• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garth Ennis's 'The Boys' the next Ennis series for TV!?
3 3

442 posts in this topic

One of the members of DC's Suicide Squad is making the move to comics television, as Karen Fukuhara is joining Amazon's The Boys.

According to a new report from Deadline, Fukuhara has been cast in a series regular role on the Amazon straight-to-series superhero drama. The Boys is based on the comic book by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson, created for television by Supernatural and Timeless creator Eric Kripke.

The series examines the dark side of superhero life with many of the heroes in this world having embraced the dangerous side of celebrity and fame. The Boys are a group of vigilantes who aim to take down corrupt superheroes with utilizing street tactics and fighting dirty.

Fukuhara is set to play an assassin named Female, who becomes one of the greatest mysteries of the show. When she is first found by The Boys she's savage, she doesn't speak, and they have no idea where she came from. Her relationship with Frenchie ends up showing her what it means to be a human being.

LINK

Written by Eric Kripke based on the comic book by Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson, The Boys is set in a world where superheroes embrace the darker side of their massive celebrity and fame. It revolves around a group of vigilantes known informally as “the Boys,” who set out to take down corrupt superheroes with no more than blue-collar grit and a willingness to fight dirty

Urban will play the Boys’ leader Billy Butcher. Mysterious, brutal and with a personal but secret agenda, Billy Butcher approaches Hughie (co-lead Jack Quaid), claiming to be a shadowy government operative. Butcher capitalizes on Hughie’s rage over his girlfriend Robin’s accidental death at the hands of superhero A-Train (Jesse T. Usher) and enlists Hughie as part of his plan to bring down the Superhero franchise.

Preacher‘s Evan Goldberg and Seth Rogen will direct the pilot, from Sony Pictures TV, which will co-produce with Amazon and Neal H. Moritz’s studio-based Original Films.

In addition to Quaid and Usher, Urban joins previously cast Erin Moriarty, Antony Starr, Dominique McElligott, Chace Crawford, Nathan Mitchell and Karen Fukuhara.

The Boys is executive produced by Kripke (who also will serve as showrunner), Goldberg, Rogen, Original Film’s Moritz, Ori Marmur and Pavun Shetty, as well as Jason Netter, Ken Levin and Point Grey Pictures’ James Weaver. Ennis and Robertson will co-executive produce.

New Zealand-born Urban was recently seen as Skurge in Marvel’s Thor: Ragnarok alongside Chris Hemsworth, Cate Blanchett and Mark Ruffalo. He is also known for his roles as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy in the Star Trek movie franchise and as Éomer in the second and third installments of Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings trilogy.

I always thought it was a great concept for a show and now I'm getting more excited.  The promo was not killer but it made me think this could actually be pulled off. 

And of course the promo is followed by a handful of low ball offers on the Boys 1 I've got up for sale.  They better grab it quick before I raise the price.

3 minutes ago, AnthonyTheAbyss said:

My theory on what makes a hit show...

1.  Action (check)

2.  A good story/concept/idea (check)

3.  Nudity (check?)

***The trailer looked fantastic(thumbsu

Over the years, I have come to recognize having a solid soundtrack really makes a huge difference in setting up the right atmosphere that I never paid attention to before.

Look at FX's Legio with its fantastic soundtrack placement. When Sid gets put to sleep by the villain, it makes you feel her drifting off to nothingness with that crickets harmony.

Another show that does this quite well is SYFY's The Magicians. I think it attracts more of an audience because of this.

One of my friends got to see the pilot this past Tuesday.

He said it captures the vibe of the book very, very well. "Sick and brutal."

Keep your eyes peeled for a certain 'Simon' as well.

I was a little shocked at some of the scenes he described, as they are almost panel-for-panel.

Buckle up...

Boys.jpg

I'll reserve judgement until it drops.  But my first reaction is that they saw the success of the MCU and that DCEU was having a problem catching on and said 'The problem with the DCEU is that it isn't dark and gritty enough'.  We'll have to see if they are right.

13 minutes ago, thunsicker said:

I'll reserve judgement until it drops.  But my first reaction is that they saw the success of the MCU and that DCEU was having a problem catching on and said 'The problem with the DCEU is that it isn't dark and gritty enough'.  We'll have to see if they are right.

I think the only way this show will be successful is for this show to be everything Marvel and DC isn't.  It needs to make fun of super heroes - it needs to be raunchy and cheeky.  It needs to be the flip side of the Marvel shows and being well acted will also help.  I love the concept and have a few graded #1s in the boxes but it really comes down to how close they can get to the original material and bring in the people who may be a bit tired of the same old same old.

Edited by 1Cool