• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So the Copper Age is...

21 posts in this topic

Did a search for "Copper Age comics" on google and this came up as the first link.

http://www.copperagecomics.com/

Many years ago it was discussed here what should be the definition of the Copper Age of Comic Books. I stated that I thought it should start with either Contest of Champions (Marvel's first limited series that has most of the characters all together in a comic book limited series and a precursor to Secret Wars) or Secret Wars (Marvel's first hit limited series) and thought it should end with the comic book market crash in the early to mid 90's. I think I was the only one as everyone said it should be events that happened in comic stories like the Gold, Silver and Bronze age was defined. Well, I'm a bit shocked that so many years later I come across this link and find I was fairly close to what this site thinks. :o:whistle:

Anyone can start a website and post their opinion. That's what you're getting here; one person's opinion. Every transition between ages has a number of events or books that can be pointed two, and certainly the ones you mention are good to include in the transition, but there are many others as well.

Yup, one person's opinion. I don't agree with it. However, it's an opinion that seems to be gaining ground. We've had many well thought out discussions on these boards that contradict what that blog writer says, so it basically comes down to personal opinion.

Did a search for "Copper Age comics" on google and this came up as the first link.

http://www.copperagecomics.com/

Many years ago it was discussed here what should be the definition of the Copper Age of Comic Books. I stated that I thought it should start with either Contest of Champions (Marvel's first limited series that has most of the characters all together in a comic book limited series and a precursor to Secret Wars) or Secret Wars (Marvel's first hit limited series) and thought it should end with the comic book market crash in the early to mid 90's. I think I was the only one as everyone said it should be events that happened in comic stories like the Gold, Silver and Bronze age was defined. Well, I'm a bit shocked that so many years later I come across this link and find I was fairly close to what this site thinks. :o:whistle:

A lot more was going on before 1984 leading up to a declaration a new age had begun. So it really comes down to at what point do you as an individual collector feel the 'official transition' took place. It isn't as easy as TMNT #1 and beyond.

• May 1979: Daredevil 158- First Miller art
  • Nov 1979: Iron Man #128 "Demon in a Bottle"
  • Feb 1980: She-Hulk #1
  • Mar 1980: King Conan 1
  • Apr 1980: Star Trek 1
  • Spring 1980: Epic Illustrated 1
  • Sep 1980: X-Men 137- Death of Dark Phoenix
  • Oct 1980: DC Presents 26- first New Teen Titans
  • Nov 1980: New Teen Titans 1
  • Nov 1980: Moon Knight gets his own series
  • 1980 : Superboy Spectacular- Direct Sales only 1-shot
  • Jan 1981: Daredevil 168- First Miller -script; Intro Elektra
  • Jan 1981: X-Men 141 "Days of Future Past" launches alternate timeline which would form the basis for many X-continuity books/characters over the next several years.
  • Jan 1981: Capital Comics launches and publishes Nexus 1
  • Mar 1981: X-Men 143- Final Claremont/Byrne
  • Mar 1981: Dazzler 1- First direct-sales-only for an ongoing series
  • Mar 1981: Bizarre Adventures starts
  • Mar 1981: Captain Canuck is cancelled
  • May 1981: Eclipse Magazine starts
  • June 1981: The Hulk magazine ends
  • Jul 1981: Fantastic Four 232 - Byrne takes over FF writing/art duties.
  • Aug 1981: Rogue debuts
  • Aug 1981: Marvel Premiere ends
  • Nov 1981: Captain Victory 1- First Pacific Comics issue, direct-only publisher
  • 1981: Marvel cancels many of its reprint titles, including MGC, AA, TTA, MSA, etc.
  • 1981: Stan Lee moves to California to head Marvel TV/movie properties, leaving Jim Shooter in charge
  • Jan 1982: Comico Comics founded: publishes Comico Primer #1.
  • Feb 1982: Comico Primer #2 introduces the character Grendel (Hunter Rose) by Matt Wagner.
  • March 1982: Warrior Magazine #1 (Marvelman, V for Vendetta)
  • May 1982: Saga of the Swamp Thing #1
  • June 1982: G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero #1
  • June 1982: Marvel Super-Hero Contest of Champions #1 (first Marvel mini-series, precursor to Secret Wars)
  • Sept 1982: Love and Rockets debuts
  • Sept 1982: Wolverine Mini #1
  • 1982: Harvey Comics, Warren Publishing and Spire Comics cease operations
  • 1982: DC cancels remaining Horror titles
  • 1982: Start of creator royalties at Marvel and DC
  • 1982: Steve Geppi founds Diamond
  • 1982: Marvel introduces Graphic Novel series, including Death of Captain Marvel and X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills.
  • Dec 1982: New Mutants introduction published in Marvel Graphic Novel #4, leading to a 1983-1991 dedicated title.
  • Jan 1983: Bill Willingham’s The Elementals introduced as part of backup story of Justice Machine Annual 1 (Texas Comics).
  • Jan 1983: Albedo Anthropomorphics #0 published by Steven Gallacci.
  • Feb 1983: The Buyer's Guide to Comics Fandom is acquired by Krause Publications and changes its name to Comics Buyer's Guide.
  • Mar 1983: Warp published by First Comics, which also is its first comic by this later recognized independent publisher.
  • May 1983: Jason Todd makes his debut as the second Robin in Detective Comics #526.
  • Jun 1983: Master of Kung Fu, with issue #125, is cancelled by Marvel.
  • Jun 1983: Marvel Two-in-One, with issue #100, is cancelled by Marvel (replaced the following month by the new title The Thing).
  • Jun 1983: Jon Sable published by First Comics.
  • Jul 1983: First issue of Frank Miller's Ronin limited series published by DC Comics.
  • Jul 1983: Final issue of Brave and the Bold; also features a preview insert for the new title Batman and the Outsiders.
  • Jul 1983: Mike Baron’s The Badger #1 published by Capital Comics.
  • Aug 1983: Alan Moore's "The Bojeffries Saga" starts with Warrior #12, published by Quality Communications (continued through 1986).
  • Aug 1983: Harris Publications acquired Warren Publishing's company assets (Vampirella, Creepy, Eerie); later gives up Creepy and Eerie.
  • Sep 1983: With issue #503, DC ceases publishing Adventure Comics, which had been running continuously since November 1938.
  • Oct 1983: House of Mystery, with issue #321, canceled by DC.
  • Oct 1983: American Flagg! published by First Comics.
  • Nov 1983: Walt Simonson makes his debut as writer/artist on Thor with issue #337; introduces Beta Ray Bill.
  • 1983: DC Comics acquires most of Charlton's superhero characters (includes Blue Beetle, Captain Atom, The Question).
  • Jan 1984: Alan Moore takes over writing responsibilities for Saga of the Swamp Thing title with issue #20.
  • May 1984: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #1 published by Mirage Studios.
  • May 1984: Marvel launches the Secret Wars; includes the introduction of a Spider-Man black suit in issue #8.
  • Nov 1984: Albedo Anthropomorphics #2 contains Stan Sakai’s “The Goblin of Adachigahara”, introducing Usagi Yojimbo.
  • 1984: Antarctic Press, Continuity Comics, Deluxe Comics, Matrix Graphic Series, and Renegade Press launch comic publication.

Transition points leading to what we know today as the Copper Age

I'm becoming more and more of a decade guy..... and most of what I consider CA fits squarely into the 1980-1990 timeframe. There's spill over in both directions, naturally. Honestly, it doesn't even matter that much to me.... I like what I like and don't restrict myself to a particular "age". The only time it really matters is when I'm on eBay or here, when buying or selling. I hear people complain that if the Modern Age begins with Polybag Spider-man 1 then "modern books are over 20 years old..... but with Fine Art the Modern period goes back a century. The only other distinction I see that might be needed is for "new" and "recent"'....because quite frankly, not a lot has changed since the early 90's..... the market is still flooded with multiple covers and reboots..... geared towards selling more than one copy towards each customer. This is obviously only my opinion, but that's what I go with..... and have yet to see a convincing argument to change that. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... to me, Byrne FF's, Miller DD's, Simonson Thor's, Moore Swamp Thing's, etc, will never be Bronze Age...... never. No matter how it's sliced and diced. I was buying all that stuff off the rack and the change to me was obvious.

I'm with jimbo. I think we should chuck the ages and just go with decades. When you say 60s comics, that means something. When you say 70s, or 80s, or 90s comics, it definitely has a feel to it. When you say 90s comics, collectors know what you mean. They know what the 90s represented, just like the 80s, etc, etc

because quite frankly, not a lot has changed since the early 90's..... the market is still flooded with multiple covers and reboots..... geared towards selling more than one copy towards each customer.

Yes, because that has been a constant truth for the last 25 years, with no changes at any point. meh

You might as well have said that nothing had changed since the Golden Age back in the early 90s. After all, there were comics selling in the millions at both times.

.... to me, Byrne FF's, Miller DD's, Simonson Thor's, Moore Swamp Thing's, etc, will never be Bronze Age...... never. No matter how it's sliced and diced. I was buying all that stuff off the rack and the change to me was obvious.

At least you got that right. :baiting:

I'm becoming more and more of a decade guy..... and most of what I consider CA fits squarely into the 1980-1990 timeframe. There's spill over in both directions, naturally. Honestly, it doesn't even matter that much to me.... I like what I like and don't restrict myself to a particular "age". The only time it really matters is when I'm on eBay or here, when buying or selling. I hear people complain that if the Modern Age begins with Polybag Spider-man 1 then "modern books are over 20 years old..... but with Fine Art the Modern period goes back a century. The only other distinction I see that might be needed is for "new" and "recent"'....because quite frankly, not a lot has changed since the early 90's..... the market is still flooded with multiple covers and reboots..... geared towards selling more than one copy towards each customer. This is obviously only my opinion, but that's what I go with..... and have yet to see a convincing argument to change that. GOD BLESS...

By the decades does seem to be the cleaner breakout. And I agree on the books from that early 80's period, there was something different going on at that point that came across more anti-hero related than your typical superhero stories. It seemed to be the norm at that point, which is part of what became a common direction for Copper Age superhero books.

I'm on record in many places on this board advocating for using decades starting with the 1980s, if not sooner.

There's just no point in trying to determine the "fourth-most important shift" in the industry when Golden, Silver, and Bronze are already established.

1980s = 1980s

No argument necessary.

I think my bigger issue is the 20+ year "Modern Age" that started after Copper.

Yes.

I know, right? It couldn't wait two or three years after the Copper Age. It had to hog all that time up, and start right after.

:sumo:

hm

Wait a minute!

:ohnoez:

I think my bigger issue is the 20+ year "Modern Age" that started after Copper.

I agree.

I demand that CGC be the leader, the first & foremost, in naming the new "age" we need between Copper and now-modern books.

I propose that CGC start a new forum entitled "1990's Comics" and another called "Comics from 2000-2010"!

:ohnoez:

If it just has to be an age... then go ahead, call it the Chromium Age, I don't care...

-slym

I believe the official ages are

Gold

Goldom

Atom

Silatom

Silver

Bronver

Bronze

Cronze

Copper

Mopper

Modern

....isn't this part of the Big Bang Theory theme song ? GOD BLESS...