• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

arYou know it ;)

other notables include a five minute old Terese Nielsen painting on eBay at 15k with three days to go and a Volkan Baga of similar recent vintage that just went for 25.    Crazy what the brand new stuff can go for 

What was the Volkan Baga art?  Have three of his paintings but don't really follow the market.

Edited by The Voord

7 minutes ago, The Voord said:

What was the Volkan Baga art?  Have three of his paintings but don't really follow the market.

It went for a lot because it was an angel card :eyeroll:

Think it was Resplendent Angel or something like that.

I e wondered about the $400 pieces George Pratt has had on his site for sale for ages. Not because I’m in any way interested, but just after hearing about how in demand the card art is, I’m assuming it has something to do with their unimportance in game play or something?

Remember seeing the art from a couple of them from when my friends were all into MTG years ago, and I used to check out their decks strictly to see the art.

Just curious. The $400 tags too aggressive even today? 

Just checked. Looks like he has at least sold a couple of them anyway.

4 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

I e wondered about the $400 pieces George Pratt has had on his site for sale for ages. Not because I’m in any way interested, but just after hearing about how in demand the card art is, I’m assuming it has something to do with their unimportance in game play or something?

Of course it does.   Its no different than comics.   A Herb Trimpe piece can sell for 700k after all.   And more.

And on the flip side very nice art can languish for cheap if its from a comic/publisher/genre no one cares about.

Edited by Bronty

5 minutes ago, ESeffinga said:

Remember seeing the art from a couple of them from when my friends were all into MTG years ago, and I used to check out their decks strictly to see the art.

Just curious. The $400 tags too aggressive even today? 

Just checked. Looks like he has at least sold a couple of them anyway.

400-500 is usually the floor for pretty much anything.   If he has unsold pieces at 400, that's cheap these days.    

On 7/18/2018 at 12:20 PM, Bronty said:

You know it ;)

other notables include a five minute old Terese Nielsen painting on eBay at 15k with three days to go and a Volkan Baga of similar recent vintage that just went for 25.    Crazy what the brand new stuff can go for 

Meanwhile I bought another Baga from the same set for $1550 the same week (and I like the art more!)

3FEE9178-A89B-4594-9B96-DFF675D60CF0.jpeg

5 hours ago, Bronty said:

Final price on that brand new Liliana was 23k.    

A far larger, better drawn/painted, and higher power level card for less than a third of the price. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

20 hours ago, JesterSB said:

Seems this didn't go unnoticed. Next Metropolis auction will have several MtG pieces (I'm guessing all were consigned by Spiderwebart Gallery which represents the relevant artists). http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerynew.asp?GCat=42486

8 hours ago, JesterSB said:

A far larger, better drawn/painted, and higher power level card for less than a third of the price. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

Its all nostalgia/context/ etc.      Neilsen's new paintings like Liliana aren't worth a fraction of 24k without her association to the game.    Arguably without her having done Force of Will specifically.

None of this is really about the quality of the rendering.    Its about the quality of the connection to the audience.

Edited by Bronty

1 hour ago, Bronty said:

None of this is really about the quality of the rendering.    Its about the quality of the connection to the audience.

You don’t say...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/kaja-foglio-magic-the-gathering-arabian-nights-shahrazad-card-painting-original-art-and-card-wizards-of-the-c-total-2-items-/a/121829-14061.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

13 hours ago, Bronty said:

Its all nostalgia/context/ etc.      Neilsen's new paintings like Liliana aren't worth a fraction of 24k without her association to the game.    Arguably without her having done Force of Will specifically.

I wouldn't say that Force of Will has anything to do with this. Terese has a very distinct style that is really appealing to a lot of collectors. I would love to own a Nielsen, but in general her cards don't fit my collection, or are out of my price range.