• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's LEGION TV show by FX
1 1

289 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Indeed it is. One of the lamest, laziest, cheapest narrativ

Well...the "it was all a dream" ending is cheap and lazy, but I can't really call Legion's structure cheap or lazy at all.  It's highly intricate and the opposite of lazy.  But I can't help but think "none of this is really happening" throughout most of every episode as I watch and it keeps me from digging it fully.

19 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Well...the "it was all a dream" ending is cheap and lazy, but I can't really call Legion's structure cheap or lazy at all.  It's highly intricate and the opposite of lazy.  But I can't help but think "none of this is really happening" throughout most of every episode as I watch and it keeps me from digging it fully.

Apologies, but I absolutely disagree.  And see past my spoiler tags for the litany of other reasons of what made this show bad, and the cheap narrative devices it used.

It's "all a dream" or "is it or isn't all a dream?" is a worn out, lazy style of story telling.  It renders everything that happens either meaningless or potentially meaningless  (which basically renders it meaningless).  It is cheap.  And it is a narrative stereotype.  

You want an "intricate" narrative ?  Watch Memento again.  

You want boring, redundant, pointless "storytelling" cloaked in nice production values and pseudo-existentialist "high art" psycho-babble, watch Legion.  

Or don't.  You really quite literally won't be missing anything.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

8 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:
15 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Apologies, but I absolutely disagree.  And see past my spoiler tags for the litany of other reasons of what made this show bad, and the cheap narrative devices it used.

It's "all a dream" or "is it or isn't a dream" is a worn out, lazy style of story telling.  It renders everything that happens either meaningless or potentially meaningless  (which basically renders it meaningless).  It is cheap.  And it is a stereotyoe.  

Or it's highly imaginative in a way you and I can't follow because we lack that type of imagination.  Which I don't blame either of us for at all, but I also don't blame Hawley for it, either, it's just not a style most people can follow which is why I'm also surprised this has already been renewed for a second season.

When my niece last had me sit down for a tea party with an imaginary teapot pouring imaginary tea into imaginary cups she had distributed to us, I didn't think she was being cheap or lazy, I just thought she was using a highly imaginative mode of thinking that I lost at some point in my path to adulthood.  I don't see how you can poop on Hawley's imaginary tea party in the form of David's mind games just because you're not into that type of thing anymore yourself.  You might not be into it just like I'm not, but it's not lazy, and I also don't see that it's bad--everything he's doing is hugely creative.  You and I just are unable to suspend our disbelief, but that's a requirement to get into any type of science fiction at all.  It's just far more of a requirement with this one.

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Or it's highly imaginative in a way you and I can't follow because we lack that type of imagination.  Which I don't blame either of us for at all, but I also don't blame Hawley for it, either, it's just not a style most people can follow which is why I'm also surprised this has already been renewed for a second season.

lol I follow it fine.  I simply find it neither interesting nor entertaining.  In fact, all it has done is completely prevent me from engaging with or caring about either the story or the characters within it. This is likely the reason why the show has turned into a total flop in the ratings.  

Again, there is nothing "new" or "innovative" about this type of narrative construct.  

In fact, it's been overused to the point of cliche.  To the point where even one of the character's practically mocks the show's own cartoonish over reliance on it in one of the early scenes in episode 7 (in the scene in the magic tube). 

Just one of many reasons why this show sucks.

-J.

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Indeed it is. One of the lamest, laziest, cheapest narrative devices in all of literature.  

And yeah, it literally describes the first full four episodes of this series, and all of episode 6 as well.

And thanks to Boscoe's well meaning suggestion I did watch episode 7.

Wow, what *spoon*. Okay, it wasn't as deliberately boring as the first 6 episodes.   

But it was relentlessly stupid. 

Spoilers if you don't want me to completely ruin this episode (and basically the whole show for you.)

Hide contents

-Special glasses that somehow magically block out both the sights AND sounds of the seemingly chaotic world of the mental ward?  Stupid.  

- The title cards being used pointlessly (as if a silent movie) over the first actual action sequence since the first episode?  Stupid.  Not to mention distracting.  

- The look of the Shadow king ?  Stupid.  Think, Dan Akroyd from the Coneheads.

-Knowing that, they over use Aubrey Plaza (a genuinely bad, one note "actress" ) as a stand in for the stupid looking shadow king for most of said, stupid, action scene.  

-Literally (and I do mean literally) SPELLING OUT the show, on a chalk board, the ENTIRE SHOW, just in case you didn't already know (Or, more likely, slept through it).  This also, cheap narrative device, by the way, also PROVED how utterly pointless and redundant the ENTIRE FIRST FOUR EPISODES AND SIXTH EPISODES WERE (and, unbelievably, this chalk board garbage was actually the SECOND time this episode that the entire show was spelled out directly to the viewer by a character, the first being in the "secret tube" in the beginning of the episode. Stupid stupid stupid.  

- Killing off the Eye, the one even semi-malevolent character, and the way they did.  Deux ex machina on the highest order  (yet, ANOTHER cheap narrative device).  And stupid.  

-Okay So David is basically Keanu Reeves at the end of the first Matrix?  Yeah that's really stupid.  

- And about that "magical crown" he's wearing at the end that somehow magically only suppresses the magic monster's powers.... How exactly was Bill Irwin able to move that and put it on David in the astral plane when it was made pretty clear that rigid objects there were immovable ?  Stupid. [/spolier]

Sorry, but seeing a flash of an "X" didn't give me a big enough of a boner to offset all the crapola that was spewed before.  

And before someone deigns to type out some long drawn out nerd  response that's supposed to "explain" this dumpster fire, don't bother.  I can assure you I get and understand all of it. What I don't get is how this poor nonsense is passing as "art", or, worse yet, "entertainment" to the handful of people left that are actually still watching.  Not only will people NOT be talking about this show in the future, I doubt there will be much of anybody left watching the second season by the time it poops around next year. 

Thanks Boscoe! :sumo::baiting::foryou:

-J.

Sorry you don't like this show so far. It's just not your thing, maybe. I can see that happening.

I'm loving it so far.

Edited by Bosco685

Same here - this thing is the bomb. I'm not really sure what most of the critics we've heard from are looking for, but for me this show has it all.

I especially appreciate the message regarding mental illness - if your brain has the ability to subject you to such pain, then it also has the ability to consider another perspective and take action. It's perhaps an overly optimistic message, but one that should be considered nonetheless.

On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:44 PM, Jaydogrules said:

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 9:48 PM, piper said:

Should I give this show a watch?

Skip it.  Even 8 episodes was too much. Didn't need more than two.  Same pretentious nonsense and filler over and over again.  

-J.

I agree. You have to like this type of show. I couldn't get into it and quit on episode 2.

Its like Westworld you either love it or hate it. (Which I hated)

Legion Season 2 Premiere -script Partially Revealed

s76Sp1B.jpg

Ahead of the show’s appearance at San Diego Comic-Con next week, Hawley spoke with Entertainment Weekly about the show’s forthcoming second season and even released a page of the -script.

The excerpt features Aubrey Plaza and Jemaine Clement’s characters Lenny Busker and Oliver Bird, recent runaways from the mutant haven the latter helped establish.

“Lenny and Oliver are being used by this character, Amahl Farouk,” Hawley said. “He wears their faces from time to time. It’s his way of hiding himself. I had this thought of, ‘What does Freddy Krueger do during the day?’ I thought it was interesting, the idea of the downtime of these characters. They’re not being used and so what is reality like for them? They’re being placated, that they’re in some place beautiful that may not actually be a physical space, it may be a mental space, like an astral plane. They have everything they need, they’re by the pool, it’s beautiful, but at a certain point, there’s part of them that realizes that they’re just trapped in this reality they don’t have any control over.”

It sounds like Legion will retain the mind-bending trippyness of the first season to great effect. Can Hawley top those excellent eight episodes of television? Based on how Fargo has been over the course of three seasons, we’ll say “yes.”

Dan Stevens Asked Patrick Stewart To Play Professor Xavier In Legion

legion-professor-xavier-225473-320x180.j

Dan Stevens won’t stop until Stewart reprises Professor Xavier in Legion.

The actor recently chatted with Entertainment Tonight after Legion’s San Diego Comic-Con panel, and Stevens revealed he’s already asked Stewart to play his character's dad.

"Oh god, Patrick Stewart takes a lot of beating and he did seem interested," Stevens said when asked about his desire to have Stewart come on Legion. ”He seemed very unaware of the show, but I mentioned that he was my dad, and he seemed pleasantly surprised."

Show-runner Noah Hawley cut in to confirm where the encounter took place. So, yes - Stevens asked Stewart to play David Haller’s dad in a supermarket.

So far, Legion has not made any overt nods to who David’s father is, but the lead’s lineage will be explored when season two arrives. Hawley said heritage is “definitely” something the show wants to nod at moving forward.

"I think we want to address that," he said. "It's normal when you learn you're adopted to want to know who your real family is. He doesn’t yet know the identity, so I think it will be a process to get there."

"There's quite a lot of explaining there, that your dad is Professor X," Stevens added.

Wonder Woman's Said Taghmaoui Playing The Shadow King in Legion Season 2

wonder-woman-sameer-1011301-320x180.jpg

Legion is heading into Season 2 next year, and the highly-celebrated X-Men series on FX has finally been given its big bad villain.

At the Legion panel during San Diego Comic-Con, Noah Hawley and the cast of the show revealed that Saïd Taghmaoui, who portrayed the smooth-talking Sameer in Wonder Woman, will be portraying The Shadow King in Legion Season 2.

Noah Hawley spoke about Season 2, saying Saïd Taghmaoui will be playing the Shadow King's true personality Amahl Farouk in Season 2, sharing Oliver's mind alongside Plaza's Lenny. 

Hawley said that the second season will focus more on other characters' backstories compared to David's. "We’ll get our money’s worth out of every character on this show,” Hawley said. “I do believe the more you shift point of view, the more empathy you build.”