• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA you're tired of seeing on ebay.

114 posts in this topic

All the Golden Age DVDs me off.

22255983849_14f3f71322_b.jpg

Oh man. I HATE those damn DVD listings. I try to filter them all out along with Westerns, Dells, and the dozen or so dealers that I will never buy from. eBay actually has a pretty decent search system that allows me to strip out a lot of the junk.

I get fed up with "Facsimile" copied covers getting my hopes up. They shouldn't be allowed in the GA category imo.

22429392932_78e278e121_b.jpg

I totally agree. I don't want to be the "bad guy" and rip on whoever is selling these, but it's obnoxious to post that stuff in an area where people go to buy actual original vintage comics.

I get fed up with "Facsimile" copied covers getting my hopes up. They shouldn't be allowed in the GA category imo.

I totally agree. I don't want to be the "bad guy" and rip on whoever is selling these, but it's obnoxious to post that stuff in an area where people go to buy actual original vintage comics.

This is freakin hilarious because I could not agree more and am so annoyed by these things. I cant check the bay as much as I would like and the stuff I hunt for are more of the esoteric kind. Hence I have alerts set up when something pops up as I know the supply is definitely not equivalent to the demand and if you dont catch it quick it will get gobbled up quickly. These DVDs pop up ALL the time on my alerts and I havent the slightest clue how to block them :pullhair:

BTW if that were a real vintage Master Comic 21 I would definitely bid on it...great book ;)

This is freakin hilarious because I could not agree more and am so annoyed by these things. I cant check the bay as much as I would like and the stuff I hunt for are more of the esoteric kind. Hence I have alerts set up when something pops up as I know the supply is definitely not equivalent to the demand and if you dont catch it quick it will get gobbled up quickly. These DVDs pop up ALL the time on my alerts and I havent the slightest clue how to block them :pullhair:

BTW if that were a real vintage Master Comic 21 I would definitely bid on it...great book ;)

In your eBay searches, use the minus sign to remove the "spoon" from your searches. For example, Phantom Lady -dvd would search for Phantom Lady, but remove any item with dvd in the title. I just noticed somebody listed Phantom Lady with the word "DVDs" I believe that the asterisk * is a wildcard.

You guys can modify your eBay searches to remove anything you don't want to see.

Just put a minus (hyphen) in front of a word you don't want.

Fawcett Comics -DVD

USA #7 -Ramjet

Silver Streak -Facsimile -Reprint -Xerox

(thumbs u

You guys can modify your eBay searches to remove anything you don't want to see. Just put a minus (hyphen) in front of a word you don't want.

This is true. The use of minus signs (or plus signs to limit searches to only two or more text strings, among a few other search refinements) is technically called a "boolean."

The problem with this solution is it only applies to known annoyances. Every time a new permutation comes along, you have to go back to ALL OF YOUR REFINED SEARCHES (which could be dozens or HUNDREDS) and update or replace them.

So let's say I'm already searching for "phantom lady" -"dvd" -"facismile" to weed out all the titles with "dvd" and "facsmile" in them.

Then some guy comes along and starts to sell "Phantom Lady Exact Duplicate Copy" as his title. Now I have to go back to my search and add -duplicate to my search.

Then somebody comes along and he's selling "complete phantom lady archives on flashdrive!". Now I have to go modify my search to add -flashdrive.

Then somebody comes along and their title terms are "CD," or "USB," or "thumb drive," or "portable hard drive," or "glossy reproduction," or "cigarette case," or "magnet," or "pinback," or "lithograph," or "poster," or "framed wallhanging," or "lunchbox," or "t-shirt," or "hardcover archive book," or "canvas print," or whatever.

Now I have to go modify all my searches to remove all that stuff.

What a pain in the bum.

I don't mind if somebody wants to sell a 1956 comic in a section that ends at 1955 because the title runs through that year and they know it's interesting to golden-age fans. I don't mind if somebody wants to sell a few old Mad magazines from 1956-57 because they're full of Wally Wood art, etc. Or they're auctioning a run of Planet comics and they have a couple Planet pulps and they throw them in there too because they thinking comics people might have a go at them. That's just fudging it a little.

But the DVDs stuff.... Or the reproduction comics... Bad news.

Plus, the people who are making exact duplicate reproductions of golden-age comics without any label or alteration to the covers are basically assisting future scammers.

About 75% of all the endlessly relisted GA books.

..... how about the 45% of all books listed in the GA section that aren't even Golden Age ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

About 75% of all the endlessly relisted GA books.

..... how about the 45% of all books listed in the GA section that aren't even Golden Age ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

A lot aren't even comic books!