• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hate Me!!! (NYCC 2015 Report)

76 posts in this topic

Whoopi Goldberg & Agent Coulson were shopping at the CBLDF booth

KCTRLR.jpg

Looks like the actress that plays Skye / Daisy behind him too.

Yeah, I didn't know who she was but other folks were all excited.

Does that secret service looking guy actually have an ear piece in (to the right of Daisy)? They must be worried about an attack of geeks!

KCTRLR.jpg

Does that secret service looking guy actually have an ear piece in (to the right of Daisy)? They must be worried about an attack of geeks!

Is Whoopi doing a Rick James Cosplay?

rick%20james_zpsr7lzmvhm.png

KCTRLR.jpg

Whoopi had a fairly sizable entourage around her when I saw her sweep by.

Either way, it's huge. It gets crazy crowded...I'm not sure how having more people crammed in there would be a good thing. If it's a few thousand short of SDCC, that sounds like good news to me.

Yeah, Saturday, in particular, whatever their capacity is, they were at it.

One thing that struck me was how well behaved the crowds were despite how packed it was and how difficult it was to navigate in certain (on Saturday, I would say most) areas.

There were very few NYCC staff people walking around, at least that I noticed, particularly in the entry area, which was really packed. If disputes broke out, people were going to have to work things out for themselves. My impression, at any rate.

Here are a few more, including Kevin Eastman (The MAN), who I got to get a little sketch from, Eric Talbot and the only full sketch I got this year (Mikey), and some other coolness. I got to meet Mike (Romita Man) and drool over his artwork. I may be purchasing some soon, as my love for art keeps growing. I also got to meet Akoni (Kaholo) who's an awesome guy, and see my main man Glen (PeasOfCrap) I also had an nice time speaking to Greg Reece and his fam, and finally got to formally meet Roy at Vintage Comics. For those who don't know, Roy has got the goods. No joke. A great guy to boot!

I didn't get to see you this year Speedy (that sucked), but there's always next year. It would have been nice to talk.

Enjoy!

image_zps5z5gzxzh.jpeg

image_zpssuzrahca.jpeg

image_zpszzwdwalo.jpeg

image_zpszmv2lzjd.jpeg

image_zpslrnwhf6b.jpeg

image_zpsodf96aqb.jpeg

image_zpskgd1sjnh.jpeg

image_zpszdsq377g.jpeg

image_zps16iwlfi9.jpeg

image_zpshe0rmvqr.jpeg

image_zpsf3krxtnq.jpeg

Why should we hate you? You worked hard taking those pics! I'm surprised by the paucity of NYCC threads given that I know dozens of boardies must have been there.

I went all 4 days, but admittedly for no more than 5 hours on any given day and sunday was just a bit over 3 hours as we got there a little before 2 thinking it closed at 6, not 5. 3+ hours was plenty though.

The 4 year old came on Saturday. Had a blast with his older (10) brother. Wanted to come back on Sunday, but there was no way I would take him without his mother holding his hand and she was not coming.

Loaded up on my usual cheap books. Nothing more than $5. Mostly $1-$2 books. I am probably hurting myself with that method as better stuff has better upside, but the fact is the dealers make fewer mistakes, it seems, on expensive stuff. I still spent almost $900. I just happened to be lucky that I got paid before the show and got a retroactive lump payment for a raise that had been delayed 9 months, so I just happened to have extra in my paycheck. I promised my wife I would go into overdrive selling to make sure to get back the $900. I actually don't think it will be that hard, just time consuming, and my guess is that when I hit that number (net of fees) I will still have 60-75% of what I bought at the show unsold. Most of that will go into the aging chamber.

Props to the "451" guys who gave out a ton of comics. Also McFarlane toys. I'm sure I missed out on some other freebies. It was crazy and I had kids with me 3 of the 4 days, so I was limited.

Lesson learned: Just because the guys with the overpriced books that said "$10" on them made them 3 for $10 on Sunday does not mean those were good deals. In all fairness, I did pretty well with 3 for $10 stuff with them last year, but this year, not so much, but that's on me, alas, I overestimated what some things are worth. I'll make money on what I don't keep long-term, but it will be more work than I had hoped for.

My wife's comments (summarized): "Freaks everywhere. And where are all these hot chicks I read about? I hardly see any. I see a lot of women who shouldn't be showing skin and some with big boobs and not much else."

(My wife has high standards in terms of what constitutes a hot chick apparently.)

Thanks for sharing Speedy, Blob and everyone else.

Since you mentioned it Blob, I'll share my experience. At first I was reluctant to cause I just felt a small over whelm-ness of the whole thing and I didn't get as much done as I would of liked to. There was so much to do, and not enough time.

Thread coming soon with pics.