• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It would be Criminal not to show your CRIME comics!
20 20

2,426 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Finding high grade Fox crime is pretty tough due to the very poor paper and production quality. Here is one of my favorite Fox crime books.

commurderinc.jpg

One I don't have. I should have hunted one down years ago, but tended to buy the Fox crime on a whim when it made itself available, without much of a want list. I've seen some nutso prices on this book. Sure, a red dress babe showing some leg and cleavage while being trussed up is worth a few extra bucks, but that sort of thing can be found on pulp covers for under $100 every day.   

Murder Incorporated is one of the better Fox crime titles for covers, and for the title itself.

31 minutes ago, rjpb said:

One I don't have. I should have hunted one down years ago, but tended to buy the Fox crime on a whim when it made itself available, without much of a want list. I've seen some nutso prices on this book. Sure, a red dress babe showing some leg and cleavage while being trussed up is worth a few extra bucks, but that sort of thing can be found on pulp covers for under $100 every day.   

Murder Incorporated is one of the better Fox crime titles for covers, and for the title itself.

I bought Fox Crime much the same way. There were only a few I specifically seemed out. Rarely just because of the covers. SOTI comes to mind. 

Although what you say about the pulp covers is very true, there has always been something special with covers like this on comic books usually aimed at kids. Crime, horror, GGA and even some super heroes with lurid covers have always appealed to me. Something about being openly available to kids give it that “forbidden fruit” appeal,

Yeah, titles like Murder Inc and Crimes by Women must have really grabbed young eyes on the newstand. 

4 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I bought Fox Crime much the same way. There were only a few I specifically seemed out. Rarely just because of the covers. SOTI comes to mind. 

Although what you say about the pulp covers is very true, there has always been something special with covers like this on comic books usually aimed at kids. Crime, horror, GGA and even some super heroes with lurid covers have always appealed to me. Something about being openly available to kids give it that “forbidden fruit” appeal,

Yeah, titles like Murder Inc and Crimes by Women must have really grabbed young eyes on the newstand. 

I totally agree, a big reason today's collectors seek out rather tame stuff, both measured against other mediums of the day, and comics from more recent decades, but that seem all the more salacious as much of the audience for this stuff were impressionable kids.  There is also the appeal of pin-up style art in general, which ironically has only grown, even as far more explicit stuff is available. There is always something sexy about the "tease" that is missing when everything gets shown.

It's criminal to let this thread fall so far.  One of my favorites to browse and enjoy.  Currently thinking of joining the gang with some crime purchases.  Would be interested to know what are some of everyone's favorite covers, favorite runs, and the grails of the crime book scene. I have been researching, and I really like the Authentic Police Cases covers and the Crime Does Not Pay run. Anxious to hear from the experienced outlaws here.  Since I have included too many crime analogies for one post already I will shut-up and enjoy your knowledge on the matter.

1 hour ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

It's criminal to let this thread fall so far.  One of my favorites to browse and enjoy.  Currently thinking of joining the gang with some crime purchases.  Would be interested to know what are some of everyone's favorite covers, favorite runs, and the grails of the crime book scene. I have been researching, and I really like the Authentic Police Cases covers and the Crime Does Not Pay run. Anxious to hear from the experienced outlaws here.  Since I have included too many crime analogies for one post already I will shut-up and enjoy your knowledge on the matter.

Personally, I buy to read, so the contents of a book usually overshadow the cover illustration AFA desirability.  That said, I have a full run of "Wanted", and almost every pre-code issue of CDNP.  Those two titles IMNSHO are some of the best readers.  Also in the group would be any of the Fox crime books, and Story Comics "Fight Against Crime", which is sort of an imitation of EC's "Crime SuspenStories", in a class by itself.  L.B. Cole books, (Star Publications) "Crime Fighting Detective", "Criminals On The Run", "Thrilling Crime Cases", etc., also provide good reads.  There are many, many pre code crime titles worth obtaining, either for the cover, the read, or both.

Grails might include True Crime 2 and Fight Against Crime 20.

The only downside of Authentic Police Cases and the Star books, is that one will pay a premium for the Matt Baker, & L.B. Cole cover illustrations.

CDNP 26.jpg

Crimes By Women 2.jpg

Famous Crimes 1.jpg

Lawbreakers SS 11.jpg

Real Clue Crime V8 #2.jpg

Wanted 33.JPG