• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's LEGION TV show by FX
1 1

289 posts in this topic

Three episodes  (and three and  half show hours in) the plot has not moved or been advanced one iota.  This show is way too talky and pretentious for its own good.  They "think" they're being deep and meaningful but the show is simply boring and uneventful.  I understand everything that is going on but I don't care.  The "story" is not compelling the main character is weak, the source material itself is thin, you only have eight episodes and you can't even make those interesting?  The fact that people are hoping (expecting) that there will be some big payoff at or near the end to justify all of this monotonous, repetitive, boring tedium is in itself a testament to the failure that this show is.  "But it's trying to be different!".  Yes, different is great. "Different" just for the sake of being so, and existing for the sole purpose of being "different" is not enough to sustain a show. What works for Fargo ain't gonna work for the X-Men.  

Maybe if the creators weren't so busy smelling their own :censored: they would have been able to produce something that was actually "worth" watching and wasn't hemmoraghing viewers from its already low starting point.  

I'll finish it because it's a relatively benign 8 episode commitment and it's well produced, even if the content of what they have produced sucks.

Edited by Jaydogrules

25 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Three episodes  (and three and  half show hours in) the plot has not moved or been advanced one iota.  This show is way too talky and pretentious for its own good.  They "think" they're being deep and meaningful but the show is simply boring and uneventful.  I understand everything that is going on but I don't care.  The "story" is not compelling the main character is weak, the source material itself is thin, you only have eight episodes and you can't even make those interesting?  The fact that people are hoping (expecting) that there will be some big payoff at or near the end to justify all of this monotonous, repetitive, boring tedium is in itself a testament to the failure that this show is.  "But it's trying to be different!".  Yes, different is great. "Different" just for the sake of being so, and existing for the sole purpose of being "different" is not enough to sustain a show. What works for Fargo ain't gonna work for the X-Men.  

Maybe if the creators weren't so busy smelling their own :censored: they would have been able to produce something that was actually "worth" watching and wasn't hemmoraghing viewers from its already low starting point.  

I'll finish it because it's a relatively benign 8 episode commitment and it's well produced, even if the content of what they have produced sucks.

:eek::tonofbricks:

On 2/25/2017 at 4:00 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I think you are exaggerating a bit. It doesn't appeal that much to you, fair enough, but it's objectively better than you're making out :-)

Pay off at the end? Hadn't occurred to me. It's been paying out extravagantly and consistently from the start. Still it isn't groundbreaking or anything, just an enjoyable entertainment for those that like that sort of thing.  I liken it to a blend of 12 Monkeys and Twin Peaks directed by Wes Anderson.

18 hours ago, Pitboss said:

I loved tonights episode,very trippy.Almost had a Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy feel at times.

That's a great analogy, as I was trying to put my finger on how this episode made me feel.

Overall, I am really enjoying this show. I have read people complaining about how confused they get when watching it on another forum. I could see that. If you need the storyline to be more straightforward, this is definitely not for you. But I love the characters, their slow reveal as we move forward, and even the mystery of the Yellow-Eyed Man (I'm leaning more towards Shadow King after that comment about the dog last night).

Keeping it going, FX!

Enjoyed this last episode also. Definitely a show to watch with like minded people. It would be unbearable to watch with someone who keeps asking "who's this" and "what's that?" :makepoint:

Well the latest overnights are in and this show continues to hemorrhage viewers en masse:

0.37 demo (down another 24.5% from last week).

0.750 total viewers  (down another 28% from last week).

There's no way to spin any of this into anything positive.  Not with Live +7 numbers, online streaming, or whatever other desperation tactic this show's few remaining fans may try to come up with to excuse or justify this turd.  

Episode 4 was literally more of the same AGAIN. Self-absorbed, pretentious crapola, disguised as high-minded "entertainment".  This show is an abject failure both creatively and commercially.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Noah Hawley's style IS NOT suited for this genre of story telling.  Fargo is already a contemplative, moody show, that does work well for Hawley.  It does NOT work in a show that's supposed to be about the X-Men.  Period.  It is simply a thematic and tonal mismatch that even a casual viewer can spot.  Liking this show does not make you "smart" anymore so than someone not liking it, or in my case, hating it, means that I don't understand what's going on.  I know EXACTLY what's going on.  Nothing. That's what's going on. The plot is thin  to non-existent, the characters are not engaging, the artsy fartsy junk is simply irritating and ham handed.  It is all style with practically no substance. After last night I'm done with it. 

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

18 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

But I love the characters, their slow reveal as we move forward, and even the mystery of the Yellow-Eyed Man (I'm leaning more towards Shadow King after that comment about the dog last night).

Didn't Jermaine Clement's character describe the yellow-eyed man as the monster in David's astral plane?  He also referred to him as something else, but I forget what exactly.  The evil side of David, or something like that?

45 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Didn't Jermaine Clement's character describe the yellow-eyed man as the monster in David's astral plane?  He also referred to him as something else, but I forget what exactly.  The evil side of David, or something like that?

He did.

The Shadow King is an entity of pure psychic energy which feeds on a hatred of humanity, manifesting itself by possessing the bodies of humans. Created by writer Chris Claremont and illustrator/co-writer John Byrne, the character first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #117 (January 1979) as the telepathic mutant Amahl Farouk. 

X-Treme X-Men and X-Men: True Friends developed the Shadow King into an entity of the astral plane which has existed since the dawn of humanity, an ethereal demon preferring to enslave the bodies of telepaths and psychics and use their capabilities to enslave others. As a side effect of its greed, hedonism and lack of self-control, the Shadow King's long-term telepathic hosts are often morbidly obese.

It seems to fit the mold. Unless this turns out to be a hybrid of Shadow King and Mojo.

5 hours ago, chezmtghut said:

Is it just me or does each episode seem weaker than the previous one? I'm starting to feel disappointed with this shows direction.

I agree...  I like the show but don't love it.  Someone compared it to westworld and I agree to that statement as well.  just seems to drag on in a monotone way but like westworld, I hope it can redeem itself.  One positive out of Legion is I stumbled upon Taboo (Tom Hardy) while reading up on Legion. 

Save it on your cable and watch in chunks.

I watched 1-4 last night and was blown away.

I don't know the story from comics as I have not read them, but as a fast-paced/low-paced show its an absolute mindfl uck

Really good - just don't leave it a week between viewing.

Edited by Beige

I liked the parts where David used his power in the real world.  I'm not much digging all the stuff that takes place in his head.  The highlight of the head stuff was Jemaine Clement last week acting all 70s groovy.

tumblr_om9u0c7w5q1qiaxzfo5_250.gif       tumblr_om9u0c7w5q1qiaxzfo1_400.gif