• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man 361 Print Run

329 posts in this topic

The "Whoops!" was directed at Wizard for incompetently printing two write-ups on ASM #361.

They also had SEVEN write-ups on Valiant books in their "Picks From The Hat" section, RMA. (For those that were not big Valiant fans, Valiant published six books that month.)

Thanks for clarifying, and my apologies for taking your "Whoops!" as snark directed at me.

You can see where I would come to that conclusion, I suspect...

;)

i wasn't trying to take a guess at second printings, just the difference between 360 and 361

i assume those cap city numbers you give don't include the second print?

Correct.

I truly have no idea; those second printing numbers have been very hush hush since the beginning.

The "Whoops!" was directed at Wizard for incompetently printing two write-ups on ASM #361.

hm

I don't know if that was incompetence. It may have been done on purpose. I don't have the issues handy, but I suspect you'll find that sort of "dual write-up" about several books, in several issues.

Wizard was a very big cause, and effect, for Valiant's early popularity/

Going back to the comments about ASM #300, I definitely agree with RMA that the "big draw" of the book was McFarlane art.

Venom did have something to do with it, but not any more than the book being the anniversary issue and, don't forget, the return of the red costume.

I was a little late to the McSpidey ASM run and started at 315 off the spinner. I had to buy the previous issues thru the back issue market. Luckily, I bought them just before McFarlane prices really exploded into the stratosphere.

At the time, 298 was the most expensive to buy as reflected in the ads and also in the prices guides: CVM (I think it was) and OSPG Quarterly updates.

I bought the earlier issues first (I think 298 cost me $5 and 299 & 300 both were $4). Some of the other issues I had to buy after I bought those 3 and they were all $3-4.50 or so. It was right after I had them all that the McFarlane books were all $20+ in the prices guides almost overnight.

It's been so long, and I'm going by memory, but at the height, I think I remember prices at/near $60-70 for 298, and 299/300 both at $50-60. Something like that.

McFarlane art was the definite driver of the values over anything else. People were treating 1st art on title (of many artists) the way people treat character 1st apps now.

Going back to the comments about ASM #300, I definitely agree with RMA that the "big draw" of the book was McFarlane art.

Venom did have something to do with it, but not any more than the book being the anniversary issue and, don't forget, the return of the red costume.

I was a little late to the McSpidey ASM run and started at 315 off the spinner. I had to buy the previous issues thru the back issue market. Luckily, I bought them just before McFarlane prices really exploded into the stratosphere.

At the time, 298 was the most expensive to buy as reflected in the ads and also in the prices guides: CVM (I think it was) and OSPG Quarterly updates.

I bought the earlier issues first (I think 298 cost me $5 and 299 & 300 both were $4). Some of the other issues I had to buy after I bought those 3 and they were all $3-4.50 or so. It was right after I had them all that the McFarlane books were all $20+ in the prices guides almost overnight.

It's been so long, and I'm going by memory, but at the height, I think I remember prices at/near $60-70 for 298, and 299/300 both at $50-60. Something like that.

McFarlane art was the definite driver of the values over anything else. People were treating 1st art on title (of many artists) the way people treat character 1st apps now.

I remember buying #298 off the rack, and my first thought was that the webs Spidey was shooting looked incredibly stupid. I still hate McFarlane's webbing.

I remember a $100 price tag on ASM 300 at whatever point venom and McFarlane were at an apex a bit later, but maybe my ship was being delusional, although he usually tried to be realistic with pricing

I remember buying #298 off the rack, and my first thought was that the webs Spidey was shooting looked incredibly stupid. I still hate McFarlane's webbing.

It really is quite amazing...no pun intended...my first issue I *think* was #329....and I *believe* #330 and #331 were on the shelf at that point. I remember exactly where it was, too, in the Land of Nevawuz in Danville, CA.

#332 was the first issue...I think...that I bought brand new.

Actually, now that I think of it, it may have been #334. It was certainly #334...but may have been #332 or #333...can't remember fo sho.

Anyhoo, back the previous summer, the McAmazings would have all been on the rack....this was probably about issue #320 or so....but I wouldn't have seen them, because I was all about that Bats, bout that Bats, no Spidey....

...er, I mean, yes, Batman.

So, I missed McAmazing when it came out....but hey, I was right on cue for McSpidey!

And yes, the era of the hot artist is over. I have so many copies of "hot artist" books.

So sad.