• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does CGC offer refunds if you disagree with their grading?

68 posts in this topic

OK, I assume the answer is "No", but the 2 books I recently submitted just arrived and I disagree with the grades they received.

I'm not going to post photos of them here because I've been on these boards long enough to know that if I did there would be a bunch of people saying "CGC was right." or "Obviously you're overlooking this particular minute defect" and on and on.

I know many people here would think my opinion is invalid compared with the expertise of CGC's professional third party graders, but I feel like I just flushed $120 down the toilet.

I looked on CGC's main site for any info on refunds but couldn't find anything in the FAQs. Because I'm probably not alone in this I figure they don't offer refunds or anyone who got a PLOD or a 6.0 instead of a 9.0 would be demanding their money back, but it never hurts to ask.

Post the pics, the expected grade and grade received. Anything less comes off as sour grapes.

Bingo.

The OP has been around here for quite some time. A strange question to ask, IMO.

Now, I do know of a few situations over the years where grade disagreements between submitter and CGC have been subject to re-review.

A refund though? Common sense would tell you no.

What would stop someone from submitting a bunch of books, "disagreeing" with the grade and getting the refund, then sell the book raw with "your own" grade (that coincidently matches the refunded grade you got from CGC)?

OK, I assume the answer is "No", but the 2 books I recently submitted just arrived and I disagree with the grades they received.

I'm not going to post photos of them here because I've been on these boards long enough to know that if I did there would be a bunch of people saying "CGC was right." or "Obviously you're overlooking this particular minute defect" and on and on.

I know many people here would think my opinion is invalid compared with the expertise of CGC's professional third party graders, but I feel like I just flushed $120 down the toilet.

I looked on CGC's main site for any info on refunds but couldn't find anything in the FAQs. Because I'm probably not alone in this I figure they don't offer refunds or anyone who got a PLOD or a 6.0 instead of a 9.0 would be demanding their money back, but it never hurts to ask.

Post the pics, the expected grade and grade received. Anything less comes off as sour grapes.

Bingo.

The OP has been around here for quite some time. A strange question to ask, IMO.

Now, I do know of a few situations over the years where grade disagreements between submitter and CGC have been subject to re-review.

What would stop someone from submitting a bunch of books, "disagreeing" with the grade and getting the refund, then sell the book raw with "your own" grade (that coincidently matches the refunded grade you got from CGC)?

So we don't use the term buttthurt anymore ? Has it gone in to the junk linguistics

pile along with rad and ayyeee ?

Bingo.

If it was me, I’d want somebody else to take a look and see if i’d missed something. It only helps one’s grading ability. Plus, we’ve all seen books that have gotten docked for no discernible reason, as well as gift grades. Howard, if you’re feeling sensitive about it, why not post scans but crop the grade at first to get some opinions?

If it was me, I’d want somebody else to take a look and see if i’d missed something. It only helps one’s grading ability. Plus, we’ve all seen books that have gotten docked for no discernible reason, as well as gift grades. Howard, if you’re feeling sensitive about it, why not post scans but crop the grade at first to get some opinions?

Same. Also, did OP call for notes? What were they?

Maybe a stain was missed by the OP and we know CGC will hammer those. Book could look like a VF/NM and small and/or hard to see stain on initial review could knock it down a few pegs pretty easily.

I'm a bit surprised at the restraint shown towards the OPs question on this board.

Though I would also echo many of the "no." comments here just on the logic of not offering refunds for contested grades. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. People would abuse it way too much, Submit it to another grading company if you choose. If you do that, however, in order not to influence either way I would remove it from the slab.

I'm a bit surprised at the restraint shown towards the OPs question on this board.

Though I would also echo many of the "no." comments here just on the logic of not offering refunds for contested grades. It wouldn't make sense from a business perspective. People would abuse it way too much, Submit it to another grading company if you choose. If you do that, however, in order not to influence either way I would remove it from the slab.

Removing it from the slab or not does nothing to affect the grade. Every book goes through a series of hands before making it to the grader, meaning the person receiving the book takes it out of the slab when they process it initially, and each subsequent grader receives it in a bag and board.