• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's LEGION TV show by FX
1 1

289 posts in this topic

FARGO Producer Noah Hawley Talks LEGION Pilot & How Deal With Marvel Came To Be

xRPvKqg.jpg

A new interview with Noah Hawley, who will write the pilot episode for Legion and will also serve as one of the show's executive producers, has seemingly confirmed the fact. Speaking with TV insider, Hawley revealed that the show had been in the works for quite a while and was only held up because of Marvel's extensive dealmaking process: "Fox has rights to make movies and sort of tacitly the rights to do TV, but they've never done it before so they had to work out all the details." Sounds like a good enough reason, best to get all the kinks worked out before embarking on such an ambitious project.

Hawley went on to confirm that Bryan Singer & Lauren Shuler Donner, who are the masterminds behind the X-Men film universe, were also the brains behind the bringing the X-Men to television.

As to why he specifically decided to adapt Legion, Hawley further explained:

"What I really like about him is, here's a character who is schizophrenic on some level, a character struggling with mental illness. Is he crazy or does he have these powers? The answer is, kind of both. I'm a big believer that the structure of a story should reflect the content of the story. And so I liked the idea that if you have a character that doesn't know what's real and what's not real, that is also the audience's journey."

Finally, it seems as though Marvel Television will have at least some involvement with the two X-Men shows: "FX Productions is the lead studio. My relationship is with FX primarily, and I'm just getting to know Jeph Loeb and the people at Marvel, and I think it's going to be collaboration in the best sense." It's probably safe to assume their involvement will be minimal at best, but it's certainly interesting to see Marvel & Fox working together so openly.

:whee:

FARGO's Rachel Keller Will Play The Female Lead In FX's LEGION TV Series

Deadline reports that Fargo season 2 standout Rachel Keller will rejoin showrunner Noah Hawley for his X-Men spin-off, Legion. The main character will of course be troubled mutant David Haller, but Keller has been cast as the mysterious female lead. All we have to go on is that she's "a scrappy, optimistic woman in her 20s," and will demonstrate powers that are "tied to human touch", much like X-Men mainstay, Rogue.

129582.jpg

I liked her in Fargo. This should be interesting.

FX's Legion Anticipated to Debut in 2016; Series Not Set in X-Men Film Universe

The X-Men-based TV series, Legion, likely will be coming to FX by the end of 2016.

FX President John Landgraf spoke to critics at the 2016 winter Television Critics Association press tour about the new 20th Century Fox/FX/Marvel collaboration, which Fargo's Noah Hawley is serving as showrunner on. Fargo actress Rachel Keller was recently cast in an unknown role on the series.

"We're quite well along. We've had a writing staff working. We've seen not only the pilot but several episodes and we're well in process of casting," he said. "I would anticipate that Legion would go on the air some time in 2016, this year."

"It's not in the continuity of those films in the sense the current X-Men films take place in a universe in which everybody on planet Earth is aware of the existence of mutants," he said. "The series Legion takes place in a parallel universe, if you will, in which the US government is in the early days of being aware that something called mutants exist but the public is not. I wouldn't foresee characters moving back and forth because they really are parallel universes."

"I'm pretty optimistic about Legion," Landgraf added. "The scripts are extraordinary."

FX's Legion Anticipated to Debut in 2016; Series Not Set in X-Men Film Universe

The X-Men-based TV series, Legion, likely will be coming to FX by the end of 2016.

FX President John Landgraf spoke to critics at the 2016 winter Television Critics Association press tour about the new 20th Century Fox/FX/Marvel collaboration, which Fargo's Noah Hawley is serving as showrunner on. Fargo actress Rachel Keller was recently cast in an unknown role on the series.

"We're quite well along. We've had a writing staff working. We've seen not only the pilot but several episodes and we're well in process of casting," he said. "I would anticipate that Legion would go on the air some time in 2016, this year."

"It's not in the continuity of those films in the sense the current X-Men films take place in a universe in which everybody on planet Earth is aware of the existence of mutants," he said. "The series Legion takes place in a parallel universe, if you will, in which the US government is in the early days of being aware that something called mutants exist but the public is not. I wouldn't foresee characters moving back and forth because they really are parallel universes."

"I'm pretty optimistic about Legion," Landgraf added. "The scripts are extraordinary."

It's exclusivity from the main Fox X-Universe is disappointing to me in some aspects, but intriguing in others. That must have been a conversation they had early on, and if the decision was made to keep it independent, it must have been for a good reason. hm

Legion Casts Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, And Jean Smart

Dan Stevens has been cast as the lead protagonist, David Haller, in FX’s upcoming X-Men spinoff pilot Legion. Stevens (Downtown Abbey) will be joined by Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) and Jean Smart (Fargo) in supporting roles.

According to announcement, Stevens’ Haller is “a haunted man, trying to find his way back to sanity, but he's getting tired and is about to give up when he meets the girl of his dreams.” The announcement offered no further details on David's dream girl, but fans of the character's latest stories in the pages of X-Men: Legacy will know that he fell for the young mutant precognitive called Blindfold.

Plaza will play Lenny, a likeable and optimistic recovering addict and friend to David. Smart, who is reuniting with showrunner and Fargo creator Noah Hawley, will play Melanie, David’s therapist.

Legion Casts Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, And Jean Smart

Dan Stevens has been cast as the lead protagonist, David Haller, in FX’s upcoming X-Men spinoff pilot Legion. Stevens (Downtown Abbey) will be joined by Aubrey Plaza (Parks and Recreation) and Jean Smart (Fargo) in supporting roles.

According to announcement, Stevens’ Haller is “a haunted man, trying to find his way back to sanity, but he's getting tired and is about to give up when he meets the girl of his dreams.” The announcement offered no further details on David's dream girl, but fans of the character's latest stories in the pages of X-Men: Legacy will know that he fell for the young mutant precognitive called Blindfold.

Plaza will play Lenny, a likeable and optimistic recovering addict and friend to David. Smart, who is reuniting with showrunner and Fargo creator Noah Hawley, will play Melanie, David’s therapist.

Aubrey Plaza :devil::luhv:

Newcomer Jeremie Harris Joins The Cast Of FX's 'Legion' Pilot

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed that newcomer Jeremie Harris (The Get Down) has been cast as a series regular in FX's upcoming Legion pilot. It seems that Harris will be playing an original mutant character who has never appeared in the comics before named 'Ptonomy'. The character is described as "an outsider by nature, stand-offish and sardonic who is a former child prodigy who feels trapped in the past." He will join Dan Stevens, Rachel Keller, Aubrey Plaza and Jean Smart in the pilot for the potential X-Men spinoff series which is expected to start filming next month. Sound off with your thoughts in the comments section below.

Cbg8qWYWcAA9nN9.jpg

X-MEN: Bryan Singer Discusses Upcoming Hellfire & Legion TV Shows

The X-Men franchise has been curiously absent from the small screen, perhaps due to behind-the-scenes rights issues that exist between Marvel and Fox. That is set to change with Hellfire and Legion, two upcoming X-Men TV shows. The two shows are headed for different networks, with Hellfire to appear on FOX and Legion to appear on its sibling network FX, but both of them revolve around characters originating from the X-Men comics.

Besides their link to the X-Men franchise, the two shows have another thing in common: director Bryan Singer will serve as executive producer on both. Recently, Singer was asked about what the two shows might add to the X-Men universe onscreen. “I think the underbelly [could be explored]. There’s always something interesting about a school that’s got a military aspect beneath its classrooms," he said. "Is there another layer to all of that? Is there another layer to the Hellfire Club? The idea of, ‘Who’s running the world?’ — that’s something that was touched upon in First Class but has yet to be fully explored. It just has to be explored in a very gentle, methodical way. And I’ve seen it go haywire. I’m not going to be specific where I believe it has. The audience will tell you. But when it’s done right, it all can connect.”

I thought originally they both were on Fox. Interesting!

Legion Producer Teases ‘Whimsical & Imaginative’ X-Men TV Series

Legion is being developed for Fox’s FX cable network, and with it comes someone who is familiar with FX: Noah Hawley, who previously created the Fargo TV series for the channel. Hawley has been brought on board to write the pilot for Legion, as well as act as an executive producer. Writing the pilot episode gives him the opportunity to influence the style and tone of the episodes that follow it, and if a recent interview is any indication, Hawley has some ideas for how he wants the show to turn out.

Speaking to Vanity Fair, Hawley provided some insight into what he expects out of Legion, and what he expects is not a typical superhero TV show. Rather, the unique title character of the show offers an opportunity to explore a story not seen elsewhere in the genre:

“I always feel like the structure of a story should reflect the content of the story. If the story, as in this case, is about a guy who is either schizophrenic or he has these abilities, i.e., he doesn’t know what’s real and what’s not real, then the audience should have the same experience.”

Hawley said he wants the show to have”more existential exploration” than a typical superhero TV show and a “surreal or dreamlike quality where it’s not just about running and kicking.” With the explosion of other comic book-based TV shows in the last few years, he sees the need to stand out from the crowd:

“There’s, whatever, 9,000 superhero stories right now. They’ve got all the running and kicking covered. I think my goal with this is to do something whimsical and imaginative and unexpected. Not just because I want to do something different, but because it feels like the right way to tell this story.”

FX Picks Up LEGION; New Details And First Image Of Titular Character Played By Dan Stevens Released

574dea61c7dba.jpg

"We’ve come to expect excellence from Noah Hawley and with 'Legion' he has delivered another major creative achievement," said Grad in a statement released via Marvel.com. "Just as he did in reimagining 'Fargo,' he is bringing an entirely new aesthetic and sensibility to the enormously popular and richly represented X-Men world. The pilot episode is stunning, driven by incredible performances from Dan Stevens, Aubrey Plaza, Jean Smart, Rachel Keller and the rest of the cast. We join our producing partners at Marvel in congratulating the creative team for what they’ve accomplished and are as excited as the fans for the premiere of 'Legion’s' first season."

"Marvel Television is thrilled to not only have our first partnership with FX go to series, but working with the enormously talented Noah Hawley makes it even better," said Executive Producer and Head of Marvel TV, Jeph Loeb, "From the first time we heard Noah's vision to his exceptional -script and cast through the extraordinary filming of the pilot, we knew the series would be incredible."

:whee:

X-Men TV Series Legion To Broadcast Day And Date In 125 Countries

Marvel and Fox today announced FX’s new X-Men television series Legion will air day and date on Fox networks in over 125 countries. The show was picked up for an eight-episode first season last week, with a planned early 2017 premiere date. Based on Marvel Comics character David Haller, Legion is created by Noah Hawley (Fargo) and set in the universe of 20th Century Fox’s X-Men film franchise.

“Legion brings the X-Men universe to life, as a character driven, serialized TV show, in a truly amazing new way, and we’re pleased that X-Men fans will have the opportunity to see it simultaneously in the 125 countries where Fox is available,” said Fox Networks Group Chairman and CEO Peter Rice.

“FX is thrilled to collaborate with our international partners to bring Legion to audiences worldwide and the day-and-date delivery will make this a truly global event,” said Eric Schrier, President of Original Programming, FX Networks and FX Productions. “With the universal appeal of the X-Men franchise, fans will be amazed with the artistry and ambition that Noah Hawley and this extraordinary cast have brought to Legion.”

“We are thrilled to be partnering with FOX Networks Group to launch Legion to a massive global audience,” said Executive Producer and Marvel’s Head of Television, Jeph Loeb. “In our storytelling, it is imperative to us that we’re creating characters and a universe that resonates with people around the world and we are so proud to introduce this cast of characters to fans everywhere.”

LEGION Writer/Producer Noah Hawley Shares A New Image Of Dan Stevens As David Haller

3HbAcGu.png

This new look at Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey, The Guest) as David Haller was posted by Legion executive producer/writer Noah Hawley's Instagram page. Whereas the first official still from the show featured Haller is his civvies, his attire in this shot from the editing bay looks more like prison/mental institution wear.

In the comics David Haller is the son of Charles Xavier, but we've been told that this show won't be set in the established X-Men movie continuity so don't expect any mentions of the all-powerful mutant.

The pilot was filmed in Vancouver in the spring of 2016. On May 31, 2016, FX picked up Legion to series, with an eight-episode order. The series will debut on FX in early 2017.

X-MEN Producer States FX's LEGION Will Be As 'Radically Different' As DEADPOOL

Simon Kinberg, producer and writer on X-Men: Apocalypse, told Moviefone:

The success of Deadpool showed the studio not just the mainline X-Men movies, but there are characters - and characters with different tones and voices that can justify their own movie as well. So, Gambit and Deadpool and New Mutants and even others - We're really serious about making, and then, like the way Marvel has done so brilliantly, the Marvel Studios have done so brillaintly feeding them in and out of each other's stories. Tonally it's very different. Noah Haweley is a genius - he wrote and created and directed the pilot to Legion - and it is a very different sensibility than anything we've done with the X-Men movies. Almost, i would say, as radically different as Deadpool was from the mainline X-Men movies.

As someone posted in the comments...

But didn't we learn a long time ago not to believe anything Simon Kinberg says?

giphy.gif

I hope this show proves itself when it comes out.

:wishluck:

In the comics David Haller is the son of Charles Xavier, but we've been told that this show won't be set in the established X-Men movie continuity so don't expect any mentions of the all-powerful mutant.

Fail. Why do they insist on doing like this?