• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moon Girl #5, Black Cat Mystery #50 Replicas and now Moon Girl #1...

24 posts in this topic

I've posted some pics in comics general as I've restored these books, but thought it might be of interest here in gold. My company, Canton Street Press (www.cantonstreetpress.com), will be shipping the first of our replica editions to Diamond Comics next week. I have the books in hand and have taken some pics next to the originals. The idea behind the replicas is to attempt to reproduce what it was like to buy these books off the stands. The dimensions are identical to the original and all ads and editorial content is included. The only difference is an updated indicia. Each page is digitally restored from books in my collection. For that those might care, the Diamond SKUs are:

Moon Girl #5 AUG151282

Black Cat Mystery #50 AUG151281

We have also solicited Moon Girl #1 (SEP151187) and Teen-Age Romances #14 (Diamond SKU not yet assigned).

I'd love any feedback on the books.

Cover

001_zpscytwmujj.jpg

Zombie Terror Splash:

003_zpsy04nlq5d.jpg

Moon Girl Splash:

006_zpslfi5ql60.jpg

Black Cat Mystery #50 cover. My copy is coverless and with a mangled detached cover. So, no comparable in this pic. Cover scan to restore was provided by a board member.

DSCN3546_zpslrkwixp6.jpg

Table of Contents

DSCN3549_zpsxqmbodvo.jpg

Moe Gambo splash

DSCN3548_zpslf20htpd.jpg

White Heat splash

DSCN3547_zpsjnvbudxt.jpg

I didn't mean to be confusing. Since this isn't the sales forum, I had meant this more an a preview/promotional thread. I'd love to get the word out on these books as they are being published. Of course, I would love to sell them too :) They are available from any comic book store that has a Diamond account as well as direct from us. DCBS/IST offers them online too. I'm just trying not to break the rules by offering them here.

Awhile back this year, I had received a book that I had won in an eBay auction, and included was the Moon Girl reprint. Excellent copy, which now resides with my other genuine EC's.

What other books do you plan on reproducing?

I have a long list of books I would like to do. We will likely finish the Moon Girl run before collecting it and her other appearances in a hardcover. I would love to eventually print all of Matt Baker's romance books (in collected editions). We will be submitting our next round of solicits in early Nov and will include either Wartime Romances #1 or Pictorial Confessions #1. My early solicits are intentionally varied to see what sells.

I do have a copy of All Top #8 and plan to do that issue. Figured I would mention it seeing as it is your avatar :) I have the cover to Blue Beetle #54, but no insides. I would love to find a coverless (or really beat copy) and produce that issue.

We will also be pursuing collected editions of various titles. Our Original Ghost Rider Vol 1 HC recently shipped and collects the early ME Ghost Rider stories. November will see the Diamond solicitation for Harvey's Race for the Moon TP with contributions from Simon, Kirby, Powell and Williamson. If all goes well, we should also be announcing a B&W line similar to Marvel Essentials or DC Showcase. They will be 400-600 page volumes of material that might not justify the cost of a full color restoration.

I am always looking for input on what to produce as a replica or TP/HC. The only requirement is that it needs to be public domain.

The Black Cat looks tremendous! Great job!

I will be ordering one of these. What a pleasure it will be to flip through and read a nice repro and not have to worry about damaging and/or paying for an original!

What you are doing is truly wonderful, but is it possible you could make it more obvious that these are reproductions?

Unfortunately we live in a world where there are ebay scammers who would most likely misuse these.

That would probably defeat the purpose. Obvious alterations to the original would make these less attractive to collectors seeking fill-in subs for tough books. hm

The terms replica and reproduction aren't interchangeable. Replicas attempt to duplicate original source material closely while reproductions are qualified facsimiles with a variety of alterations. That said, replicas are still clearly different to the trained eye.

I'm on the same page with you about ebay scammer abuse, but high quality replicas aren't going to change that aspect of the hobby. As experienced collectors we'll still need to expose fraud whenever it comes to our attention. Note: Pulp replicas have been around for awhile now without damaging the pulp collecting market.

I haven't seen either of these comic replicas up close (in hand), but they look nice so I'm prone to giving my endorsement. (thumbs u

I feel that the changed indicia,

"originally published June 1954 by Home Comics Inc. Replica edition published August 2015 by Canton Street Press"

Is certainly valid in establishing that it is NOT an original. Of course there will always be sleezeballs on The Bay trying to pass them off as the real deal, but once received and that little detail recognized, all a buyer has to do is file a SNAD claim to get a refund.

You better have me first on the notification list for my All Top 8 replica...:wink:

BTW, if the Phantom Lady series is public domain, that would be my vote for additional replicas. Also, Crime Does Not Pay, issues 24, 25, 26, 33, 42, 43, & 46.

We did change the indicia to note these are published in 2015 and are not the original books. I didn't want to obscure the books with barcodes or anything similar to detract from the original look of the books. The barcode and ISBN are printed on an insert that is bagged with the comics.

Thanks jayman! Check your PMs. There's a comp copy waiting for you. I appreciate the use of your cover scans.

Yes, the Fox and Farrell Phantom Lady books are public domain. I own a few issues and could do those. The Crime Does Not Pay issues are good suggestions. I don't think I had seen #46 before.

We did change the indicia to note these are published in 2015 and are not the original books. I didn't want to obscure the books with barcodes or anything similar to detract from the original look of the books. The barcode and ISBN are printed on an insert that is bagged with the comics.

Thanks jayman! Check your PMs. There's a comp copy waiting for you. I appreciate the use of your cover scans.

Yes, the Fox and Farrell Phantom Lady books are public domain. I own a few issues and could do those. The Crime Does Not Pay issues are good suggestions. I don't think I had seen #46 before.

Some of the Phantom Lady issues have been reprinted in a similar format. Many of the Harvey horror series have also been reprinted in the multi-issue volume format. Both of the series look pretty good. There are a lot of really rare comics that could be reprinted so it is probably a good idea to look for a nook that hasn't been filled.

15651032891_9bab889aef_c.jpg

I'm bumping this thread from last month as I just picked up copies of Moon Girl #1 from the printer. These will be packaged and shipped to Diamond next week. They should be in retailers a week or so afterward. Also, starting with our Teen-Age Romances #14 in January, we will be calling the line Flashback Golden Age Replicas in the indicia in a nod to the Flashback reprints from the 1970s. Moon Girl #1 will retroactively become the third issue in that series.

008_zps2kddwmd3.jpg

013_zpsnprft6hj.jpg

012_zpsctjaosiu.jpg

009_zps685xs0rj.jpg

Personally I don't like these replicas at all. I've seen way too many scams over the years where the question was -- why on earth did the publishers put these out there, without any tell-tale ways to discern the difference between the reprint/replica and the original?

I think it's irresponsible and a net negative for the collecting community. Then to see these dumped on eBay in the golden-age section, where they confuse people scanning for authentic vintage comics? Blech.

My two cents.

I am sure the publisher could find a small and unobtrusive way to put a small 2015 on the cover or better yet on the back where it would not detract from the cover art. I would have no issue with that on the back cover ad.

I can't believe that anyone would mistake a replica for the real deal, based on condition and offered price, not to mention the difference in the paper used vs the original newsprint stock.

And he SAID that the indicia would display a 2015 print date, as the only difference, since these are aimed at the collector fill-in-a-hole market. Regardless, that should be indication enough for a prudent buyer. What's the old saying, "caveat emptor"?

Personally I don't like these replicas at all. I've seen way too many scams over the years where the question was -- why on earth did the publishers put these out there, without any tell-tale ways to discern the difference between the reprint/replica and the original?

I think it's irresponsible and a net negative for the collecting community. Then to see these dumped on eBay in the golden-age section, where they confuse people scanning for authentic vintage comics? Blech.

My two cents.

How about we celebrate a publisher dedicated to producing a top-quality product instead of complaining that he didn't define the production from a defensive crouch?

Thanks for all the comments. The indicia on these books clearly state they are printed in 2015, are replicas, and note the original date of publication. There is no intent to deceive, but to offer collectors an opportunity to own something similar to the original. The books are packaged for retail bagged with a printed insert which contains the barcode, price and ISBN. We could have printed the barcode on the book, but it would certainly take away from the period feel of the book.

Yes, house ads are included. I'll get a couple pics of those posted.

Here is what the books look like at retail:

DSCN3593_zps0gclozqx.jpg

Thanks for all the comments. The indicia on these books clearly state they are printed in 2015, are replicas, and note the original date of publication. There is no intent to deceive, but to offer collectors an opportunity to own something similar to the original. The books are packaged for retail bagged with a printed insert which contains the barcode, price and ISBN. We could have printed the barcode on the book, but it would certainly take away from the period feel of the book.

Yes, house ads are included. I'll get a couple pics of those posted.

Here is what the books look like at retail:

DSCN3593_zps0gclozqx.jpg

(thumbs u:applause: