• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garth Ennis's 'The Boys' the next Ennis series for TV!?
3 3

442 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2019 at 12:57 PM, aardvark88 said:

Watched first 2 episodes so far. Bit violent like 'The Boys' comic. Enjoying Karl Urban's (Star Trek reboot as Bones, (Judge) Dredd movie) acting and accent as Billy Butcher.

His Dredd is such a perfect casting due to the way he portrayed the character. HUGE missed opportunity not following up on this film, though I get it due to the box office failure.

Marvel's series of shows on Netflix had a good run at it, but it appears they may have been dethroned as the most popular superhero programming original to streaming platforms. Thanks to new data obtained by ScreenRant, it'd appear Amazon's The Boys is much more popular than any of the shows in Netflix's DefendersVerse, including Daredevil, The Punisher, and Jessica Jones.

In a chart released by streaming experts Parrot Analytics, The Boys demanded upwards of 50 million "Demand Expressions" per day in its fifth week after release. In comparison, the first season of Jessica Jones led Marvel's offerings with just north of 20m expressions per day in the same timeframe. Luke Cage Season One tallied just under 20m daily expressions while both Daredevil and Iron Fist hovered around 15m expressions per day each. In an interesting switch, The Boys peaked demand expressions during its second week of release while none of the Marvel shows had more expressions than they had during the first week.

:whatthe:

All I can say is that I blasted through The Boys in two sittings on a Saturday and Sunday, whereas I still haven't found the time to finish up THe Punisher Season 2, Luke Cage Season 2, or Jessica Jones 2 or 3 (and I won't be watching Iron Fist 2, period.) 

I dug it. 

Finally watched the series this week.  Loved it. Just the right mix of actual reverence for the genre with deeply dark, funny and f’d up parody of it.

I’ve held off reading the comics up to this point, so I’m just curious for those have - how far did season one diverge from the books?  Just wondering if I do read it all now how totally I’d be spoiling season two (and beyond?) for myself. 

On 9/20/2019 at 2:48 AM, fmaz said:

Finally watched the series this week.  Loved it. Just the right mix of actual reverence for the genre with deeply dark, funny and f’d up parody of it.

I’ve held off reading the comics up to this point, so I’m just curious for those have - how far did season one diverge from the books?  Just wondering if I do read it all now how totally I’d be spoiling season two (and beyond?) for myself. 

I would say it stick close to the spirit of the comic, but not the timeline or story structure. While many scenes are taken from the comic directly, they are usually out of order.  The shows uses the same plot points and ideas, but they seem more like inspiration rather then direct translation.  Again it seems like the show will use the comic for ideas and inspirations, but does not follow it closely. There is a lot more material there, but for season one they kinda picked stuff they wanted throughout the entire run. So I will point out several examples, do not read for possible spoilers....   

Spoiler

1. Starlight is a minor character in the comic, not to say she is not important, but in the show about 1/2 the series focuses on her, in the comic she is in it maybe 10% of the time. Huey and her meet the exact same way.

2. Butcher's wife is dead in the comic and he personally kills the baby shortly after birth. She was raped by Homelander.

3. The plane incident was their world's version of 9/11. When they fail to take it down it crashes into the Brooklyn Bridge.   It happened well in the past. The progression of the events and the emotions of the characters, during the scene, are almost the same.

4. Starlight is forced to give a BJ when she joins, but the Deep is not involved rather it is Homelander, A-train, and Black Noir. She never gets her "revenge" moment where she outs the Deep at Capes for Christ.

5. The Cape for Christ even does happen, but all the events intertwined with it are different.  I could seem them revisiting some of this.

6. Starlight is forced into the sexier costume for the same reasons.  On TV the marketing team makes the change, in the book Homelander draws it on her.

7. Huey kills a super, it is not Translucent (who does not exist in the comic).

A-train is race swapped, Stillwell is gender swapped, Stormfront is being gender swapped. Huey is Irish. The Deep is the size of a truck and basically does nothing.

As these examples show the beats are similar, but the show basically puts its own interpretation or twist on all of them.

There are many more but that should give you the idea. By reading the comic you will get a great feeling for where they are going, but the show will get there a very different way.  It would also potentially spoil a few major items that likely must stay in for the entire story to make sense and wrap up close to where the comic did.

6 hours ago, drotto said:

I would say it stick close to the spirit of the comic, but not the timeline or story structure. While many scenes are taken from the comic directly, they are usually out of order.  The shows uses the same plot points and ideas, but they seem more like inspiration rather then direct translation.  Again it seems like the show will use the comic for ideas and inspirations, but does not follow it closely. There is a lot more material there, but for season one they kinda picked stuff they wanted throughout the entire run. So I will point out several examples, do not read for possible spoilers....   

Reveal hidden contents

1. Starlight is a minor character in the comic, not to say she is not important, but in the show about 1/2 the series focuses on her, in the comic she is in it maybe 10% of the time. Huey and her meet the exact same way.

2. Butcher's wife is dead in the comic and he personally kills the baby shortly after birth. She was raped by Homelander.

3. The plane incident was their world's version of 9/11. When they fail to take it down it crashes into the Brooklyn Bridge.   It happened well in the past. The progression of the events and the emotions of the characters, during the scene, are almost the same.

4. Starlight is forced to give a BJ when she joins, but the Deep is not involved rather it is Homelander, A-train, and Black Noir. She never gets her "revenge" moment where she outs the Deep at Capes for Christ.

5. The Cape for Christ even does happen, but all the events intertwined with it are different.  I could seem them revisiting some of this.

6. Starlight is forced into the sexier costume for the same reasons.  On TV the marketing team makes the change, in the book Homelander draws it on her.

A-train is race swapped, Stillwell is gender swapped, Stormfront is being gender swapped. Huey is Irish. The Deep is the size of a truck and basically does nothing.

As these examples show the beats are similar, but the show basically puts its own interpretation or twist on all of them.

There are many more but that should give you the idea. By reading the comic you will get a great feeling for where they are going, but the show will get there a very different way.  It would also potentially spoil a few major items that likely must stay in for the entire story to make sense and wrap up close to where the comic did.

Hmm. Thanks so much.  Didn’t read the spoilers.  Really enjoyed the show... to the point where I’m not thinking about NOT reading the book until the show is finished.  I mean, I waited this long, you know?  LOL

On 9/21/2019 at 11:59 PM, drotto said:

Hide contents

Plus the big one 

Spoiler

They aren't juiced up with powers yet.

Except The Girl.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:59 AM, drotto said:

Reveal hidden contents

1 hour ago, Beige said:

Plus the big one 

Reveal hidden contents

Except The Girl.

And yet with all those differences, the show really pulled off a fantastic story with wildly entertaining thrills. But it is really great to know the source material details. (worship)

2 hours ago, Beige said:

Plus the big one 

Reveal hidden contents

Except The Girl.

I really do not think they are going there (thus why I left it out, plus I did not want to make too large a list), but it is a big one.

Spoiler

Unless, they feel a need to level the playing field at some point, but they seem to be relishing the underdog aspect. I also do not think they need it.

On 11/7/2019 at 8:21 PM, Bosco685 said:

Season Two filming completed.

Butcher and MM look bigger -

Spoiler

it's juice time!

And yeah, they do need to juice up, Homelander can blow up a small country with a glance, so harsh language won't cut it.

Frenchy and The girl were a team - they look like they are heading that way,so he has to be juiced just to stay alive.

Without it you have the Seven (well 6 eh lads :shy: ) against 4 normal humans and 1 juiced up girl.

Not.Going.To.Work

Besides - Herogasm he been confirmed for series 3, so anyone who has read the book knows its impossible for 95% of it to happen without juice.

Filming has reportedly been rescheduled on a massive, violent scene for The Boys Season 2 that was set to be shot in an area still reeling from a deadly attack. According to the Toronto Sun, a proposed scene on the Amazon superhero series, which is currently in production in Toronto, was deemed "disrespectful" by Toronto Councillor John Filion.

A source confirmed to TV Guide that production on the series is carrying on and that the second unit is choosing a new location for the scene.

The scene in question was initially set to film in Toronto's Mel Lastman Square. It would have reportedly involved 450 people and was described by the production company as, "One of the rogue superheroes attacks the crowd. There will be people screaming and running in the scene as well as a considerable amount of fake blood."

Mel Lastman Square became the memorial site for victims of the 2018 Toronto van attack that claimed the lives of 10 people on the nearby Yonge Street. Filion told the Sun that he "flipped out" at the idea of subjecting locals already traumatized by the incident to more bloody imagery.

"There are people who work in this building, who went out onto Yonge St. to try to help the van attack victims — many of them are still traumatized," Filion said. "And think about the families and loved ones of those victims. So, I made some phone calls and that second portion was cancelled."

Toronto issued slowed down Season Two filming at one point.