• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is Frank Miller's Appeal by DavidTheDavid

3 posts in this topic

Flashbacks from a 43-year-old American male.

When Daredevil 181 hit the stands in 1982, I was just ten years old. At that time, I was still plucking random comics off the spinner at Reeves Sain Drug Store.

It'd be a couple of years before I discovered Miller's run on Daredevil. That meant that I was at the sweet age of 12 and 13, reading backwards into Daredevil.

Keep in mind that a rash of ninja movies hit the silver screen in the 80s, especially in the early 80s. Hollywood would hit paydirt with the karate kid, an american, homogenized, teen-age refinement of the asian action flick. As a note, Jackie Chain released Dragon Lord in 1982.

Myself, I bought throwing stars and knives from the nearest mall.Travis, Eric, and I would hurl them at plywood boards. Plus, I was approaching thirteen. Hormones and crushes were around the bend.

So I was primed and ready for Miller's Daredevil in lots of ways. The dynamic covers that took the hero of Hell's Kitchen and pitted him against an organized ninja clan and the uber-assassin, former lover Elektra were too much for my early pubescent, ninja-fueled dreams.

Miller brought a fresh athleticism, level of danger, heroic angst, crisp and kinetic style along with provocative writing and solid pacing.

I've pursued his DD run in 9.8 more than is reasonable, I suppose, but it's a classic story-telling run, both visually and narratively. Miller's style was thriving during that period. It was definitive for him. He would do some later, classic work, too, but this is where it started.

16971.jpg

See more journals by DavidTheDavid