. The Infantino Flash / Mirror Master cover is right up Speedy's sweet spot.

Cheers!

N.

Yep! That thing lodged itself right in my Sweet Spot, but I didn't have the green to keep it there. :(

What number was the Flash ? Please and Thanks.

Cheers!

N.

FLSHX_146_zps25d0d646.jpg

Cheers!

N.

Thats a nice one.

Any idea what Hans was asking ?

any price on the What If # 1 ?

$65K will get you either the What If? #1, X-Men #200 or Crisis #10 covers. :fear:

65k for WhatIf # 1 aint bad

Are we both talking American Dollars?

It's a cobbled together cover with about 7 credits isn't it? The big name in that list (Romita) only did alterations. It's also small art.

Maybe if this were ALL Romita it would command a premium, but small art completed by "M. Hands"? I can't see it.

Feels 'Triple-y' as to where it would actually sell.

The selling point is that its the OA to "What If" # 1

I liken it to a Warhol piece done by "the Factory"

Warhol sometimes only had minimal involvement in a piece but its still considered a Warhol

And in this case the members of the "factory" aren't anonymous assistants.

Also, is it also a good piece of comic art? Seems like it is. A first issue of a known and well-remembered series, with good images and top tier characters, and with Romita in charge.

Sometimes Kirby did only layouts while a penciller finished the drawings and an inker came aboard after that. There may not be any actual graphite left on the page put there by Kirby but it's called a Kirby 'cause it's known the lesser artists followed his lead. Other times it's clear that lesser artists started a piece and the big name came in to finish it up (Kirby and romita both did that a lot). In those cases it generally is (or should be) the big name is often considered the main artist because they had the biggest influence on the image.

You could say that's about the owner wanting to put the biggest name first. But at Marvel the biggest names were less likely to be altered, either out of respect. And in other cases the big name let someone else start a piece of art but the big name was in charge of the final image. (not unlike Warhol in his factory)

Of course people will mention Kirby's involvement on a piece to add to the price tag. However, Kirby plotting goes for less than Kirby layouts which goes for less than Kirby full pencils. It's not like attaching his name changes the level of involvement, and it really doesn't give credence to a price out of line with that level of involvement.

Romita is only credited with corrections and alterations on that cover. If I were a buyer I'd be extremely wary of anyone exaggerating his involvement beyond that level without documented proof.

Cheers!

N.

Thats a nice one.

Any idea what Hans was asking ?

Anyone got a photo of it?

any price on the What If # 1 ?

$65K will get you either the What If? #1, X-Men #200 or Crisis #10 covers. :fear:

65k for WhatIf # 1 aint bad

Are we both talking American Dollars?

It's a cobbled together cover with about 7 credits isn't it? The big name in that list (Romita) only did alterations. It's also small art.

Maybe if this were ALL Romita it would command a premium, but small art completed by "M. Hands"? I can't see it.

Feels 'Triple-y' as to where it would actually sell.

The selling point is that its the OA to "What If" # 1

I liken it to a Warhol piece done by "the Factory"

Warhol sometimes only had minimal involvement in a piece but its still considered a Warhol

And in this case the members of the "factory" aren't anonymous assistants.

Also, is it also a good piece of comic art? Seems like it is. A first issue of a known and well-remembered series, with good images and top tier characters, and with Romita in charge.

Sometimes Kirby did only layouts while a penciller finished the drawings and an inker came aboard after that. There may not be any actual graphite left on the page put there by Kirby but it's called a Kirby 'cause it's known the lesser artists followed his lead. Other times it's clear that lesser artists started a piece and the big name came in to finish it up (Kirby and romita both did that a lot). In those cases it generally is (or should be) the big name is often considered the main artist because they had the biggest influence on the image.

You could say that's about the owner wanting to put the biggest name first. But at Marvel the biggest names were less likely to be altered, either out of respect. And in other cases the big name let someone else start a piece of art but the big name was in charge of the final image. (not unlike Warhol in his factory)

Of course people will mention Kirby's involvement on a piece to add to the price tag. However, Kirby plotting goes for less than Kirby layouts which goes for less than Kirby full pencils. It's not like attaching his name changes the level of involvement, and it really doesn't give credence to a price out of line with that level of involvement.

Romita is only credited with corrections and alterations on that cover. If I were a buyer I'd be extremely wary of anyone exaggerating his involvement beyond that level without documented proof.

Wasn't trying to imply that the value is the same regardless of whether some big artist does a piece 100% or 5%. But I think it does matter which artist was "in charge" of the final image. Romita was art director at the time, so it's very likely he had significant input on the layout and the art. I don't know what corrections or changes he made on it, but I've seen in some cases that his corrections completely altered the focal point of the piece in question. If he left all the background unchanged and only did the faces and key points of anatomy, etc the percentage of the cover with his work might be small, but his impact on the final appearance of it could still be very large.

I have seen pieces on which Kirby was only credited with layouts and it's clear that sometimes Kirby did work that was more detailed than other times. Perhaps it mattered which artist he knew would be doing the finished pencils. And perhaps sometimes he just wanted to finish a face or a figure because he felt like it. Should we value these pieces only by some mathematical formula? Kirby only listed as layouts always equals X percent, inker 1 always equals Y percent while inker 2 always equals Z? Twice up always equals twice as much as standard? Some pieces Kirby only did layouts on look more like Kirby to me than other pieces he's given full pencils on, sometimes because of the inker and sometimes just because Kirby's work on the full pencils page isn't as good.

I have no dog in the What if 1 cover value fight, but I remember the cover and either romita did more than just small corrections or the other artists did an exceptional job capturing his style (or following his instructions). It's also a first issue (and all the other things mentioned earlier). Do I think 65K is high? Yeah, I'd agree with you that it's high. But of all the things I've seen sell for 65K or more which I think are worth much, much less, the What If 1 cover would very very far down on that list.

Hey Nelson, I missed seeing you (must have stepped away) and although Hans & I were sharing the booth the Large Art Covers & Splashes were being sold by Will's Comic Art Page...me :)

so, that begs the question...

How much is the Flash cover ?

John Romita

Attributed to John Romita

Workshop of John Romita

School of John Romita

Circle of John Romita

Manner of John Romita

After John Romita

:insane:

... As I am on the subject, anybody knows what the ask was for J Lee's cover of Uncanny 269 (Rogue vs Ms Marvel...sort of...)?

Calro Michelini

... Don't hold me to it, but I think I overheard that the Lee cover was $65K. Which led multiple people to comment half-jokingly that "$65K is the new $20K". I also heard that the hashtag #BecharaPricing has been trending on Twitter this weekend.*

*No, it hasn't. :P

Not sure how it changes anyone's reaction, but during ComicArtCon the quoted price for the Jim Lee cover was $75K.

... As I am on the subject, anybody knows what the ask was for J Lee's cover of Uncanny 269 (Rogue vs Ms Marvel...sort of...)?

Calro Michelini

... Don't hold me to it, but I think I overheard that the Lee cover was $65K. Which led multiple people to comment half-jokingly that "$65K is the new $20K". I also heard that the hashtag #BecharaPricing has been trending on Twitter this weekend.*

*No, it hasn't. :P

Not sure how it changes anyone's reaction, but during ComicArtCon the quoted price for the Jim Lee cover was $75K.

I'm fairly sure that was the price at NYCC as well ($75K).