• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Future of Archie -- what do you foresee?

41 posts in this topic

Definitely not what I am seeing as evident by the record breaking prices being paid for the early Archie books. Appears to be strong collector interest with big dollars also being paid for new keys and semi-keys as they are being identified. :takeit:

A few rich people beating each other up with auction paddles is not a huge amount of interest. Again, for the most part, nobody cares.

I think Archie still has some viability. My 11 year old daughter has been reading the Archie universe books for around 3 years. I could see her slowly growing into a collector.

Also, anyone not reading the Waid Archie book is really missing out. It has been pretty solid. It is also a great Tween book.

If they make a modern TV/film adaptation, I'd bet we'd see more people finding some interest.

I foresee many more posts like: "If there is a successful (insert TV show, Movie, cartoon, multi-media release, etc) I can really see Archie taking off."

Of course you can then take the word "Archie" and insert almost any other comic ever released and at lease someone on the boards would provide speculative input.

:shrug:

My honest opinion: people have corrected me successfully that Archie is far from dead. However, no one has provided a compelling argument that today's readers will turn into huge value collectors. Truth be told, this is the same risk that all comics face someday: will today's youth want to spend thousands on comics with the origin of their favorite childhood characters (even though they really aren't the same "version" and in an unfamiliar format). Truth be told, I am concerned long-term. Archie is perhaps a good indicator of the future of comic collecting as (for the most part) serious collectors are 55+ and therefore he will be subject to "the test" earlier than the his superhero contemporaries.

(Others have posted similar statements, but in true boardie is fashion I posted anyway. lol )

I think a movie or good TV show would spark the interest in Archie. They have real good PR people when something exciting happens in the Archie world. But without something they will go the way of the dinosaurs I am afraid. Take MAD magazine, does anyone other than me still read it? It was the mainstay of my childhood.

Now, the early MLJ comics still have some staying power boosted by the outstanding superhero covers. I still think they have legs to move.

Vintage Peps and Archies were among the biggest gainers on the Overstreet charts this past year. But, in contrast to superheroes, Archie doesn't seem to have branched out much (if at all) from the comic book medium.

Will future collectors care enough/be knowledgeable enough to sustain prices? I remember and miss the days when there were Archie sections in supermarkets, sigh.

Regarding the "branching out", the do have a tv series in the works presently. I'm sure future collectors will care, it's more a matter of new collectors taking an interest in Archie, and for better or worse, Archie doesn't attract the speculator crowds that seem to help to draw attention to back issues.

Seems like they are branching out pretty well with their updated versions of Archie related books that have all started out from issue #1 again, with all of their variant covers to boot. Not sure if they are keeping the old ones going at the same time though.

As for the speculation crowd, have you not been keeping up-to-date with their Afterlife series of Archie books?

Archie is probably more prevalent now than at any other time in their history, especially in terms of their presence in the comic shops. (thumbs u

When I mentioned speculators and back issues I wasn't really thinking in terms of a 1-2 year old comic being sought for its Pepoy (or whoever) variant cover, but rather a fan wanting an early appearance of Ambrose, Jellybean's birth, or the individual issues of the Love Showdown storyline. I realize collectors come in many forms and with all manner of interests, but I'm thinking the long term health of the brand, developing a fan base, and growing a secondary market for Archie's as collectibles would require people to have a greater interest in the characters and stories beyond just a liking for a cover.

And yes, I do realize many of the more desired Archies from decades past are due to the cover art, but is a new generation going to have the same affinity for collecting Staples and Pepoy as others did DeCarlo and Lucey(who were regularly drawing interiors as well)?

I have a whole classroom of students (9-10 yo) who enjoy reading the digests. They are accessible to a lot of people. With graphic novels being so prevalent these days (scholastic book fairs), and the lack of finding the Archie digest at the check out. A lot of of a child's first impression of comics are not Archie anymore, which I think is great for comics, just not necessarily for Archie.

Definitely not what I am seeing as evident by the record breaking prices being paid for the early Archie books. Appears to be strong collector interest with big dollars also being paid for new keys and semi-keys as they are being identified. :takeit:

A few rich people beating each other up with auction paddles is not a huge amount of interest. Again, for the most part, nobody cares.

Sounds as though you are out of touch with Archie in terms of the current marketplace.

I was just in one of my LCS's today and the owner stated that that he has never seen the Archie books as hot as they are today. Completely sold out of the latest Archie books, including all of the variant covers and reprints.

For example, the regular edition of the first issue of the new Archie series was going for $30 according to him. In addition, he had no problems selling scads of the variant editions of which there were apparently more than 20 different variant covers. Issue #2 also sold out upon receipt with big demand for reprints.

So, now we've got rich people beating each other up for the early Archie books and key appearances. We also have the speculators out there in force scooping up all of the recent Archie books. And finally, we have the Archie digests being sold at the supermarkets and other non-comic related stores to young and interested readers of the Archie books. Not a bad combination at all, even without a movie or TV show.

Sounds as though somebody cares as there is a lot of diverse interest in the Archie books right now and their future might not be as dim as you perceive it to be. :gossip:

The thing that's a bit tricky about bringing Archie into another medium is that there's really nothing unique enough about the property to really sustain / support such a movement.

And before Archie fans jump all over that comment let me explain why it's a compliment rather than a criticism (from someone who always enjoyed the Riverdale gang just fine) :

Over the last 30 years, movie and sitcom writers - who grew up on Archie comics - have long mined the stories and character types and brought them to the screen. Everything from "Saved By the Bell" to "Friends" has little pieces of Archie DNA in it.

So yes, seeing the actual Archie himself show up would be a hoot, but we've seen shows with Archies, with Reggies, with Jugheads, etc. Other than nostalgic it wouldn't be new or different enough to necessarily gain a place in the market unless it was the absolute best version of the types we'd ever seen. That's a high wire act that many/most studios won't want to risk.

Trying this Riverdale show (which may or may not have Archie) is a way to use some of the cache of the nostalgia without having to fight that battle. So maybe that's the way. But that's NOT likely to be the immersive cross-media explosion we've seen from superhero movies.... Which DO bring something unique (at least visually) with them to the table each time (so sayeth the money people, anyway)

I see Archie the same as Johnny Quest or Richie Rich or the like. Very big for their time but not relevant today. If the new Archie series can catch on, by way of other media as others have mentioned (TV/film) then there's hope. Failing that, however, I see it as a title that will fade away.

Archie has been getting a lot of mainstream press interest over Kevin Keller, Afterlife with Archie and Life with Archie. They are also producing very good comics!

I hadn't read a new Archie issue in probably 30 years until Afterlife with Archie came out. I have now also read (and enjoyed!) Archie vs. Sharknado, Archie vs. Predator and Life with Archie--the Married Life. The reboot of the Archie title itself is too new for me to comment on other than to say so far so good.

It will be interesting to see how Archie fares in other media...

As to sustainability of prices, it doesn't take a whole lot of collectors given the paucity of the early issues in any grade and the later issues in high grade, to keep prices up. I also think there are more collectors getting into Archie than ever before. I am always pleasantly surprised when someone who I wouldn't have guessed would be interested in Archie buys an Archie book in one of my sales threads :)

Steve,

Did you really just drop the word "paucity" on us?

i think archies are actually semi-popular among the 8-12 year old crowd. my son loves them and i have a request from a co-worker to be on the lookout for any cheap digests i may come across in comic shops (although you can actually buy a box of them directly from archie comics, i guess their digest leftovers, really cheap too). yes, it's a niche thing, but i wonder if we here really have a good sense of how many of these get sold at supermarkets (update: yes, we do, see below, they are not insignificant) and tend to pooh pooh them because we don't see much action at comic shops (although the new series has a following). does archie say?

Archie has been getting a lot of mainstream press interest over Kevin Keller, Afterlife with Archie and Life with Archie. They are also producing very good comics!

I hadn't read a new Archie issue in probably 30 years until Afterlife with Archie came out. I have now also read (and enjoyed!) Archie vs. Sharknado, Archie vs. Predator and Life with Archie--the Married Life. The reboot of the Archie title itself is too new for me to comment on other than to say so far so good.

It will be interesting to see how Archie fares in other media...

As to sustainability of prices, it doesn't take a whole lot of collectors given the paucity of the early issues in any grade and the later issues in high grade, to keep prices up. I also think there are more collectors getting into Archie than ever before. I am always pleasantly surprised when someone who I wouldn't have guessed would be interested in Archie buys an Archie book in one of my sales threads :)

Steve,

Did you really just drop the word "paucity" on us?

:acclaim:

I see Archie the same as Johnny Quest or Richie Rich or the like. Very big for their time but not relevant today. If the new Archie series can catch on, by way of other media as others have mentioned (TV/film) then there's hope. Failing that, however, I see it as a title that will fade away.

except the various "events" did pretty well like the archie marries veronica, and then the gay guy, and then the afterlife books. yes, 45 year old comic collectors don't care, but some others may.

the sales are not with the comics so much (they need an "event" to do more than mediocre numbers), but the digests (of which they were publishing 11 a few years ago at least), which sell 25-45,000 copies a month, so about as much as a fairly popular marvel or DC title nowadays

the problem is there are a ton of returns on these from the newsstands, so i don't know how much profit they are making. this might be why you can buy a box of digests so cheap directly from the archie comics website.

with that said, the numbers were much higher 6-7 years ago on the digests and comics when Archie seemed far more irrelevant and less in the news. in 2008 some of the digests had 100K paid circulation and many were in the 70s and 80s. so, basically, archie's top 10 digest titles rivaled marvel's for monthly sales and may have surpassed them.

it could be that there are fewer newsstand venues selling digests (or comics). Borders existed in 2008. it does not now. Barnes & Noble has scaled back. I don't know what other changes there may have been.

Archie reassigns into a woman.

Veronica reassigns into a man.

They marry.

A Jew, a Muslim, a Christian and a Hindu walk into Pop Tate's.

The crosshatches on Archie's hair are replaced by stipple.

Betty gets breast enhancement surgery.

Big Moose becomes a Falun Gong.

Jughead goes Vegan.

Star Trek/ Archie crossover with Kirk falling in love with Miss Grundy.

Mr. Weatherbee drops a few pounds.

Digests and the "best of" collection books seem to do well for the company. Their Red Circle line is fantastic too. I think it'll stay mostly the same. It'll attract kids and young readers, and I don't see them going anywhere for a while.

except the various "events" did pretty well like the archie marries veronica, and then the gay guy, and then the afterlife books. yes, 45 year old comic collectors don't care, but some others may.

the sales are not with the comics so much (they need an "event" to do more than mediocre numbers), but the digests (of which they were publishing 11 a few years ago at least), which sell 25-45,000 copies a month, so about as much as a fairly popular marvel or DC title nowadays

the problem is there are a ton of returns on these from the newsstands, so i don't know how much profit they are making. this might be why you can buy a box of digests so cheap directly from the archie comics website.

with that said, the numbers were much higher 6-7 years ago on the digests and comics when Archie seemed far more irrelevant and less in the news. in 2008 some of the digests had 100K paid circulation and many were in the 70s and 80s. so, basically, archie's top 10 digest titles rivaled marvel's for monthly sales and may have surpassed them.

it could be that there are fewer newsstand venues selling digests (or comics). Borders existed in 2008. it does not now. Barnes & Noble has scaled back. I don't know what other changes there may have been.

I had no idea they sold so many. That just shows there is a market for everything.

In the end I hope Archie succeeds, to be a continuing Americana niche comic. Just not my thing.

If Archie hasn't faded away yet after 70+ years, there is no way it is going to fade away anytime soon. Especially when most people are saying that Archie is more popular right now than at any other time in its 70+ years of history.

As I have already stated before, you've got the following factors at play right now:

1) Big dollars chasing after the early Archie books and newly discovered keys with no apparent letup in sight;

2) Retail sellouts for the new Archie series and Afterlife with Archie books with high speculative interest in the back issues and first prints; and

3) A younger generation still buying and still reading the Archie digests which are available not only in LCS's, but also in supermarkets, drugstores, etc.

And for those who feel that comics cannot survive without either TV or movie exposure, don't forget about the Riverdale TV series which is now being geared up to be televised on the younger generation CW network. And the show is also being produced by the same team that is producing the current Arrow, Flash, DC Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and Blindspot TV shows. They should know something about doing television shows based upon their resume.

My bet is that Archie and his gang will still be alive and well 20 years from now. Not sure I can say the same thing about all of these movie related comic books such as Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad, etc. which are super hot right now with all of their movie hype, but which could also turn out only to be short-term flash in the pans. hm

If Archie hasn't faded away yet after 70+ years, there is no way it is going to fade away anytime soon. Especially when most people are saying that Archie is more popular right now than at any other time in its 70+ years of history.

As I have already stated before, you've got the following factors at play right now:

1) Big dollars chasing after the early Archie books and newly discovered keys with no apparent letup in sight;

2) Retail sellouts for the new Archie series and Afterlife with Archie books with high speculative interest in the back issues and first prints; and

3) A younger generation still buying and still reading the Archie digests which are available not only in LCS's, but also in supermarkets, drugstores, etc.

And for those who feel that comics cannot survive without either TV or movie exposure, don't forget about the Riverdale TV series which is now being geared up to be televised on the younger generation CW network. And the show is also being produced by the same team that is producing the current Arrow, Flash, DC Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and Blindspot TV shows. They should know something about doing television shows based upon their resume.

My bet is that Archie and his gang will still be alive and well 20 years from now. Not sure I can say the same thing about all of these movie related comic books such as Deadpool, Guardians of the Galaxy, Suicide Squad, etc. which are super hot right now with all of their movie hype, but which could also turn out only to be short-term flash in the pans. hm

I wouldn't say that "Archie is more popular right now than at any other time in its 70+ years of history.".... Archie publication numbers, at least for what is through Diamond, were at a serious all time low....down to about 9000 copies a month in 2014....

The new Archie #1 hit an amazing 100,000 copies (helped along by a huge number of variant covers), but quickly dropped to 30,000 by the 2nd issue and 27,000 by the third - extremely mediocre numbers by comparison to the Big Two, but still the highest selling the main Archie title has been in a long time...

Still pale in comparison to the 50's when it sold over a million copies a month to the 60's and 70's when it still regularly did over 400,000 copies a month.

But hopefully, this new look will bring in some new readers and it can build on that!