• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robert Rodriguez To Direct Battle Angel Alita

58 posts in this topic

On 2/18/2019 at 1:13 PM, ComicConnoisseur said:

Small amount of hope. It doesn't look like it will do Venom or Aquaman China numbers. It`s becoming apparent now non-DC/Marvel comic book properties the majority of the time haven't had success at the box office recently. 

If it`s not a Marvel/DC property and instead a non-Marvel/DC comic book property the odds are slim to none it will be a box office hit, especially domestically.

Hellboy was a long time ago.

Hoping Bloodshot can break the spell, so Marvel/DC can have more comic book competition at the box office.

:wishluck:

the magic # is 60.  $60MM China opening vs. the -60% second weekend in the US.  the latter trumps the first, a RPO-like miracle in China still won't save this one.

1 minute ago, paperheart said:

the magic # is 60.  $60MM China opening vs. the -60% second weekend in the US.  the latter trumps the first, a RPO-like miracle in China still won't save this one.

Too bad. It is though starting to seem like future super hero/sci-fi movies will now to start to focus more on China. A lot of movies that did lukewarm business in America seemed to do much better in China.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:14 PM, paperheart said:

It just did 62 million opening in China.

Wow! Am I the only one who finds it amazing that China at 62 million doubled the American opening at 28 million?

The game has definitely changed.

I went to a comic show today and a few people mentioned this being an excellent movie. One dealer in his 60s (maybe late 50s) was very enthusiastic and said his non comic loving wife liked the movie as well.

3 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

Conversely, one of my friends posted on Facebook that this was the worst movie they have seen in the theater in recent memory. He called it "horrible," "brutal," and "an excruciating watch."

I wasn't going to see it anyway, but... yeah. 

If you're not interested in the anime or enjoy manga you're not going to enjoy the movie most likely. I thought Cameron/Rodriguez did a really good job translating it and enjoyed it a lot. 

On 2/24/2019 at 9:14 PM, TeddieMercede said:

If you're not interested in the anime or enjoy manga you're not going to enjoy the movie most likely. I thought Cameron/Rodriguez did a really good job translating it and enjoyed it a lot. 

Actually on the contrary, I have no interest in manga or anime and I watched this with my daughters on iTunes today and I thought it was a great flick. 

On 7/27/2019 at 10:01 PM, Oddball said:

Actually on the contrary, I have no interest in manga or anime and I watched this with my daughters on iTunes today and I thought it was a great flick. 

I just watched it and was pleasantly surprised how much I like it. This coming from a non manga fan.

1 hour ago, musicmeta said:

Same here.  I liked Aleta a lot.  I hope they make another movie but box office sales indicate probably not.

It actually did better at the box office than expected. Surprisingly it beat both

Godzilla:King of the Monsters and X-MEN :Dark Phoenix at the box office worldwide.

Alita:Battle Angel = Worldwide: $404,852,543 

Godzilla: King of the Monsters = Worldwide: $385,374,501 

X-MEN :Dark Phoenix = Worldwide: $252,341,489

source.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alita.htm

51 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

It actually did better at the box office than expected. Surprisingly it beat both

Godzilla:King of the Monsters and X-MEN :Dark Phoenix at the box office worldwide.

source.

And with Alita and Godzilla KotM they both cost $170M to make. So the former doing 2.38X production budget is a good win. Though I was surprised this did not have a stronger response.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

source.

alita did 1/3 of its BO in China, was a big $ loser.  the only way this gets a sequel is if Cameron holds Avatar hostage

Alita: Battle Angel Producer Sends A Funny Message To Fans Demanding That Alita Sequel

As the faithful internet fans who’ve demanded HBO Max release the Snyder Cut of Justice League have finally had their wish granted, there’s an equally dedicated fanbase that has called for Alita: Battle Angel to get a sequel. Providing some more of the inspiration he always has, producer Jon Landau has sent the Alita Army a funny message that hits upon two very important subjects near and dear to his heart.

Obviously when it comes to landing an Alita: Battle Angel sequel, that’s something that Jon Landau himself has spoken towards in the past. And just as he said to the people before, there’s going to have to be some unavoidable noise aimed at the Disney executives who make such decisions.