• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thinking of purchasing a 5 figure book and have some questions

45 posts in this topic

Don't know what's up with your policy Leroy, maybe you got yours under an older schedule and they since changed it up.

There may be some differences with dealer policies versus collector policies as well. I should look at this since I have both (a core policy to cover the books not for sale in my collection) and the other policy covers the rest.

I've been working under these limits...similar to Ben's:

- ship USPS Express or FedEx sig required - $60,000

- ship USPS priority signature - $2,000

- ship with no signature confirmation - $400

(There's other line items too, but I don't ship those ways)

Good luck!

Just called CIS and here is what I discovered. I'm not getting the coverage discussed because I elected not to have it. It is additional $62 every 6 months for my dealer policy.

Back when I talked with them about the extra premium a couple years ago I was not shipping as much so decided against it. I did just sign up for it and will try and see if it's worth the extra premium.

As I stated before probably 95% of my shipments are under $100 and I use USPS Priority which gives me $100 in free coverage when buying labels through eBay.

I now get $400 coverage on no signature USPS Priority. Policy says $400 but you do have a $200 deductible so actually you get $200 coverage. I did ask CIS if item shows delivered but buyer claims they never received will they pay claim. Answer was no. What are chances mailman deliver to wrong address? Never happens I'm sure.

Where I feel this will pay off by adding this to my policy is signature required items in the $500-$2000 range. I can now ship these Priority for about $8 instead of having to use FedEx ground with signature which would cost $15-$20.

Don't know what's up with your policy Leroy, maybe you got yours under an older schedule and they since changed it up.

There may be some differences with dealer policies versus collector policies as well. I should look at this since I have both (a core policy to cover the books not for sale in my collection) and the other policy covers the rest.

I've been working under these limits...similar to Ben's:

- ship USPS Express or FedEx sig required - $60,000

- ship USPS priority signature - $2,000

- ship with no signature confirmation - $400

(There's other line items too, but I don't ship those ways)

Good luck!

Just called CIS and here is what I discovered. I'm not getting the coverage discussed because I elected not to have it. It is additional $62 every 6 months for my dealer policy.

Back when I talked with them about the extra premium a couple years ago I was not shipping as much so decided against it. I did just sign up for it and will try and see if it's worth the extra premium.

As I stated before probably 95% of my shipments are under $100 and I use USPS Priority which gives me $100 in free coverage when buying labels through eBay.

I now get $400 coverage on no signature USPS Priority. Policy says $400 but you do have a $200 deductible so actually you get $200 coverage. I did ask CIS if item shows delivered but buyer claims they never received will they pay claim. Answer was no. What are chances mailman deliver to wrong address? Never happens I'm sure.

Where I feel this will pay off by adding this to my policy is signature required items in the $500-$2000 range. I can now ship these Priority for about $8 instead of having to use FedEx ground with signature which would cost $15-$20.

gotcha. I've got a collectors policy so that would explain the variation

So I am thinking about buying this lateral filing cabinet that locks for storage of my valuable books http://www.target.com/p/hon-600-series-two-drawer-lateral-file-36w-x-19-1-4d-black/-/A-17007458?lnk=rec|pdp|related_prods_vv|pdpv1

I am guessing this lock could be picked by anyone who knows what they are doing but on the plus side it is heavy enough that it would be a total pain in the to carry it out of my house.

Someone tell me if this is a mess idea and I need to find something better lol. I am just really concerned about buying a safe that could be just picked up and carried out. I could bolt it to the floor but I have no idea who I'd get to do that.

So I am thinking about buying this lateral filing cabinet that locks for storage of my valuable books http://www.target.com/p/hon-600-series-two-drawer-lateral-file-36w-x-19-1-4d-black/-/A-17007458?lnk=rec|pdp|related_prods_vv|pdpv1

I am guessing this lock could be picked by anyone who knows what they are doing but on the plus side it is heavy enough that it would be a total pain in the to carry it out of my house.

Someone tell me if this is a mess idea and I need to find something better lol. I am just really concerned about buying a safe that could be just picked up and carried out. I could bolt it to the floor but I have no idea who I'd get to do that.

Most burglars are smash-and-grab types who want to get in and out in 10 minutes. Anything that slows them down will probably stop whatever's inside from being stolen -- in most cases anyway.