• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

Recent pickup. I've been procrastinating picking up one of these for years, to go with my 17, 20 and 22, which I consider the top four CSS covers. It had always seemed available and inexpensive, so there was no rush, but it's been picking up some steam in the last year or so, and I started throwing out bids on a number of copies until I snagged one at a price I was happy with. 

css19.thumb.jpg.de5d7b6cf6b92813a23bbaad01cbe1d5.jpg

2 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Recent pickup. I've been procrastinating picking up one of these for years, to go with my 17, 20 and 22, which I consider the top four CSS covers. It had always seemed available and inexpensive, so there was no rush, but it's been picking up some steam in the last year or so, and I started throwing out bids on a number of copies until I snagged one at a price I was happy with. 

Great pick-up. The only Feldstein cover to make the top 4 CSS you mention. Also my top 4 and I’ve been putting this one off to add to 17, 20, & 22. Guess I will eventually pick one up.

35 minutes ago, rjpb said:

Nice pick up. Seems to be around a lot though. The thing about ECs is they are usually available (for the most part) if you are patient. I like your short list. All great contenders. There are so many great covers in the run. Here is another one I would include in that list...

comcrimesuspense16.jpg

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Nice pick up. Seems to be around a lot though. The thing about ECs is they are usually available (for the most part) if you are patient. I like your short list. All great contenders. There are so many great covers in the run. Here is another one I would include in that list...

comcrimesuspense16.jpg

I may have to get me one of those. Yeah, there's not much "thrill of the hunt" with ECs outside trying to find them for bargain price, one reason I've never really gone after them, and of course reprints are readily available for reading. I do love crime comics though, which is why I have any ECs at all. Fortunately I bought copies of 20 and 22 years ago when they were still cheap. Pound for pound EC crime books are the best reading in the genre, and they were Johnny Craig's playground, who IMHO is the greatest of a talented pool of EC artists and perfect for conveying the noirish atmosphere of the EC crime stories.

1 hour ago, rjpb said:

$315?  I guess some ECs are getting out of my price range...(shrug)

4 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

$315?  I guess some ECs are getting out of my price range...(shrug)

It's seeing upward movement, as are ECs in general. Still, raw VG copies are going for over $200, so I thought it was a decent price. 

3 minutes ago, rjpb said:

It's seeing upward movement, as are ECs in general. Still, raw VG copies are going for over $200, so I thought it was a decent price. 

Yeah, I saw some of the prices.  Looks like you got a good deal considering what some dealers want.  Auctions seem to be the best way to go, unless it's a real popular dealer, then you never know what will happen.  I've given up on ever winning anything from Blissard...:whatthe:  I bought most of my ECs a long time ago, so these prices are totally foreign to me...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

2 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

Yeah, I saw some of the prices.  Looks like you got a good deal considering what some dealers want.  Auctions seem to be the best way to go, unless it's a real popular dealer, then you never know what will happen.  I've given up on ever winning anything from Blissard...:whatthe:  I bought most of my ECs a long time ago, so these prices are totally foreign to me...

Most of what I buy I get at auction. Stuff always slips through. The bigger dealers sometimes are slow to catch the rise of particular genres and books, Terry O'Neill once said to me when I was buying a stack of books from him at a con, "You're the guy that buys my mistakes".

Just now, rjpb said:

Most of what I buy I get at auction. Stuff always slips through. The bigger dealers sometimes are slow to catch the rise of particular genres and books, Terry O'Neill once said to me when I was buying a stack of books from him at a con, "You're the guy that buys my mistakes".

lol  Terry doesn't make too many mistakes anymore...

6 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I got this low grade book at Terry's show 2 years ago for $45.  The dealer seemed insulted by my offer, but sold it anyway...

46899311052_1dc437638d_c.jpg

Do you feel guilty of low balling the poor dealer lol