• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Very interesting.

Remind me of the history on this?    Auctioned for 30k on facebook but the sale fell through, right?

And that matte job!!  :sick:   Even though I've seen it before it still makes me puke ;)

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, Bronty said:

any big sales lately through the facebook group?  Been too busy to watch the last couple months

I sold all my spare MTG artworks through the FB group and got about double the FMV prices I was advised not so long ago.  :)

Edited by The Voord

Looks like there is a high six figure sale pending on the ALL STAT Emerald Mox.

If this happens that has to be a record for non OA illustration art. 

Alpha Mox Emerald Original Painting by Dan Frazier -$750,000 USD

5 hours ago, buyatari said:

Looks like there is a high six figure sale pending on the ALL STAT Emerald Mox.

If this happens that has to be a record for non OA illustration art. 

Alpha Mox Emerald Original Painting by Dan Frazier -$750,000 USD

Six figures for ALL STAT? Surely you don't mean a stat like we do in comic art production. Please explain or provide a link. Thanks.

Just read on MTG art market forums on Facebook that Mox Jet and Farmstead sold. I believe someone said the Mox was $750K asking Farmstead 85K!?! Same person has all the power plus piles of other exemplary examples. Stuff like Wheel of Fortune, Cockatrice. Incredible.

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Six figures for ALL STAT? Surely you don't mean a stat like we do in comic art production. Please explain or provide a link. Thanks.

That is my understanding. Not just for this particular mox but for all 6 of them.

The mox gems themselves are all photocopies cut and placed on top of a pre-printed background.

I’ve seen the artist or his agent post about the process when he sells commissions on Facebook. 

————Edit————

A quick search turns up his website which details both his original process and how he makes them today.

http://danfrazier.com/Dan_Frazier/Mox_Remakes.html

Edited by buyatari

37 minutes ago, Tatterdamillion said:

Just read on MTG art market forums on Facebook that Mox Jet and Farmstead sold. I believe someone said the Mox was $750K asking Farmstead 85K!?! Same person has all the power plus piles of other exemplary examples. Stuff like Wheel of Fortune, Cockatrice. Incredible.

Who has wheel of fortune? The buyer or the seller? 

I believe the seller. I saw a video of all his stuff on display recently at some show. The show was the Emerald Con in 2013 which you can view on youtube. I guess I am making assumptions as to whether all the items are owned by the same individual but I think it is a reasonable assumption given the framing jobs and vintage of work. The seller apparently is soliciting the lotus for 6.5M! Id rather have that 1st Wolverine page and 5.7 Million dollars myself.

1 hour ago, buyatari said:

That is my understanding. Not just for this particular mox but for all 6 of them.

The mox gems themselves are all photocopies cut and placed on top of a pre-printed background.

I’ve seen the artist or his agent post about the process when he sells commissions on Facebook. 

————Edit————

A quick search turns up his website which details both his original process and how he makes them today.

http://danfrazier.com/Dan_Frazier/Mox_Remakes.html

Thanks.

I love the older art better than the modern art, mainly because it felt way more interpretive and less bound to the actual name on the card. I do not like how small much of the mtg art is so that has been a reason I only own one piece. I almost won Stone Throwing Devils many many years ago. Wish I had won that (it was cheap). 

15 minutes ago, Tatterdamillion said:

I do not like how small much of the mtg art is so that has been a reason I only own one piece.

I had a fun Brom that I had to get rid of. Same issue, just too small. I'll admit that's a pretty barrier to entry for me.

11 minutes ago, Tatterdamillion said:

You really don't care for MTG art! You aint lyin'.

I picked it up for Brom not context (MTG). Nice Brom. Horrible size and (to me) no other redeeming qualities whatsoever, so size (lack) trumped visual appeal (which was punished too by: size!)

8 minutes ago, Bronty said:

You can find it here if you care (filter on brom pieces only)

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&artist=["Brom"]

It must have been ccg other than MTG then, I'm not seeing it but it was definitely game card art, published, and small as you'd expect. I'll dig around, probably have info somewhere in my mess...