• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA you're tired of seeing on ebay.

114 posts in this topic

Tired of seeing overpriced "Pop Hollinger Rebuilt Comics" sold as if they are a pedigree restoration. :facepalm:

Does that c ra p ever actually get sold? Yeah I agree, and skip right over them.

It often seems that Pop Hollinger rebuilt comics that didn't need to be rebuilt. He just liked trimming and taping stuff.

This incredibly over priced comic. So very tired of seeing it

I need to adjust my search for Funnies on Parade to eliminate "Wanamakers"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WANAMAKERS-TOY-WORLD-FUNNIES-1933-FUNNIES-ON-PARADE-FR-G-/231744009299?

Agreed. It's a great book that I would love to have, but not at a DTA price.

Yeah, but man they had the stuff. They would almost daily have collections of GA and SA walk into the store. They had 5 foot tall stacks in the back room un-bagged and un-sorted. I remember a 3 foot stack of nice Timelys back there once. Terry told me they walked in a few weeks earlier and they paid something like $2-$3. each for. Now, they didn't extend their good fortune over to us usually but if you were looking for something they probably had it.

They termed the phrases "Good Girl Art", "Injury to the Eye" and others and pimped out the outrageous horror books and bondage covers for a stiff price. I got my Mister Mystery #12 from them.

They threw some pretty outstanding parties too. The "bad boys" of comic dealing.

I'm not saying it wasn't a wonderland of books...I just never bought anything else from them. I liked going to Cherokee and Bond Street (I was banned from Collector's Books). I did go to see their warehouse once...a whole house full of comics and pulps...

And, I collect Esoteric because they coined the term and showed examples...why do you think I have the "Fish in the Face", "Muggsy Mouse" and "Elsie the Cow" books? I draw the line with "Muggy Doo, Boy Cat" tho...no need... lol

But, the real reason I didn't buy stuff from them was because I was sorta out of the collecting mode by the time they showed up. I was buying Amazing Spiderman...and that was about it...for a long time...I was one of those "On again, off again..." collectors.

Yes, I bought my Dennis the Menace #1 from Terry...those were the days, when a comic with a chip missing from the upper left cover could be called "Mint"...

2lkea76.jpg

That's why they also had the category "strict Mint" lol

I just learned that the most important creator in the history of the Golden Age is...

Kari A. Therrian

Just look at all the comics she authored!

Kari A. Therrian on Amazon

Then other people on eBay / affiliates link to her Amazon product and bump up the price for their cut.

Kari Therrian on eBay

Seriously, I'm guessing she just downloaded a bunch of files from the Digital Comics Museum and then uploaded them to Amazon's Create Space / Print on Demand program.

No problem with people packaging public domain material, but to list oneself as AUTHOR is disingenuous.

And it will continue to confuse, as standard listings for some old comics will be pulled from her "catalog", like this eBay listing for an original comic that has her as author:

Dell Three Stooges comic on eBay

Get that gar-bage outa the real GA section!

Here are the first 3 items that came up when I did a search on eBay just now:

-- Catman Comics #5 Photocopy Comic Book

-- Detective Comics #27 May 1939 Batman Coffee Cup Mug

-- Phantom Lady #16 Photocopy Comic Book

All of them listed in Collectibles / Comics / Golden Age / Superhero -- even though eBay's GA section has a "Reprints" sub-category.

What a bunch of dillweeds. Please do not buy from these bottom-feeders.

159250.jpg.7520674776afeeec9c1486ad49f933eb.jpg