• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

40 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Just in a general sense.    That card is what got her noticed.

But she's evolved as an artist a LOT since then. The art on the original Force of Will would be mostly forgettable on a non-iconic card. The arts for these Planeswalkers are really amazing, and traditionally painted PWer art is few and far between, adding another premium.

5 hours ago, JesterSB said:

But she's evolved as an artist a LOT since then. The art on the original Force of Will would be mostly forgettable on a non-iconic card. The arts for these Planeswalkers are really amazing, and traditionally painted PWer art is few and far between, adding another premium.

Just my respectful opinion but that's all a load of hooey.    Her pieces get money for the same reason Shahrazad gets money.   For the same reason ditko spidey gets money and ditko charlton doesn't.   Its not about artistic talent.

If that brand new Nielsen was of a cow in a pasture would it have ended for 23k?

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Just my respectful opinion but that's all a load of hooey.    Her pieces get money for the same reason Shahrazad gets money.   For the same reason ditko spidey gets money and ditko charlton doesn't.   Its not about artistic talent.

If that brand new Nielsen was of a cow in a pasture would it have ended for 23k?

Like these?

latest?cb=20091028190121

Conch Horn from Fallen Empires sold for 10k at heritage.   

A POS card like that for 10k is more impressive than Shahrazad at 72 :ohnoez:

37 minutes ago, Bronty said:

Conch Horn from Fallen Empires sold for 10k at heritage.   

A POS card like that for 10k is more impressive than Shahrazad at 72 :ohnoez:

It's definitely higher than I thought it would go for, but it is a nicer Phil piece. The Foglios definitely have a big following outside of MTG, and their pieces were all sold long ago, so they are very rare to come up for auction. Also, bitcoin.

Edited by JesterSB

57 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I mean... you know the market better than me.   But its Conch Horn.  lol  From Fallen Empires.   :roflmao:

As much as the power of the card matters in MtG art, there actually ARE other factors. I own a bunch of pieces that are blah cards, but beautiful art, and not cheap to purchase. The name of the artist DOES matter too. As does nostalgia.

Edited by JesterSB

It does beg the question what’s the most expensive piece of comic art from 1993 forward (the date of mtg starting), because I don’t think there’s a piece of comic art created from 93 to today that would be worth as much as the premier mtg piece(s).

48 minutes ago, Bronty said:

It does beg the question what’s the most expensive piece of comic art from 1993 forward (the date of mtg starting), because I don’t think there’s a piece of comic art created from 93 to today that would be worth as much as the premier mtg piece(s).

Walking Dead #1 cover? Maybe a REAL nice early Spawn cover?

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

What number are we actually talking about?

As for the highest value options since ‘93 that come to mind:

- Wolverine losing his adamantium in ‘93 (so either the interior page of Magneto doing the deed or the cover to Wolverine 75 ). 

- The cover to NYX 3 (2004) sold for $71,700 on HA sligfhtly more than a year ago; could be the underbidder would be willing to pay more today?

- Batman Adventures 12 came out in ‘93. In the wake of NYX 3 several people on this board claimed they’d pay ridiculous prices for the cover.

By happenstance, UXM 266, NM 98, Adjectiveless Spidey 1 and the like missed the train by just a couple of years.

13 hours ago, Bronty said:

Agreed, given the MTG OA market's recent price explosion.

12 hours ago, JesterSB said:

Walking Dead #1 cover? Maybe a REAL nice early Spawn cover?

10 hours ago, rotembk said:

What number are we actually talking about?

As for the highest value options since ‘93 that come to mind:

- Wolverine losing his adamantium in ‘93 (so either the interior page of Magneto doing the deed or the cover to Wolverine 75 ). 

- The cover to NYX 3 (2004) sold for $71,700 on HA sligfhtly more than a year ago; could be the underbidder would be willing to pay more today?

- Batman Adventures 12 came out in ‘93. In the wake of NYX 3 several people on this board claimed they’d pay ridiculous prices for the cover.

By happenstance, UXM 266, NM 98, Adjectiveless Spidey 1 and the like missed the train by just a couple of years.

Sadly, I think the OA for MTG's "Power 9" and several other iconic cards would beat the abovementioned comics OA price-wise. NM98, SM1 and BA12 would put up the best fight but I'm pretty sure they'd fall to Black Lotus, Serra Angel/Juzam Djinn, Wrath of God, etc (with a horde of Reserved List and other nostalgic cards rampaging behind).   

The MTG OA and vintage card market is just ridiculously hot right now... in fact they make comics OA look like increasingly good value hm

8 hours ago, O. said:

Agreed, given the MTG OA market's recent price explosion.

Sadly, I think the OA for MTG's "Power 9" and several other iconic cards would beat the abovementioned comics OA price-wise. NM98, SM1 and BA12 would put up the best fight but I'm pretty sure they'd fall to Black Lotus, Serra Angel/Juzam Djinn, Wrath of God, etc (with a horde of Reserved List and other nostalgic cards rampaging behind).   

The MTG OA and vintage card market is just ridiculously hot right now... in fact they make comics OA look like increasingly good value hm

Nothing on the comics side is touching Black Lotus, I agree.

Moreover, that's how it should be.   Comics just don't matter as much post 92 as they do pre 93.

Bravo to her for selling these pieces herself and realizing the maximum market $. They are lovely fantasy paintings for the folks into that type of work, and ahve a tie to a franchise with more staying power than I'd ever anticipated.

That said, the prices make my head hurt. Clearly I'm not at all the market for these, and wouldn't be since I don't play, so who cares about my headache. I've always appreciated the artistry of the folks Wizards would hire for doing their cards. Well a lot of them anyway. Some folks and some cards still get a serious WTF, from me.

Edited by ESeffinga