• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Howard Greber (Eggs Ackley)

143 posts in this topic

I'm saddened to learn of Howard's passing. He was terrific to do business with, a gentle soul and a nice man, and was an exceptionally knowledgeable collector not only of underground and independent comics, but of the superhero books that predated them.

My deepest condolences to Howard's family.

Damn. He always came off as a nice guy and certainly knew his underground books. RIP

He was a true gentleman in every sense of the word. A very soft spoken individual who took the time to really listen.

This terrible! I figured something was up as he hasn't posted on the boards since 8/24. I received an order from him on 9/9 and was waiting for another...it never came and Howard was very reliable to ship. I sent several PMs that were never answered and he'd never done that before.

My last PM to Howard was on the 8th and was never read:

"Howard, haven't heard from you in a while...everything alright?"

:( I'm just sad.

I phoned Howard up on Sunday evening and was given the sad news by his daughter that he had died the previous day, which was quite a gut-punch, as I'd thought of him as being one of my best pals on the boards. I'll miss those telephone chats.

I 'd known that he was at the terminal / hospice stage for a while now, but he'd requested that I keep quiet about it here.

One thing that was quite obvious during those chats was how much of a true comics fan he was ; especially if it was before an event such as Comic-Con, when he'd be looking forward quite excitedly to meeting his underground comics icons, such as Bobby London, one of the creators of Air Pirates Funnies. Always nice to see that kind of joyful geekishness.

I initially got to know him via my interest in the work of Richard Corben, and Howard got me many high grade and scarce books. What's most important here, though, is that that has been an interest I've had ever since I started collecting in the 70s and, as I said to him a couple of months ago, I wished we'd met much earlier : it would've been a blast as we had so much in common.

Condolences to his family. Howard, pal, you'll be missed. A lot.

Terrible news, I have known Howard for years via the internet and have done many transactions with him. He was a big part of our underground comix group discussion forums first at comicspriceguide.com and later the Underground Comix wiki. Wish I had had the chance to meet Howard in person, we always used to talk about the SE PA area since that was where he was from and where I live. RIP Eggs.

Howard was one of the nicest people I've ever had the pleasure to know.

He was a class act and good soul.

This is a huge loss for us all. My prayers and condolences go out to his family and his many friends here.

RIP, Howard. Your memory will live on with all of us.