• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eBay Sellers, Padded Envelopes and Backer Boards NOT SAFE for shipping!

68 posts in this topic

Hi all. I'm starting to get a bit miffed about some eBay seller's shipping standards. I just recently bid on what would have been a pristine contender for a 9.8 on Solar: Man of the Atom 10 and offered to pay extra for shipping to ensure it comes in a box. All the seller said was not to worry about paying extra as they always pack everything well before shipping. Of course, I get a bubble mailer with the comic in it, protected by two magazine-sized backer boards. No surprise, but now there's three very large color breaking stress lines.

When will sellers learn? I'm thinking this warrants a negative, if for no other reason but make him think twice before using such a poor comic shipping method in the future.

Mostly I find this annoying because you clearly asked to have the book very well protected, and even offered to pay extra for shipping.

I know I have done so a few times and experienced similar disappointments. Once with a rare 1940s french comic which survived for 70+ years in pristine condition and the carelessness of the dealer in packing it mildly damaged the cover.

I generally do not use boxes for single or few books, but I make sure they are packed in ways they will not get any damage (layers of cardboard, wrapping, cardboard mailers, etc.).

The bottom line to me is that you get to know a seller when you have bought at least once from him. :shrug:

Does the box weigh 7 pounds in this example?

well, a 13 ounce envelope, which is 1-2 bagged and boarded comics with 3-4 pieces of solid cardboard is under $4, put it in a box and the weight goes up to priority mail levels and the cost to ship it from NY to CA goes up to about $10. So more than a $6 difference in that example. It will make less of a difference shipping it to New Jersey.

Does the box weigh 7 pounds in this example?

if the comics weigh seven pounds they should go in a box regardless. unless it is a box inside a giant padded envelope, no envelope will be sufficient.

I recently purchased Superman Red Son 1-3 from ebay as it was described as in "new condition". prior to him shipping I inquired about how it would be shipped and I was assured that it would be protected with cardboard in a padded package. When it arrived it was sent in a padded envelope, however the cardboard he spoke of was card stock between the comics and the all 3 issues inserted loose into a file folder... I was shocked. He didn't even secure the comics with tape. On top of the pitting on the covers that was not disclosed in the auction, there were spine fractures and corner damage to the comics. Fortunately, he was willing to take them back as they were not in the condition he described them to be.

I sell comics all the time on ebay and haven't had a problem with 2 oversized cardboard pieces & padded envelope shipping with 1 or 2 comics. I'm also a consistent buyer and haven't had issues receiving single comics this way either.

Whenever I ship an expensive, single comic, say $20 and over, I ship more carefully. That means usually more layers of thicker cardboard or better yet, stiff plastic oversized pieces (the same ones they use for yard signs). Those work really well because they are very strong and lightweight.

When I have had problems the packing was clearly insufficient. Once I recall I received a ASM #36 (9/11 issue) shipped UPS in just a thin envelope - and sure enough it had a completely ruined spine. Other times it was similar packaging, with just a thin envelope and maybe a regular comic backing board or flimsy paperboard. These were from people who clearly didn't sell much or sell comics often.

More than 2 comics and I always use a box. There's no reason not to because you can't use First Class anymore and the weight makes an envelope too flimsy.

Although I always box expensive books, I have actually had many more problems receiving damaged items which are boxed.

Envelope-type packages seem to be delivered here in NYC via the regular mailperson, and as long as the package is rigid they seem to arrive in excellent shape.

Boxes, on the other hand, are processed and grouped with other boxes, and I have had a few arrive that look as though a refrigerator was dropped on them. Crushed and/or punctured boxes are not uncommon here, so I'd really prefer people ship to me in envelopes (sandwiched between stiff cardboard of course).

You can open an Ebay case and click the item that says item was damaged. Ebay will print a free label for the return.

The seller will be out for shipping to you and return so hopefully will have learned a lesson. You should not give negative feedback if he does this. You can make a comment that needs to work on packaging the comics.

Why wouldn't you leave a negative? The seller packed it poorly and is causing you (the customer) to go through the hassle of dealing with them for the return, opening a return, buying some type of return envelop/box to ship the comic back in, and going to the post office to ship it back. That's a bunch of work that the customer shouldn't have had to do if the seller had packaged the comic correctly. More often than not the seller didn't package it correctly because they didn't want to be charged an additional $ 3 or $ 4 bucks if they went into the next weight tier.

The only way most eBay sellers change their behavior is to have a ding on their feedback.

You can open an Ebay case and click the item that says item was damaged. Ebay will print a free label for the return.

The seller will be out for shipping to you and return so hopefully will have learned a lesson. You should not give negative feedback if he does this. You can make a comment that needs to work on packaging the comics.

Why wouldn't you leave a negative? The seller packed it poorly and is causing you (the customer) to go through the hassle of dealing with them for the return, opening a return, buying some type of return envelop/box to ship the comic back in, and going to the post office to ship it back. That's a bunch of work that the customer shouldn't have had to do if the seller had packaged the comic correctly. More often than not the seller didn't package it correctly because they didn't want to be charged an additional $ 3 or $ 4 bucks if they went into the next weight tier.

The only way most eBay sellers change their behavior is to have a ding on their feedback.

i felt this way when i was new to collecting too. Then i learned that if im going to buy comics online, i am going to have to deal with that type of stuff. Give it time. Youll learn these things.

I recently purchased Superman Red Son 1-3 from ebay as it was described as in "new condition". prior to him shipping I inquired about how it would be shipped and I was assured that it would be protected with cardboard in a padded package. When it arrived it was sent in a padded envelope, however the cardboard he spoke of was card stock between the comics and the all 3 issues inserted loose into a file folder... I was shocked. He didn't even secure the comics with tape. On top of the pitting on the covers that was not disclosed in the auction, there were spine fractures and corner damage to the comics. Fortunately, he was willing to take them back as they were not in the condition he described them to be.
\

Valid concern and the seller ate it due to it being his fault. Hopefully they learned from it. I doubt it, but hey one can hope.

i felt this way when i was new to collecting too. Then i learned that if im going to buy comics online, i am going to have to deal with that type of stuff. Give it time. Youll learn these things.

I seriously doubt the seller intentionally under packed just to keep from going over. I can see it if the seller has been selling for awhile and you get the speech I have always packed like this.

If the seller is new cut them a break and give them a little education. It may reap great rewards for you.

I'm not new to collecting nor buying items online. I've been buying stuff off eBay for 15+ years. Why should my standards for any seller be any different than the standard I would set for myself? Example, I once got a book shipped to me in a USED pizza box. Again, the key word in that sentence was USED. When I wrote the seller about it I got a response advising me that was the only box he had. Gee, do you think I left a negative? Of course I did. I'd never sell anything and then ship it in a used pizza box.

Again, I am the buyer. The customer. The person that keeps money in someone's pocket.

What the seller should be thinking about is:

Is my reputation worth buying materials that will protect what I am selling? If so, then spend the additional 3 or 4 bucks and protect the item and build it into your cost. If it is not, then it shouldn't bother you if an item gets damaged. If that causes your CUSTOMER to spend money, and time to get the damaged item back to you then getting a ding shouldn't matter and you won't be on eBay selling items for very long.

Expecting your customer to keep your reputation at a level higher than the service you provided them is absurd. I reward the sellers on eBay that treat me as a value. They get repeat business and more of my dollars. I may be unusual but I'll pay a bit more to deal with someone I trust and have dealt with in the past for an item.

Yeah I hate the over-packers more than the under packers. Sliced a couple books trying to get to them....

I have become an artist in freeing the books but… yes, you are right, over-packing is equally bad. Not more, but equally. :)

:facepalm:

I wish more sellers would over-pack...

I'm not new to collecting nor buying items online. I've been buying stuff off eBay for 15+ years. Why should my standards for any seller be any different than the standard I would set for myself? Example, I once got a book shipped to me in a USED pizza box. Again, the key word in that sentence was USED. When I wrote the seller about it I got a response advising me that was the only box he had. Gee, do you think I left a negative? Of course I did. I'd never sell anything and then ship it in a used pizza box.

Again, I am the buyer. The customer. The person that keeps money in someone's pocket.

Is my reputation worth buying materials that will protect what I am selling? If so, then spend the additional 3 or 4 bucks and protect the item and build it into your cost. If it is not, then it shouldn't bother you if an item gets damaged. If that causes your CUSTOMER to spend money, and time to get the damaged item back to you then getting a ding shouldn't matter and you won't be on eBay selling items for very long.

Expecting your customer to keep your reputation at a level higher than the service you provided them is absurd. I reward the sellers on eBay that treat me as a value. They get repeat business and more of my dollars. I may be unusual but I'll pay a bit more to deal with someone I trust and have dealt with in the past for an item.

Was the book shipped in a pizza box damaged? It sounds like you are looking at the whole experience which is fine. There are people that do want, good boxes, bagged and boarded or new bags and boards, all that. Seller just needs to get the book to you in the condition described. Pizza box or not, if the book was fine, the negative was unnecessary. If how its shipped is the problem, buy at shows. If taking the time to send back a book is the problem, buy at shows.

Was the book shipped in a pizza box damaged? It sounds like you are looking at the whole experience which is fine. There are people that do want, good boxes, bagged and boarded or new bags and boards, all that. Seller just needs to get the book to you in the condition described. Pizza box or not, if the book was fine, the negative was unnecessary. If how its shipped is the problem, buy at shows. If taking the time to send back a book is the problem, buy at shows.

Shipping an item through the mail in a USED pizza box is unsanitary, unpleasant, and just plain stupid. How in the world can you defend that? That's an unusual side ya jumped in on there. Ya ship many items in your used pizza boxes to people you sell things to on eBay? If you do then you have a strange customer base that puts up with that. If not, why not? It seems that if the item in question isn't damaged a large amount of pizza grease, cheese stuck to the box, and crumbs shouldn't make a difference to you and/or your customers. You are defending the use of the used pizza box here. Also, since it doesn't seem to bother you then you should do it at every opportunity you have. Think of all the money you'd save in packaging.

Shipping an item through the mail in a USED pizza box is unsanitary, unpleasant, and just plain stupid. How in the world can you defend that? That's an unusual side ya jumped in on there. Ya ship many items in your used pizza boxes to people you sell things to on eBay? If you do then you have a strange customer base that puts up with that. If not, why not? It seems that if the item in question isn't damaged a large amount of pizza grease, cheese stuck to the box, and crumbs shouldn't make a difference to you and/or your customers. You are defending the use of the used pizza box here. Also, since it doesn't seem to bother you then you should do it at every opportunity you have. Think of all the money you'd save in packaging.

For me. it's not about the packaging. It's about the book(s). If I receive books in the condition as described, then the packaging really doesn't matter. Ship it any way you want as long as I received it undamaged. As far as I'm concerned, if it's adequately protected it doesn't matter to me. I don't need any fancy packaging, just get the comic to me undamaged. Honestly, you can send a comic to me in a pizza box and it wouldn't bother me as long as I get the comic in the condition I paid for. All I care about is the comic.

For me. it's not about the packaging. It's about the book(s). If I receive books in the condition as described, then the packaging really doesn't matter. Ship it any way you want as long as I received it undamaged. As far as I'm concerned, if it's adequately protected it doesn't matter to me. I don't need any fancy packaging, just get the comic to me undamaged. Honestly, you can send a comic to me in a pizza box and it wouldn't bother me as long as I get the comic in the condition I paid for. All I care about is the comic.

Ok, then you are a different breed of buyer on eBay. Most consumers want at least some if not all of the following:

- Speed in which it is shipped

- Speed in which it arrives

- Communication it shipped

- Communication of the carrier and tracking number

- Cost of shipping

- Customer Service provided if an issue occurs

- Can it be returned

eBay uses some of the above in the star ratings to give a seller a "Top Rated" status and discounts on fees. It must have been important enough in a focus group somewhere for them to rate seller's using it. Also, they were getting hammered by Amazon which rates sellers on the TOTAL experience of the sale.

I save more money just by using priority mail supplies. Im not defending the pizza box, just defending that he got the book to you in the condition described and you gave him a negative because of his packaging.