• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel's LEGION TV show by FX
1 1

289 posts in this topic

David Bianculli, the critic who regularly reviews films and television shows for NPR's "Fresh Air" radio and podcast show, called tomorrow night's episode of Legion like being on "some sort of amusement park thrill ride and just holding tight, when the visuals, the sound, and the story are equally exciting and unusual."  And this is a guy who isn't usually a fan of superhero shows.  The full text of his review of the episode along with the key text describing its uniqueness are below.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/16/602837680/latest-episode-of-legion-delivers-a-thrillingly-original-hour-of-tv

I've been watching TV professionally for a long time now. And nothing excites me more than seeing something new - not new as in the premiere of a new series but new as in something unexpected, unpredictable, something I've never really seen before. The extreme version of that - when it feels like I'm on some sort of amusement park thrill ride and just holding tight, when the visuals, the sound and the story are equally exciting and unusual - has happened to me three times now. The first time was in the '80s with the first musical hallucination in Dennis Potter's "The Singing Detective." The second was in 1990 with the third episode of David Lynch's original "Twin Peaks" - the one with the Red Room and the little dancing man. And the third - well, if you watch "Legion" Tuesday night on FX, you'll see the third.

Edited by fantastic_four

4 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

David Bianculli, the critic who regularly reviews films and television shows for NPR's "Fresh Air" radio and podcast show, called tomorrow night's episode of Legion like being on "some sort of amusement park thrill ride and just holding tight, when the visuals, the sound, and the story are equally exciting and unusual."  And this is a guy who isn't usually a fan of superhero shows.  The full text of his review of the episode along with the key text describing its uniqueness are below.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/16/602837680/latest-episode-of-legion-delivers-a-thrillingly-original-hour-of-tv

lol

I was driving home listening to NPR when his review came on the radio. Not only was he raving over Legion, but also the fund drive announcer who is nuts over comic books.

You could just feel their love of the show with the details they went into about various scenes.

Great times!

My hopes are up, because I found the first episode marginal and last week's only a bit better.

Either way it looks like this show is headed for the scrap heap due to ratings.  The last show I absolutely loved that just didn't get the ratings is the subject of my avatar--the NBC series Hannibal.  My avatar is Hugh Dancy playing Will Graham, the same role filled by Edward Norton in the film "Red Dragon" or William Peterson in the equivalent film "Manhunter" and one of my favorite fictional characters ever.  He wasn't my favorite until Dancy played him...the Will Graham from that show is incredibly compelling because of what he's able to do with rampant empathy.  I had ZERO expectations for that show and expected it to suck, but WOW, it's one of the best series on network television from the past decade.  That show is just amazing and I still mourn its passing.  :cry:

Edited by fantastic_four

8 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

My hopes are up, because I found the first episode marginal and last week's only a bit better.

Either way it looks like this show is headed for the scrap heap due to ratings.  The last show I absolutely loved that just didn't get the ratings is the subject of my avatar--the NBC series Hannibal.  My avatar is Hugh Dancy playing Will Graham, the same role filled by Edward Norton in the film "Red Dragon" or William Peterson in the equivalent film "Manhunter" and one of my favorite fictional characters ever.  He wasn't my favorite until Dancy played him...the Will Graham from that show is incredibly compelling because of what he's able to do with rampant empathy.  I had ZERO expectations for that show and expected it to suck, but WOW, it's one of the best series on network television from the past decade.  That show is just amazing and I still mourn its passing.  :cry:

Now, Hannibal, THAT was a good show.   And it actually had a plot that was discernible and worth following, rather than nothing but over-wrought, vacuous visuals that serve no purpose other than to try to convince (or distract) the viewer into believing they are watching something amazing and compelling when there is actually very little to nothing actually going on at all (i.e. Legion).  I too was sad to see Hannibal go, but hey, how about that finale?  They definitely left it all on the field in a manner of speaking.  

-J.  

Edited by Jaydogrules

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I too was sad to see Hannibal go, but hey, how about that finale?

I've still got the last five episodes on my DVR unwatched.  I'm still peeved/heartbroken about the cancellation and haven't watched them yet.  :cry:

21 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I've still got the last five episodes on my DVR unwatched.  I'm still peeved/heartbroken about the cancellation and haven't watched them yet.  :cry:

What lol ?  Watch them.  The finale won't let you down.

-J.

Jon Hamm doing the voice intros has only added to the uniqueness of this show. But it also feels like it is a reminder things may be more straightforward and logical than they appear.

Interesting when Farouk shares his perception of how Charles Xavier came to his land as a white man looking to force his beliefs and values on Farouk's people when Professor X defeated him. Like they say, history is written by the winners - including casting who the villain is in a war. Although in this case it is very clear who the hero and villain is with this situation.

I felt it was a solid episode.

Just finished it.  Definitely unusual, but I can't call it exciting.  The visuals excite me, but I can't connect to the story, plot, or any of the characters.  Everything that happens feels of no consequence because you usually can't tell what's real and what isn't.

I told myself I would give this show a chance.  After 3 episodes I'm officially done with Legion.  It's just too confusing:facepalm: (this is coming from somebody who really enjoyed the comics and the Muir Island saga).

- The teeth chattering is too annoying:frustrated:

- Women with mustaches:sick:

- That minotaur???

- If you go to the bathroom and miss a scene you're screwed:ohnoez:

There were too many scenes where I think the writers just sat down with no other purpose than to have people say "WTF".  I honestly don't know how a show like this can attract new viewers who don't understand Legion's story in the comics.

I absolutely loved season 1, but I’m really struggling with season 2. The visual style is still fantastic but the story just feels very drawn out.

There doesn’t seem to be any stakes involved for any of the characters. Seems like bizarre ideas are just being thrown into the show for the wtf factor and then just forgotten.

I won’t give up on it yet, but it’s detinitely a waiting game hoping it will get better.

I disagree a little.

One of the stakes is David being convinced by Farouk if he finds his body, he'll disappear and never come back again. David's youth allowing him to believe this clearly indicates he is in for hard times ahead.

But then the other challenge David creates for himself is by working with Farouk, the people that supported him are now distrusting his intentions. I see trouble with that later on.

I'll admit, I am a little confused why present day David needs to meet with future-state Syd. That threw me off.

On 2018-04-19 at 1:28 PM, Bosco685 said:

I disagree a little.

One of the stakes is David being convinced by Farouk if he finds his body, he'll disappear and never come back again. David's youth allowing him to believe this clearly indicates he is in for hard times ahead.

But then the other challenge David creates for himself is by working with Farouk, the people that supported him are now distrusting his intentions. I see trouble with that later on.

I'll admit, I am a little confused why present day David needs to meet with future-state Syd. That threw me off.

I guess I misrepresented what I meant. I get the overall story ark of finding the body, and I actually enjoy the mindf&$k of not knowing if he should actually do it or not. 

But I’m more referring to the episode to episode obstacles...Cary’s arm gets stuck hanging out of Kerry’s body...next scene it’s gobe and she sings a song and he’s out of her body. Teeth chattering...David goes in their heads and plays a mini game and they’re ok.

Last season the drama was in the characters...this season it seems to all be manufactured... minus the main plot.

35 minutes ago, quadman78 said:

I guess I misrepresented what I meant. I get the overall story ark of finding the body, and I actually enjoy the mindf&$k of not knowing if he should actually do it or not. 

But I’m more referring to the episode to episode obstacles...Cary’s arm gets stuck hanging out of Kerry’s body...next scene it’s gobe and she sings a song and he’s out of her body. Teeth chattering...David goes in their heads and plays a mini game and they’re ok.

Last season the drama was in the characters...this season it seems to all be manufactured... minus the main plot.

I see what you mean now.

I think in this season David is much more in touch with his powers, though not to the extent of a Farouk. But he is getting there. So being able to assist his friends seems to be coming more natural when compared to his Season One clumsiness.

It definitely is a different show than is commonly presented on TV, with less of a straightforward plot.

This may have been true all along, but the last episode switched back and forth between a boxed version of the events, i.e. a black frame around everything on the top/bottom and both sides, and full-screen video that it occurred to me Hawley is trying to tell us something about the reality they're seeing with the black boxing.  At first I thought the boxing meant we're seeing the Astral Plane, and maybe that's exactly what it means, but I"m not sure of it.  Does anyone feel like they get what the black boxing is trying to communicate about the events we're seeing?

Edited by fantastic_four

So Syd's power is that whoever she touches she trades consciousness with.  So when she touched her mom on the couch, her mom was in Syd's body when she entered the shower with her boyfriend.  So when her mom dropped her robe, why did her sense of touch not realize she wasn't wearing a robe but instead Syd's shirt and pants?  ???

I've analyzed this multiple times from every angle I can think of.  Did I overlook something?  I sure hope I did, because if Hawley can't keep the show straight, then I can't keep his reality warps straight, either.  :mad:

Anyway, this was my favorite episode of the season.  Syd showing David that she has frequently used her power for bad yet vaguely justifiable reasons was compelling.

Edited by fantastic_four

23 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

So Syd's power is that whoever she touches she trades consciousness with.  So when she touched her mom on the couch, her mom was in Syd's body when she entered the shower with her boyfriend.  So when her mom dropped her robe, why did her sense of touch not realize she wasn't wearing a robe but instead Syd's shirt and pants?  ???

I've analyzed this multiple times from every angle I can think of.  Did I overlook something?  I sure hope I did, because if Hawley can't keep the show straight, then I can't keep his reality warps straight, either.  :mad:

Anyway, this was my favorite episode of the season.  Syd showing David that she has frequently used her power for bad yet vaguely justifiable reasons was compelling.

I think it has to do with Syd's abilities to switch bodies.

1) Syd touches her mother and transitions into her image, while Syd's body becomes her mom and drops to the couch.

2) Syd goes to shower with mom's boyfriend as her mother, who then wakes up and breaks the transfer.

3) Mom finds Syd in the shower with her boyfriend now.

On 4/26/2018 at 7:10 PM, fantastic_four said:

This may have been true all along, but the last episode switched back and forth between a boxed version of the events, i.e. a black frame around everything on the top/bottom and both sides, and full-screen video that it occurred to me Hawley is trying to tell us something about the reality they're seeing with the black boxing.  At first I thought the boxing meant we're seeing the Astral Plane, and maybe that's exactly what it means, but I"m not sure of it.  Does anyone feel like they get what the black boxing is trying to communicate about the events we're seeing?

This storytelling device has been around since the first episode. We first see it when David is on the phone trying to find out where Syd is, and Ptonomy and Kerry are chasing him. It switches from fullscreen to letterbox while he's on the phone, and switches back once he's been captured. In between, Syd shows up and explains she's not real, she's inserted herself into his memories.

In my understanding, Hawley is letting us know when we switch from what I'd call 'the show's observable reality' to 'a character's internal thoughts/memories', which may or may not reflect the actual reality. It becomes a little tricky in the Syd-centric episode, because we're not in reality, we're in the Astral Plane, but the letterboxing lets us know when we're watching David or Syd's internal monologue. It's letterboxed when Syd's climbing out of the igloo, and it switches back when she's born. It's letterboxed while David finds his way through the snowstorm to the igloo, and switches back when you see he's entered the museum.

Here's a cool thing you may or may not have noticed. Watch the museum scenes-- Syd's pants are overlong, and David's are too short. They aren't on the same wavelength-- David does not understand Syd's actions, and it's visualized by the mismatched pants length. Once Syd explains what she wants and David finally understands, their pants lengths return to being equal.