• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

FindMyComic.Net. A New Comic Book Search Engine
4 4

118 posts in this topic

I had this idea years ago, and standards have changed to make this very easy.

If every comic vendor had an exposed web services interface for searching their inventory, doing this would not be that hard. I would suggest all comic vendors add a web services interface for doing such. In fact....there should be a global "standard" for doing so such that anyone who wants to integrate only has to do it once, not once PER SITE.

I had an idea about a local service that could immediately alert you when a graded book hit the inventory of any dealer. Definitely niche, but makes it very nice and easy. Also imagine if dealers could find out WHAT was needed in order to sell. Demand anticipation might be a good tool for dealers as well.

Who wants to lead this effort?

You? (shrug)

^^:baiting:

My web skills aren't the best and if anyone who really knows PHP saw the code to what I've done surely will :roflmao:

Oh, and 3,000th post, woot!

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

So, for the next couple days, this domain is going to forward elsewhere. Only for 24-48 hours though I promise! Then it will be exactly back to how you would expect.

Thanks for your patience guys!

I can't say why unfortunately, but it's necessary believe me. Just hope it works out how I'm planning lol

And before I get any inquiries, I'm not planning on selling any of my books :sumo:

Jerome

You? (shrug)

God, I've been doing infrastructure / integration, having left development a long time ago. I'm picking up on all the jazzy tech on the weekends, so we'll see what happens. I suspect laziness may win but we'll see. If nothing else maybe it will keep me engaged in the hobby without having to spend any money. :)

Lethal: The primary architecture I wanted to consider was to be a cached gateway and let sites integrate with me for simple add/remove calls from their web site, as opposed to me scraping information from everyone's web sites. Simply won't scale, and a PITA as folks will change sites / upgrade software which will render your scraping obsolete.

From there, build a light web client that can access your account / filter information and simply let you know when something's popped up. This could be designed to be a batch / server execute that sends out e-mails or if client is local perhaps push notifications. I'm guessing this may work better on mobile devices than PCs given where folks have went.

The real rub is getting dealers signed on with it, as they would need to add web services calls according to additions/removals within their inventory. Ideally I would only deal with certified books and require very limited information so I can get the rest from the CGC lookup function.

That to me would be version 1.0.

So, for the next couple days, this domain is going to forward elsewhere. Only for 24-48 hours though I promise! Then it will be exactly back to how you would expect.

I can't say why unfortunately, but it's necessary believe me. Just hope it works out how I'm planning lol

And before I get any inquiries, I'm not planning on selling any of my books :sumo:

Jerome

Well what I was attempting to accomplish won't work. I was trying to get Google AdWords working, but they are being straight up *spoon* heads about it, so F'em. Things are back to the way they were before, aw well.

You? (shrug)

God, I've been doing infrastructure / integration, having left development a long time ago. I'm picking up on all the jazzy tech on the weekends, so we'll see what happens. I suspect laziness may win but we'll see. If nothing else maybe it will keep me engaged in the hobby without having to spend any money. :)

Lethal: The primary architecture I wanted to consider was to be a cached gateway and let sites integrate with me for simple add/remove calls from their web site, as opposed to me scraping information from everyone's web sites. Simply won't scale, and a PITA as folks will change sites / upgrade software which will render your scraping obsolete.

From there, build a light web client that can access your account / filter information and simply let you know when something's popped up. This could be designed to be a batch / server execute that sends out e-mails or if client is local perhaps push notifications. I'm guessing this may work better on mobile devices than PCs given where folks have went.

The real rub is getting dealers signed on with it, as they would need to add web services calls according to additions/removals within their inventory. Ideally I would only deal with certified books and require very limited information so I can get the rest from the CGC lookup function.

That to me would be version 1.0.

Well it's way out of my scope of web programming to say the least, in either case. While I work in IT, I don't specialize in web dev. But I do understand what you are saying. My initial thought when I started this was to go with the web crawler/mysql database set up where every hour or two all 50 sites would get scraped and update the mysql db that the php page would look at for the queries. But you are right, if anyone changes their site, I'd have to go in and fix it.

The thought of trying to round up shop owners to make an API is pretty much out of the question as most don't even know what that is, so I guess FindMyComic.Net is in the final version (shrug)

Jerome

Jerome

Well what I was attempting to accomplish won't work. I was trying to get Google AdWords working, but they are being straight up *spoon* heads about it, so F'em. Things are back to the way they were before, aw well.

Jerome

Interesting. So basically, if people are paying Google to advertise then pick up the hit? And it's not working? They probably only allow this from their web sites, right? BTW, the only hits I seem to get on Ad Sense is Heritage.

No, it's not just for their sites. They just have a laundry list of requirements that my site just won't meet, even if I try and 'fib' by bounding the domain to what appears to be a storefront. I've called them like 4 times in the past few days trying to squeeze into their requirements but it just won't work.

Jerome

So....

Google Chrome implemented a few tweaks a few weeks back.  Chrome no longer lets my findmycomic.net site open multiple tabs at once, BOOOOO!!!!!  So I turned off the domain all together.....I'm certain this is from my continuous interaction with them to get me on their Google Ads (which they refused since I'm not selling anything).  It was fun while it lasted?

Jerome

There's nothing like dusting off an old thread.

I've got this setup again.  I need to update the list as some sites have gone dark :(

I would like to ask if anyone knows of a site that isn't on my list, I'd love to add it!

LNK

Jerome