• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GA you're tired of seeing on ebay.

114 posts in this topic

You would think when you are asking five figures for a book, the description should be more than a boilerplate grading guide entry for "mid grade" books.

You would think when you are asking five figures for a book, the description should be more than a boilerplate grading guide entry for "mid grade" books.

FYI, as it says at the very top of that item listing:

This item is a consignment, which means that the price has been set by the consignor rather than by MyComicShop.

That's not our price, that was set by the consignor, and I agree it's very high. We're usually pretty hands-off with letting consignors set their own prices, but this was high enough I called and discussed it with the consignor to let him know we thought it was too high. He said he'd take a look at it and bring it down some. Usually if a book gets much up above $1000 we'd require it be slabbed to be consigned. As I would price it, this book is at the top end of what we'd allow to be consigned raw.

As for the description and grading boilerplate. I added the "If you're not familiar with comic grading" section to our listings a few months ago. The purpose of that text is to summarize the grade for people who, as the text says, aren't familiar with comic grading. It helps us avoid returns, negative feedback, and complaints from buyers who see something graded FAIR, GOOD, VERY GOOD, etc and think the item should be in better shape than what that grade actually means. Language that is amusing or obvious to you guys is helpful to people who don't know as much. However, I agree that for an expensive book like this with a large scan, the language isn't a good fit.

If there were anything particularly unusual worth noting about the grade, or not visible from the scan, we would write it in our own item notes. Otherwise, we do not attempt to document flaws that are clearly visible in the scan and are acceptable for the assigned grade. It's a VF, and it should come back from CGC at least an 8.0, if not higher.

FYI, as it says at the very top of that item listing:

This item is a consignment, which means that the price has been set by the consignor rather than by MyComicShop.

That's not our price, that was set by the consignor, and I agree it's very high. We're usually pretty hands-off with letting consignors set their own prices, but this was high enough I called and discussed it with the consignor to let him know we thought it was too high. He said he'd take a look at it and bring it down some. Usually if a book gets much up above $1000 we'd require it be slabbed to be consigned. As I would price it, this book is at the top end of what we'd allow to be consigned raw.

As for the description and grading boilerplate. I added the "If you're not familiar with comic grading" section to our listings a few months ago. The purpose of that text is to summarize the grade for people who, as the text says, aren't familiar with comic grading. It helps us avoid returns, negative feedback, and complaints from buyers who see something graded FAIR, GOOD, VERY GOOD, etc and think the item should be in better shape than what that grade actually means. Language that is amusing or obvious to you guys is helpful to people who don't know as much. However, I agree that for an expensive book like this with a large scan, the language isn't a good fit.

If there were anything particularly unusual worth noting about the grade, or not visible from the scan, we would write it in our own item notes. Otherwise, we do not attempt to document flaws that are clearly visible in the scan and are acceptable for the assigned grade. It's a VF, and it should come back from CGC at least an 8.0, if not higher.

That's fine. I wasn't questioning the price -- although it does seem high. I was just a little surprised that there was nothing in the listing describing this particular book. Not everything will be visible from a scan. That struck me as unusual for a raw book listed for a high price.

But you guys sell a ton of books, so you probably don't need my advice.

I am surprised My Comic Shop even bothered to respond.

I have emailed them a number of times, in the past, regarding different issues and they did not respond.

Although I have purchased from them numerous times in the past, I am not happy with their "customer service".

Glad to see they at least responded to this post.

That's fine. I wasn't questioning the price -- although it does seem high. I was just a little surprised that there was nothing in the listing describing this particular book. Not everything will be visible from a scan. That struck me as unusual for a raw book listed for a high price.

But you guys sell a ton of books, so you probably don't need my advice.

Regardless of what we sell, we're always glad for feedback and advice from collectors like you. :)

I have emailed them a number of times, in the past, regarding different issues and they did not respond.

Although I have purchased from them numerous times in the past, I am not happy with their "customer service".

I'm sorry to hear that. We updated our email system a couple months ago, and messages should be responded to more reliably and quickly than in the past. You're welcome to PM me if you have any further issues.

I found one seller selling photocopies made from reprints. Which in essence is a reprint of a reprint. Cant get much more watered down than that.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wally-Wood-SPACE-DETECTIVE-1-1951-Full-color-reprint-/370249549040?hash=item563497c4f0:g:tYEAAMXQwKdRcwvS

That last copy they have available is collecting a lot of dust.

Previous sales:

May-20-13

Jul-17-12

Dec-28-11

Jun-15-11

I'm sorry to hear that. We updated our email system a couple months ago, and messages should be responded to more reliably and quickly than in the past. You're welcome to PM me if you have any further issues.

For what it's worth, I've bought from MyComicShop many times. I've had nothing but excellent customer service and positive experiences. If you asked me to come up with dealers I could recommend without reservation, Superworld and MyComicShop would be the first ones that come to mind.

For what it's worth, I've bought from MyComicShop many times. I've had nothing but excellent customer service and positive experiences. If you asked me to come up with dealers I could recommend without reservation, Superworld and MyComicShop would be the first ones that come to mind.

SOTI,

I have to agree with you on your recommendation of Superworld. I have bought from Ted a number of times and have never been disappointed. If anything, I think he sometimes grades his books tougher than I would (and he is the ONLY dealer I know who does that). It is a real pleasure when you get a book in the mail and say, "Wow, this book looks better than I expected, given the grade the dealer assigned" Kudos to Ted and Superworld. I would give him 2 thumbs up EVERY day. Also, whenever, I have contacted Ted about ANYTHING, he responds quick as the Flash.

I wish My Comic Shop would even respond to my emails. (Although I did get a PM from Conan from My Comic Shop, after my last post and he was very polite). Unfortunately, I had another problem with them two days ago.

On another note, great looking books at the bottom of your post.