• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garth Ennis's 'The Boys' the next Ennis series for TV!?
3 3

442 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, piper said:

I watched the first two episodes of season 2. I’m finding it a bit slow.  So far, I prefer season 1.

I enjoyed them, though I don't know why they're wasting time on the Deep's story - he's such a dull character, nothing they do could make him interesting, even getting him involved with an obvious Scientology rip-off.

21 hours ago, piper said:

I watched the first two episodes of season 2. I’m finding it a bit slow.  So far, I prefer season 1.

I finished these first three. I think they have done a great job in slowly easing the audience back into this world by building up to a bigger event. There is so much going on with just these three episodes. Including a secret character they hint to without ramming it down our throats immediately. Which is production patience rather than assuming they have to throw us into the deep end of the pool.

Spoiler

The Boys Uncover a New Mystery in Season 2: Who Is Liberty the Supe?

There's so much going on in the first three episodes of The Boys that you may have missed two references to a mysterious Supe we've never heard before, Liberty. Though neither reference tells us anything about the Supe or why she might be important in the future, we know enough about the gritty comic book adaptation to assume nothing is a coincidence. There's also no mention of a Liberty in the original comics, so there's nothing to go off of other than what we learn from the series!

The first time Liberty is referenced is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment at the very beginning of the episode. When Hughie walks through the pawnshop, the camera passes over a few posters: one for the film Terminal Beauty 3 which starred the late Popclaw and Billy Zane. The other poster is a promotion for a feminine product made by Vought named "Autumn Breeze." The figure in the poster is a Supe known as Liberty, though that's all that can be gleaned from the photo.

The next time we hear the name Liberty, it'd during the phone call between Butcher and Mallory. The former group leader tells Butcher that a team will arrive shortly to pick up "the Supe terrorist," who the Boys have captured to help gain some political leverage. (We learned that he's Kenji, the younger brother of Kimiko, but that's for another discussion.) Before they end the call, Mallory tells Butcher that she believes another Supe named Liberty may have something to do with all this and is seen looking at an old Budweiser print ad bearing another woman's image.

From what we can gather, Liberty is a Supe that was popular a long time ago, since the Budweiser ad is an old one. It's safe to assume that Supes can live longer lives than humans and look better considering how many of them regenerated healing factors. If Mallory suspects she's behind some of the chaos reigning in season two, it's safe to say she'll play a huge role in the coming episodes.

I think it’s just too bleak, without enough genuine entertainment. Homelander, in particular, doesn't do it for me. Maybe i’m just too defeated by the world rn to enjoy it, but I like plenty of other dark entertainment, so I dunno. I do love Aya Cash, so looking forward to her (presumably) being the main villain this season.

13 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

I agree not as good so far.

I've actually liked it so far. My main gripe is what they're doing with Hughie. In the first season he started out as a weakling but eventually hardened and became, if not a total badass, at least useful. Now it seems like he's back at square one. What happened to his development?

2 hours ago, bb8 said:

I've actually liked it so far. My main gripe is what they're doing with Hughie. In the first season he started out as a weakling but eventually hardened and became, if not a total badass, at least useful. Now it seems like he's back at square one. What happened to his development?

I've been thinking of that as well. I'm wondering if it is from...

Spoiler

CIA deputy director Susan Raynor's

...head exploding early on, as when he is washing her blood off in the sink he is fixated on she has kids and a husband. So like a PTSD situation in an intense war. By the way, there is a rumor who did the deed.

Spoiler

The Boys theory: Who exploded Susan Raynor's head?

A new supe with a devastating power

a-new-supe-with-a-devastating-power-1599

The only possibility that has presented itself so far is a hero we have yet to meet. The secret may be hiding in the trailer for season 2. A clip from the official trailer shows a woman in what looks like a hospital, clenching her fists in the air to cause someone down the hall to burst into a poof of blood. It seems highly possible that's our girl. A deep dive into the IMDB database led us to actress Ess Hödlmoser in the role of "Cindy". Now, Cindy is not mentioned in the comic books as far as we can tell, but the show has already taken some liberties, so that isn't surprising.

3 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I've been thinking of that as well. I'm wondering if it is from...

Reveal hidden contents

CIA deputy director Susan Raynor's

...head exploding early on, as when he is washing her blood off in the sink he is fixated on she has kids and a husband. So like a PTSD situation in an intense war. By the way, there is a rumor who did the deed.

Yeah that's who probably did that deed.

But I'm not buying it for Hughie. He saw some even more eff'd up stuff in season 1 but seemed to be, in the words of Gunny Ermey, born again hard. Seems like they may be setting him up for the same arc...

30 minutes ago, bb8 said:

Yeah that's who probably did that deed.

But I'm not buying it for Hughie. He saw some even more eff'd up stuff in season 1 but seemed to be, in the words of Gunny Ermey, born again hard. Seems like they may be setting him up for the same arc...

You may be right. Make him a lost puppy again early on that then steps up later in the season as the savior. 

51 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

They are setting up Hughie against Butcher.

That's were his character development will come.

They definitely keep going back and forth as comrades and then contestants for group leader. The writing seems to be on the wall - the screen - Translucent's butt. Wait - scratch that last one. Too soon.

(:

14 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

They are setting up Hughie against Butcher.

That's were his character development will come.

I'm assuming you have not read the series - definetely some spoilers as to how they may be going in there.  The show has not followed the book exactly but it's been pretty close from what I can remember.

I'm on the fence with the first 3 episodes.  The writing has been ok but it does seem a tad slow and drawn out.  The previews make it look like things are going to start heating up soon so I'll wait and see.

4 hours ago, 1Cool said:

I'm assuming you have not read the series - definetely some spoilers as to how they may be going in there.  The show has not followed the book exactly but it's been pretty close from what I can remember.

I'm on the fence with the first 3 episodes.  The writing has been ok but it does seem a tad slow and drawn out.  The previews make it look like things are going to start heating up soon so I'll wait and see.

I've read all the comics.

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Episode 4 ends on one heck of a nutty note.

:eek:

Not that Homelander was the most "stable" person to begin with, but I think he just turned the page into full on psycho (ok, granted he was psycho before but I think we are about to see a whole new level).

8 minutes ago, media_junkie said:

Not that Homelander was the most "stable" person to begin with, but I think he just turned the page into full on psycho (ok, granted he was psycho before but I think we are about to see a whole new level).

Well, seeing yourself like this can cause some intense self-reflection.

Spoiler

homelander.jpg.47bb318da927ceac5a7c107802fb1ab9.jpg

(::fear: