• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Creeps: In the Warren tradition w/many original Warren artists and writers
2 2

110 posts in this topic

They have some Frazetta covers so it is OK in my book.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I've NEVER seen that Frazetta cover on issue #6.

Back in 1961-62 ACE publishing began randomly reprinting ERB's stories (Tarzan, John Carter of Mars, The Moon Maid/Moon Men/Red Hawk, Carson of Venus, Pellucidar, etc.

Their expanded version of The Moon Men/Red Hawk had these same three Characters on the cover but NOT drawn by Frazetta. The Cover was by Ed Emsh and the Title page by Roy Krenkel Jr. Krenkel and Frazetta would do most of the Artwork for the entire 37 novel run and were my introduction to fantasy artwork.

This particular book was my very first purchase of the run that I acquired at Sid's Luncheonette from '61 to '65 or so and hooked me for life. I have all 37 books, and I have to get a copy of this book and any others with Frazetta's work....

I'll scan Krenkel's original cover tomorrow .

Picked up a copy last night, have to say it's really well done and it felt like I was reading one of the issues from the old Creepy and Eerie run.

Nice touch with the letters section too (thumbs u

The Frazetta cover is icing on the cake for sure :cloud9:

I've been collecting for a while now. There are many cool modern homages to Warren out. Most escape me at the moment but you'll also like Bloke's Terrible Tomb Of Terror. In my bookmarks I have many horror mags I plan on picking up when I get around to it

I've picked up all the issues so far but I'm unsure for how much longer I'll be doing so. I like the design of the magazine, but the contents are at best mediocre. Creepy and Eerie started out Gangbusters in their day and maintained a level of quality for awhile. This endeavor has some good bits but nothing that's really making me look forward to the next issue like Warren used to. Could be my age and that too much 'edgy' material has appeared between then and now that has turned me into a jaded old fart when it comes to this kind of thing, but it's not really a magazine I feel I need to complete, so to speak. Like you I was pretty disappointed with the single page of Corben.....

I just saw a copy at Barnes and Nobles. I'm wondering how it fares compared to Blokes Terrible Tomb Of Terror. Looked like Bloke's picked up most of the Ghastly awards they competed against.

Anyone else have feedback? I want to pick up one or the other set.

Really getting into the magazines archives lately (Eerie, Creepy, and Vampirella).. but they do cost an arm and a leg to collect. Picked up the Creepy Corben edition recently, and seeing these as an adult is really refreshing as I never really got into magazines. I felt that some of the Corben was really great, but others were hard to even digest... lots of hit or miss, IMO.

I also found it pretty cool to see Wrightson's Creepy story, "Jenifer," was the source material for one of the Masters of Terror episodes.

Edited by bronze_rules