• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Near six figure MTG art sales

619 posts in this topic

Here's one of the related articles. Ugin (another brand new card ) @11k

Fate Reforged doesn't hit retail shelves until later this week, however today Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:22 AM EST an eBay auction for the original Magic: The Gathering artwork of the new alternate art Ugin, the Spirit Dragon by Chris Rahn reached a cool $11,512.00. That's huge news for the Magic: The Gathering art community.

Update: The auction ended on at 10:00 PM EST Jan. 22 to a winning bid of $12,550.00.

While older hard to find original paintings of iconic Magic: The Gathering cards have been known to be listed and sell for thousands of dollars on the secondary market, Ugin, the Spirit Dragon is a brand new painting from a set which hasn't even released yet. The original artwork for Juzam Djinn was listed for $200,000, however one needs only took look at the recently sold alternate art Black Lotus (which coincidentally enough is another painting by Chris Rahn) actually sold for $16,099. There's several factors at play here which may be driving up the price of the alternate art Ugin, the Spirit Dragon though.

Ugin, the Spirit Dragon is a planeswalker. Planeswalkers play a central role in the game's story, making these characters iconic in and of themselves. While all original Magic: The Gathering artwork is unique and planeswalkers appear on other cards, there's only a limited number of planeswalkers in the game. There's been 57 unique planeswalker cards printed as of this article's publication, however it's important to note that some planeswalkers have multiple versions (for instance there's four versions of Ajani: Ajani Steadfast, Ajani Mentor of Heroes, Ajani Caller of the Pride, and Ajani Goldmane).

In the case of Ugin, the Spirit Dragon, the alternate art was used on the promotional alternate art copies of the card which were only available through special "Ugin's Fate" booster packs at the Fate Reforged prerelease. Many players also think that the alternate art Ugin, the Spirit Dragon also looks better than the normal art which is featured on the planeswalker. Additionally, the painting itself is larger than normal Magic: The Gathering original artworks coming in at a whopping 18 x 24 inches. These contributing factors may be part of the formula which has driven up the price of the original artwork.

With so many Magic: The Gathering artists switching over to digital medium, the high price tag of this auction might be enough to sway some artists back to painting physically. What are your thoughts about the alternate art Ugin, the Spirit Dragon original artwork reaching so high on eBay? Please let us know in the comments or via Twitter.

Keep up with Dave's latest Magic: The Gathering articles

As to the other poster re: special effects and ability to create same in the physical space...I'd argue it (anything) can be done...but whether the young kids have the skill, talent, patience to learn..

agree totally, would also note re special effects that the Ajani art linked above seems to be using a lighting effect around the face similar to what you would see digitally. i.e. almost seems like the art did exactly what we are talking about on that piece.

. . . But if $15k numbers are floating around in enough quantity, I'm sure some will give it a go...that's good money in a world (USA) where the average household (two earners) income is only $50k!

That's the kind of incentive I had in mind.

If there's good money to be made on resale of physical OA, why not give it a try? (shrug)

Since I used to play M:TG back in the day, I had a little interest in getting some OA from it.

I dipped my toe in, and it just didn't do it for me. But I have watched from the sidelines as the prices have escalated at an insane rate over the last 5 or so years.

mid 4-figures used to get you some nice stuff. now lower it seems like the entry point for something halfway decent is around 2k.

As to the other poster re: special effects and ability to create same in the physical space...I'd argue it (anything) can be done...but whether the young kids have the skill, talent, patience to learn..

agree totally, would also note re special effects that the Ajani art linked above seems to be using a lighting effect around the face similar to what you would see digitally. i.e. almost seems like the art did exactly what we are talking about on that piece.

On the Original Magic Art web-site, they regularly showcase latest works. Sometimes I could swear that I'm looking at traditionally painted artworks, only to learn (as a footnote to the image) that the art was created digitally.

Steve Belledin has an on-line blog presence in which he outlines his creation processes (well worth checking-out, fascinating stuff). Steve paints traditionally, but creates digitally-produced prelims.

Not Juzam I don't think. It was a big deal once but an afterthought now.

I did find a friend if the guy that owns the lotus maybe 5 years ago and thought about offering, but even then - too much money

Bronty if you were posting all those Magic articles on my behalf...thanks! but sorry!! (I already read them via the link). By full story, I meant the one about the dealer disappearing with a lot of the art. Ya know..the crime one, that's what I'm into...Law 'n Order :)

Additionally, the painting itself is larger than normal Magic: The Gathering original artworks coming in at a whopping 18 x 24 inches.

Heh heh. "Whopping." lol.

(and YES I know it's all relative, as most MTG are like 8x10 or smaller GAH!!)

Additionally, the painting itself is larger than normal Magic: The Gathering original artworks coming in at a whopping 18 x 24 inches.

Heh heh. "Whopping." lol.

(and YES I know it's all relative, as most MTG are like 8x10 or smaller GAH!!)

the early ones are 5 by 7 :sick:

Bronty if you were posting all those Magic articles on my behalf...thanks! but sorry!! (I already read them via the link). By full story, I meant the one about the dealer disappearing with a lot of the art. Ya know..the crime one, that's what I'm into...Law 'n Order :)

Oh I see. I'll see if I can find it.

Posting from one of the early artists about his stolen art. I'll see if I can find more:

"Many years ago, not long after the first set for Magic: The Gathering was released, I consigned many of those first pieces to a gallery in Kirkland, Washington called WIZARDS GALLERY, owned by MARC RIECK. Four of the pieces were sold legal and fine, but the gallery abruptly closed and the artwork was not returned, despite the contract we'd signed. If you've seen or heard of any of these artworks being sold or re-sold, or know the whereabouts of Mr. Rieck, please contact me:

Chaos Orb, Fireball, Helm of Chatzuk, Jayemdae Tome, Lord of the Pit, Nevinyrral's Disk, Sol Ring (I), Time Vault, Timetwister, Wall of Wood, Winter Orb, Wooden Sphere.

tedinmark@mindspring.com

Thanks!"

interesting, looks like a few stolen pieces have come up:

--

Mark is aware of the site. [site showed originals but is now down]

--

CHAOS ORB!!!!! Oh man, any estimates on the cost of that beauty?

--

I have no idea what the statute of limitations is in Wash State. But it might be interesting considering the possible value of the Chaos Orb could move it into the category of Grand Larceny which might change the limitations.

In any case, I consider it stolen property even if the law did not.

Gary

--

Tedin definitely wasn't the only artist victimized by Rieck's thievery, though I couldn't swear to the others anymore - it's been too long since I heard the stories from the artists I was buying sketches from, and I didn't write any of it down.

Needless to say, the presence of Disk, Timetwister, and Chaos Orb all in the same group does suggest that "Paul" may have had some contact with Rieck, or mmmaybe the buyer before him, but honestly, more of these than just the Tedins may have come from Rieck.. ask the artists.

MT might "be aware of the situation" and it might be too late to recuperate his losses but imagine the money he got F___d out of there. Timetwister, Time Vault, Disk, Orb/s, Fireball... imagine how much money EACH of those pieces will get on Ebay and who knows in the future. It's at least 100K I'd imagine. Sky is the limit though and probably a lot more than that-

So some random guy "legally" got them from someone who stole them. So it's all good... this is why I hate the overall "community" of MTG players in general. Love the game though;)

---

I made sure to confirm with the owner and Mark Tedin that the paintings were purchased legally, and both parties confirm that they were purchased above board.

Mark is actually working with the owner now to get more information.

These were purchased while Mark Tedin was being represented by the Gallery Owner. There was nothing shady about the purchases themselves, the fact that the gallery owner did not send Mark the money for the purchases is not the fault of the current owner.

The current owner bought them in good faith as the gallery owner was in fact representing many artists at the time of purchase, not just Mark Tedin.

There are definitely legal consequences for the gallery owner, and I do hope Mark gets justice for this theft, but the current owner acted in good faith and both parties agree to this.

The fact that the pieces have surfaced with potential sales records may give Mark more legal backing to seek damages from the gallery owner.

Cool. Glad you put a name to it. Ya never know who you'll run into and wish you'd run away from. Another to add to The List ;)

I can't find the more detailed article, sorry. I know I read a fleshed out version years ago, but I just can't find it.

If you really wanted more info the place to go would be MTG Librarities. Sloooow forum though.

We're talking post the question and check back in two weeks ;)

Cool. Glad you put a name to it. Ya never know who you'll run into and wish you'd run away from. Another to add to The List ;)

I can't find the more detailed article, sorry. I know I read a fleshed out version years ago, but I just can't find it.

If you really wanted more info the place to go would be MTG Librarities. Sloooow forum though.

We're talking post the question and check back in two weeks ;)

"WIZARDS GALLERY, owned by MARC RIECK" good enough, thanks

Any of the Moxes, Juzam Djinn, and most certainly the Black Lotus would fetch six figures without question, in my mind.

Well considering Daniel has stated he sold Juzam Djinn for 20K in the last few years I'd find tht doubtful. Also considering I recently saw an ad for his site listing that Juzam sale as a major highlight sale along with the recent relaunch of his site I find these "reported sales" highly questionable...

Cool. Its an interesting situation with Tedin.

He has multiple grail type pieces on his stolen list.

Yet, he was willing to sell them for a couple hundred each in the 90s.

If the stolen property was actually recovered he'd effectively have had the theft protect him from his own mistake.

It may never be recovered and he may never be compensated, but wouldn't it be something if he got a bunch of money 20 years later for something he wanted to give away

Any of the Moxes, Juzam Djinn, and most certainly the Black Lotus would fetch six figures without question, in my mind.

Well considering Daniel has stated he sold Juzam Djinn for 20K in the last few years I'd find tht doubtful. Also considering I recently saw an ad for his site listing that Juzam sale as a major highlight sale along with the recent relaunch of his site I find these "reported sales" highly questionable...

Ehh I dunno. I know we've had this debate privately and what you are saying is certainly possible - I acknowledged the source in the OP. But if I was relaunching my website I might look at timing my announcements that way without any malicious intent, as well.

If new art can crack five figures, first set, (legitimately acquired - not stolen) art for big cards at 50k+ doesn't seem so unrealistic. The game is pretty popular worldwide and there are very few originals that would check all those boxes.

That Juzam sale was several years ago as I recall. If he's having to use that as a recent announcment if anything that says to me he's not making up the sales, but they aren't flying off the shelves at high prices either (wouldn't expect them to anyways).