• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dallas Fan Days February 13-14 2016

94 posts in this topic

I hope people give this show a chance despite a weaker comic book guest list this time a round. The dealer room, which never gets talked about enough any more, will be packed with comics. Rob from Monster's Lair (Board Member) will be there and I know he just got in a couple of long boxes of Silver and Bronze age comics with plenty of keys including a ST 110. Boyd from Black Cat Comics (Board Member) will be there and he hasn't done a show in four months so he has been stocking up on keys. He told me he has a magazine box full of Silver, Bronze and Golden age books he has never brought to a show. Rick from Rick's Comic Crypt (Board Member) will be there with his typical 2 booth set-up and he always has a great wall of comics as well as tables full of good, affordable comics. Bob Storm with High Grade Comics (Board Member) will have an inventory there and he always has great stuff. This will be the first time he has had books at this show. Scott Smithheart with Comics Kingdom from Beaumont will be there and he hasn't done a Dallas show in a year. Within the last two weeks, he has picked up a nice batch of Golden Age books and pulps that have never been to a show. We will be there with hundreds of boxes of comics from all eras, starting at $1 and going up. We will also have been adding lots of new wall books to the inventory including a full run of the Neal Adams Green Lantern comics, X-Men #1, Aquaman #1, FF 48 plus hundreds more. Finally, the room will be peppered with other smaller, local dealers that all have hidden gems in the boxes. So, while the guest list might be weak, the dealer room will be strong so I hope you guys come out and oh, I don't know, buy some comics at the show!!

I hope people give this show a chance despite a weaker comic book guest list this time a round. The dealer room, which never gets talked about enough any more, will be packed with comics. Rob from Monster's Lair (Board Member) will be there and I know he just got in a couple of long boxes of Silver and Bronze age comics with plenty of keys including a ST 110. Boyd from Black Cat Comics (Board Member) will be there and he hasn't done a show in four months so he has been stocking up on keys. He told me he has a magazine box full of Silver, Bronze and Golden age books he has never brought to a show. Rick from Rick's Comic Crypt (Board Member) will be there with his typical 2 booth set-up and he always has a great wall of comics as well as tables full of good, affordable comics. Bob Storm with High Grade Comics (Board Member) will have an inventory there and he always has great stuff. This will be the first time he has had books at this show. Scott Smithheart with Comics Kingdom from Beaumont will be there and he hasn't done a Dallas show in a year. Within the last two weeks, he has picked up a nice batch of Golden Age books and pulps that have never been to a show. We will be there with hundreds of boxes of comics from all eras, starting at $1 and going up. We will also have been adding lots of new wall books to the inventory including a full run of the Neal Adams Green Lantern comics, X-Men #1, Aquaman #1, FF 48 plus hundreds more. Finally, the room will be peppered with other smaller, local dealers that all have hidden gems in the boxes. So, while the guest list might be weak, the dealer room will be strong so I hope you guys come out and oh, I don't know, buy some comics at the show!!

:applause:

Looking forward to seeing you Andy!

On the comic guest side, a last minute change: Writer Donny Cates is ill, so his spot in the pro guest section will be taken by BEN DUNN (Ninja High School).

While the show has a really great Arrow-centric celebrity line up, Dallas Fan Days has some comic guests worth checking out.

Spotlight guests include:

Eisner-award winning artist CHRIS SPROUSE (of Tom Strong, Multiversity, the recent Thors mini-series and a zillion Marvel and DC projects), you'll never meet a nicer, more humbler, guy with over 27 years of pro comics work under his belt. And he usually has stacks of original art with him to sell and does great commission sketches.

Another comics vet with over two decades of work as a pro artist, MIKE PERKINS (currently doing Carnage for Marvel with writer Gerry Conway but has done a lot of great work for Marvel over the last decade including some standout issues of Captain America during Ed Brubaker's run and of course was the artist on Stephen King's The Stand comics). Mike also does some amazing commissions and should have some original artwork and prints available at the show.

If you are not familiar with the work of image comics artist ANDY BELANGER, than you should be. The guy is a madman, and his work on comics like IDW's Kill Shakespeare and the recently collected SOUTHERN CROSS series is amazing. He's a guy to watch, and he is also doing commissions at the show. If he has copies of his Black Mass comic with him, you should definitely check it out.

BRENT PEEPLES (Legenderry: Green Hornet) is another guy to watch. He was just announced as the artist for Dynamite's upcoming GOLD KEY ALLIANCE featuring the return of Turok, Magnus Robot Fighter, Solar Man of the Atom. The Mighty Samson and more.

And of course I know Dallas Comic Con fans are familiar with comics legends NEAL ADAMS and VAL MAYERIK as well as local pros like JOE EISMA (Image Comics Morning Glories) and STEVE ERWIN (Deathstroke the Terminator).

On Saturday, at 2 there is a panel with Chris Sprouse, Mike Perkins and Val Mayerik. On Sunday at 2 Andy Belanger and Southern Cross are featured.

We have a lot of great comic guests lined up for Fan Expo Dallas in June, it is the big one and you will not be disappointed. You'll find out who when the announcements start rolling out. There will be a big announcement next week when tickets go on sale to kick it off.

The Fan Expo store will be set up at Dallas Fan Days, selling exclusives from previous events like the Angry Groot Pop Vinyl, variant comics like Deadpool's Secret Wars #1 and Star Wars #1, autographed photos and more.

Next weekend!

We'll be there with plenty of fresh books at the Monster's Lair booth! :banana:

Have fun, gentlemen! I hope you have many nice sales.

You're not going to make it? :sorry:

No, I didn't make it this time. I'm not big on Arrow, despite my personal affinity for Black Canary (one of my favorite characters!).

Right now, I'm looking at the Final Four, WrestleMania, and the Madison Wizard World (I'll be visiting my family in Michigan, as well) in early April, my friend's wedding in Virginia in August, and there's a plethora of signings going on that I'm trying to scrape together some funds for. . . I didn't feel like I could make this show.

I still am concerned about late-May/early-June. I'd love to hit all those shows, but it'll have to be well-planned on my part.

I've purchased books from many of these folks, and always been pleased.

Going forward I will have people at most of the upcoming Texas shows so if there is inventory on my website that customers want to see at the shows please email and I will ship the books to Jeff and Darlene for your viewing. There is no obligation to buy.

We are working on a feature where inventory can be viewed by location which will allow customers attending these shows to see what inventory is in Texas. Today that inventory is not visible on the website.

Hope everyone enjoys the show today

Going forward I will have people at most of the upcoming Texas shows so if there is inventory on my website that customers want to see at the shows please email and I will ship the books to Jeff and Darlene for your viewing. There is no obligation to buy.

We are working on a feature where inventory can be viewed by location which will allow customers attending these shows to see what inventory is in Texas. Today that inventory is not visible on the website.

Hope everyone enjoys the show today

Just saw the booth and met Jeff, it's a great setup!

I watched a few video diaries and the WWE footage from Stardust's crashing of Stephen Amell's panel. Show looked busy. Big thanks to DCC vets Mark Walters and Moises Chiullan for their help with the comics guests. Can't wait to come down for Fan Expo Dallas in June and be part of the actual event.

Finally got around to downloading my photos and editing some (while I should have been doing other work).

It was a fun show as usual, the crowd was huge and some of them were spending money! Our sales at the Monster's Lair booth were a little better than October. We got to meet Nikelspot, who was in town for the first time, and yagyare and evilawd also stopped by for a bit.

Monster's Lair booth

ML.jpg

A sliver of Duncanville's booth

Duncan.jpg

High Grade Comics (their first appearance in Texas, looking forward to more)

HG.jpg

Another comic booth whose name escapes me

Booth.jpg

The General Lee made an appearance, and on one of my two trips up to the main celeb room I managed to snap this photo of Stephen Amell before I was tackled by a volunteer.

GL.jpg

Amell.jpg

It was a fun show as always, got to hang out with Boyd from Black Cat comics (bcc on the boards) and Rick & Suzanne from Rick's Comic Crypt (bubbagump here). Andy from Duncanville was also great, and provided some serious assistance over the weekend that was much appreciated. We're already looking forward to June!