• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robert Rodriguez To Direct Battle Angel Alita

58 posts in this topic

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Desperado director Robert Rodriguez is in talks to direct James Cameron‘s Battle Angel Alita. The Aliens director had been developing Battle Angel along side a number of projects, including Avatar, since the turn of the century.

I'd rather Rodriguez direct this than Cameron. My only fear is Hollywood being hollywood they'll just whitewash the lead like with Motoko in the upcoming GITS. :facepalm:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/10/14/robert-rodriguez-to-direct-battle-angel-alita/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

On 2/15/2019 at 2:19 PM, engelhard said:

i really enjoyed the anime but this movie is bad.... if you know where to look you can watch it now

pm me if you don't wanna pay show money and ill send you the link

Looks like a failure at the box office.What a shame as the manga was quite good.

‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Banks on Foreign Audiences to Save It From Box Office Disaster

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/alita-battle-angel-box-office-disaster-1203141963/

with its $27 million debut at the domestic box office, but Fox’s cyberpunk fantasy adventure has a long road to travel before it can claim victory. When it comes to achieving profitability, the CGI-spectacular may never arrive at that particular destination.

With a production budget hovering at $170 million (Fox says tax incentives lowered costs that were once north of $200 million) and tens of millions more in marketing and distribution costs, executives at rival studios estimate “Alita: Battle Angel” will need to gross roughly $500 million globally to get out of the red. Insiders at Fox say the break-even number is closer to $350 million. It’s too early to completely write off the film. But even though the movie has made $130 million worldwide so far, it’s unlikely that “Alita” will reach those box office heights.

I saw it last night and it was pretty good.  Action was good and flowed pretty well.  It was my first 3-d movie in awhile so it's always nice to see a big visual movie with stuff flying out at you.  I'd give it a C+/B-

2 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Looks like a failure at the box office.What a shame as the manga was quite good.

‘Alita: Battle Angel’ Banks on Foreign Audiences to Save It From Box Office Disaster

https://variety.com/2019/film/box-office/alita-battle-angel-box-office-disaster-1203141963/

with its $27 million debut at the domestic box office, but Fox’s cyberpunk fantasy adventure has a long road to travel before it can claim victory. When it comes to achieving profitability, the CGI-spectacular may never arrive at that particular destination.

With a production budget hovering at $170 million (Fox says tax incentives lowered costs that were once north of $200 million) and tens of millions more in marketing and distribution costs, executives at rival studios estimate “Alita: Battle Angel” will need to gross roughly $500 million globally to get out of the red. Insiders at Fox say the break-even number is closer to $350 million. It’s too early to completely write off the film. But even though the movie has made $130 million worldwide so far, it’s unlikely that “Alita” will reach those box office heights.

should i dig up your post when you said you were going to be keeping a close eye on China?  there's still a small amount of hope for this because of China, this weekend will tell the story

19 minutes ago, paperheart said:

should i dig up your post when you said you were going to be keeping a close eye on China?  there's still a small amount of hope for this because of China, this weekend will tell the story

Small amount of hope. It doesn't look like it will do Venom or Aquaman China numbers. It`s becoming apparent now non-DC/Marvel comic book properties the majority of the time haven't had success at the box office recently. 

If it`s not a Marvel/DC property and instead a non-Marvel/DC comic book property the odds are slim to none it will be a box office hit, especially domestically.

Hellboy was a long time ago.

Hoping Bloodshot can break the spell, so Marvel/DC can have more comic book competition at the box office.

:wishluck:

Edited by ComicConnoisseur

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Small amount of hope. It doesn't look like it will do Venom or Aquaman China numbers. It`s becoming apparent now non-DC/Marvel comic book properties the majority of the time haven't had success at the box office recently. 

If it`s not a Marvel/DC property and instead a non-Marvel/DC comic book property the odds are slim to none it will be a box office hit, especially domestically.

Hellboy was a long time ago.

Hoping Bloodshot can break the spell, so Marvel/DC can have more comic book competition at the box office.

:wishluck:

So, what is your take on the Hellboy Reboot then? 

37 minutes ago, Jimbo749 said:

Just went to see this movie based on the trailer only, not knowing the character/series and still enjoyed it. Special effects were pretty cool. Some of the fight scenes were pretty violent, much more than I expected.

highly recommend you check out the anime

watch it before it gets deleted>>>>

5 hours ago, engelhard said:

highly recommend you check out the anime

watch it before it gets deleted>>>>

This is a great series.

I know both Tim Burton and James Cameron have both been linked to going to direct it over the years.

When both Burton and Cameron are interested that means this ip has great potential.