• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, exitmusicblue said:

Yum... got a couple in my decks.

So does everyone!   Great card and it might be the most played card of all time if you think about it.   It was  good then, it was good later, and it was an uncommon so everyone had one, and it worked in basically every deck.

Edited by Bronty

59 minutes ago, Bronty said:

So does everyone!   Great card and it might be the most played card of all time if you think about it.   It was  good then, it was good later, and it was an uncommon so everyone had one, and it worked in basically every deck.

Us old fogeys, yep... the new generation, not so much. lol

On 11/8/2022 at 3:47 AM, Peter G said:

Black Lotus > DK 1 seems wrong to me but the market has spoken I suppose

I'm with you my friend. But I don't have a problem with the Black Lotus evaluation. It's the most admired and sought MTG card and it's beautiful.

We probably discussed DKR1 to death this summer. But my expectations for that were + four .five million. Maybe one day?

Edited by grapeape

On 11/8/2022 at 6:47 AM, Peter G said:

Black Lotus > DK 1 seems wrong to me but the market has spoken I suppose

I think the difference is that in comic Oa there are lots of possible candidates for big valuations.    This is the runaway #1 in this area so that’s really not apples to apples.   There’s more money in comic Oa for sure but to magic collectors this is more like the amazing fantasy 15 cover OA , if it exists, than dk1.   That being said, I was definitely on the side of being surprised dk1 didn’t go for more.

Edited by Bronty

On 11/8/2022 at 9:41 AM, zhamlau said:

What’s a Gem Mint PSA 10 or BGS 9.5 of the alpha lotus sell for, 400k?

The artwork is apparently worth 10 gem copies from its first version, doesn’t seem unrealistic at all on that level.

I believe thr card sells for more than that in that kind of grade.    I don’t really follow it in that grade but I would have said 600-800.    An average played copy is probably 75k.   A practically destroyed and color touched copy is still 45k maybe.   Anything NM is going to be six figures plus and anything starting to look mintyish is going to be 150-200 and they go up from there.   

Most expensive slab I ever cracked !

5B4A1C3C-E494-4510-9328-DEE8E59A35D0.jpeg

A7F2FE21-8C09-438E-B26B-1E239F4C7373.jpeg

Edited by Bronty

On 11/9/2022 at 11:32 PM, zhamlau said:

Ok so let’s say 800k, the original art is only worth 5x a gem mint copy of the first version, don’t see any issue with that price when compared that way.

Sure.    The issue just becomes the absolute dollar figure I suppose.    4m is 4m.    I agree that the price wasn't unreasonable.    

Edited by Bronty

On 11/8/2022 at 4:37 AM, Bronty said:

Reported $4m sale of black lotus painting owned by Josh Patel and brokered by Daniel Chang.    Good discussion from 20-25 minute mark especially in Daniel’s own words . 

Is he a Count Dracula fan or something?

On 11/11/2022 at 7:28 PM, The Voord said:

Is he a Count Dracula fan or something?

It was Halloween (shrug).    Just some YouTube personality anyways that doesn’t say anything in the video or have any direct knowledge.   95% of the video is Daniel talking, who brokered the sale.