• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

RIP Howard Greber (Eggs Ackley)

143 posts in this topic

This is very sad to hear.

I have stack of Cherry Pop-Tarts at home I bought from him on these boards.

RIP my fellow collector.

You know, that is a great idea.

We should have a Memorial Hall. Some Justice League type name.

Members only, no family or friends. But we should remember our lost brothers and sisters, actively and openly.

Is there a Hall of Fame for comic book dealers and collectors?

If not, there should be.

And Howard should be in it.

In both categories.

It just doesn't seem right that someone like Howard gets condolences on the boards for a few days, then disappears forever.

Howard needs to be remembered, always.

Truly irreplaceable.

I never purchased or sold him anything, but  I corresponded with him about an Underground collection I was considering buying and he helped me avoid what might have been a costly mistake on my part.

RIP and deepest condolences to his family and friends.  

Edited by shadroch
My time frame was way off.

3 hours ago, over40artist said:

Hello fans and friends of Howard Greber...aka Eggs Ackley. I was a friend of Howard's for over a decade, from back in the CPG forum days, where I went by over40artist and he went by, well yeah, Eggs Ackley! I am the owner and developer of the comixjoint website, a site devoted to UG comix reviews. I didn't meet Howard in person for many years after becoming friends with him, but it didn't take long to know that he was a man who could be trusted. Without ever having laid eyes on him, I once shipped him $30,000 worth of undergrounds so he could personally take them into CGC headquarters for slabbing on my behalf (he lived in Sarasota, where CGC is located, and built friendships with a lot of people there). As expected, Howard came through with complete integrity and CGC slabbed my books (at Howard's discounted prices) and shipped them back to me. I just knew that Howard could be trusted, sight unseen.

I did meet Howard in person at SDCC in 2011, where we had a great time with our gang of UG aficionados (Johnny Chambers, Dan Fogel, et al). We met at SDCC the next couple years and hung out day and night throughout all of those cons. I remember the year we hung out with Frank Stack all day. I bought a few Stack original watercolors (beautiful nudes) that year. On a different day we hung out with Fred Todd of Rip Off Press all day, chatting about the old days and the new era. Those were all great times.

Shortly before Howard passed, I drove from Memphis down to Sarasota to meet with him one last time. This time it was to arrange the consignment of his remaining comic book collection; over 5,500 books, most of them undergrounds. He knew he was not long for this world and wanted to have someone he could trust organize and sell his collection on behalf of his widow, Carolyn. Howard had already relegated most of his CGC books and original art to Heritage for auction, but he still had a ton of other books that he asked me to liquidate after his passing. A few weeks later, shortly after Howard died, I drove back down to Florida to pick up some 60 short boxes of comix and comics.

It's taken two years (wow, almost to the day of Howard's passing) to alphabetize, bag, rebag, grade, scan, and prepare Howard's collection for sale. But it's finally done, and I recently opened an eBay store dedicated to selling his books. It's under my comixjoint nom de plume. If you search for "fantastic four 60 CGC 9.6" you'll find one of my listings and can visit my store (that slab could sell any day now, so you might need to search "sold" listings). I'm currently running 5 no-reserve auctions for lots of 25 unique undergrounds at a $25 starting bid for each. I'll have 5 more lots like that next weekend as well. There are over 170 listings in the store at reasonable prices, and I'm adding more almost every day. Howard had a lot of silver age mainstream comics, so I'm selling those as well.

I'm also planning to sell some of the more interesting and arcane items from Howard's collection here on CGC. This is my first post here, so I'm not familiar with how to do it, but I viewed a few of Howard's old auction threads and I guess I can start a similar one for his collection. I look forward to meeting some of his old pals here on CGC, some of whom I might already know from the old CPG days...if you recognize my over40artist moniker then you already know me! 

Anyway, I loved Howard and I want to do a good job for Carolyn. Thanks for listening and hope to see you on an auction thread coming soon!

Hey over40, I remember you from the CPG forum days. Seems like a long time ago. Howard had visited me several times, twice for funnybooks, and then I recall him having to make a trip for his daughter who was attending UofT. Had him over my place one of those trips as well. Sady, I hadn't kept in contact with him in his last years, and was deeply saddened to have found out about his passing when it happened. That said, I'm glad to hear you were involved in handling his collection for his family. Howard had a great collection of comix, and silver-age mainstream comics as well. I remember one of our deals included several slabbed SA Marvels, and one of the books was an FF 48 CGC 9.6 which I remember he was so proud to have bought off the newsstands and kept in such pristine condition.

Edited by comicwiz

I bought a slab off him one time and he threw in a reading copy to go with it ..... and I'll be damned if the reading copy wasn't nicer than the one in the slab..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

55 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I bought a slab off him one time and he threw in a reading copy to go with it ..... and I'll be damned if the reading copy wasn't nicer than the one in the slab..... GOD BLESS...

Yup. He was an extremely good grader. Often generously so, I found.

Still terribly missed here by me.

As I said to him a few months before he died, I wished I'd met him many years earlier.

Not for any materialistic reason, just that we had a lot in common.

1 minute ago, Ken Aldred said:
58 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

Yup. He was an extremely good grader. Often generously so, I found.

...... this was the book..... the slab has been sold, but the reading copy ain't goin nowhere...... GOD BLESS....

Sb3dpz8.jpg

Just now, jimjum12 said:

...... this was the book..... the slab has been sold, but the reading copy ain't goin nowhere...... GOD BLESS....

Sb3dpz8.jpg

Very nice-looking 9.0.

The reading copy must've been really superb.(thumbsu