• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree of a Pedigree?

41 posts in this topic

There are.

allstar003.jpg

In my opinion "from the collection of Nic Cage" detracts from the true value of the pedigreed book.

:o that is one sweet copy :applause:

1. (worship) Man, is that a pretty book.

2. I think it's a cool piece of pop culture history.

Just wait -- when Eminem or Leonardo DiCaprio decide to dump their wares on the market in 20 years, we'll see some frenzied bidding...

Leonardo DiCaprio already did.....at least in terms of his action figures. His boxed/carded Megos were sold through a third party several years ago. I don't remember specifics, but I don't believe they brought much of a premium. Aside from a couple of Kresge's, I don't think they were top shelf pieces.

I know he had comic books as well. Geoffrey (RIP) from Geoffrey's Comics in LA sold some books to him or brokered purchases for him at the very least.....at least according to Geoffrey, who never gave me a reason not to believe him.

He did show me a raw Hulk #1 that an East Coast dealer had sent to him specifically for DiCaprio. If he's still into comics, I have no idea.

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't pay more for something because it had passed through the hands of a celebrity. Much ado about nothing.

As others said, a pedigree must be original owner.

The "collection of" stuff that CGC has done over the years is interesting. I think it's a bit cool to own a book once owned by a celebrity (Nick Cage or someone else) or someone significant in the comic industry (Joe and Nadia collection, etc).

I wouldn't pay extra to get one of those books but I don't mind it's on the label. Gives another thing to talk about among friends when you talk comics.

1. (worship) Man, is that a pretty book.

2. I think it's a cool piece of pop culture history.

Just wait -- when Eminem or Leonardo DiCaprio decide to dump their wares on the market in 20 years, we'll see some frenzied bidding...

Leonardo DiCaprio already did.....at least in terms of his action figures. His boxed/carded Megos were sold through a third party several years ago. I don't remember specifics, but I don't believe they brought much of a premium. Aside from a couple of Kresge's, I don't think they were top shelf pieces.

I know he had comic books as well. Geoffrey (RIP) from Geoffrey's Comics in LA sold some books to him or brokered purchases for him at the very least.....at least according to Geoffrey, who never gave me a reason not to believe him.

He did show me a raw Hulk #1 that an East Coast dealer had sent to him specifically for DiCaprio. If he's still into comics, I have no idea.

But yeah, I certainly wouldn't pay more for something because it had passed through the hands of a celebrity. Much ado about nothing.

Haven't seen him the last few years, but he was a semi regular at SDCC up until that time. He's been at my booth more than once.

A book with a dust shadow like that gets a 9.6?

Hey look! There's a forest

Are we sure that's a dust shadow or some scanning shadow? Looks like it but hard to tell.

It's a beautiful book but does look over graded.

The "collection of" stuff that CGC has done over the years is interesting. I think it's a bit cool to own a book once owned by a celebrity (Nick Cage or someone else) or someone significant in the comic industry (Joe and Nadia collection, etc).

If they have the Joe & Nadia Collection along with the Don & Maggie Thompson Collection for industry stalwalts, it makes me wonder why they never bother with designating the books that came out from the Bob Overstreet collection.

I guess poor old Bob is just somebody deemed as insignificant in the comic book industry. lol

Has Bob sold his collection? If he submitted them in bulk to CGC, I cant imagine they wouldn't. I have a few Cockrum books, to go along with my Cage ones.

also have a few E. Nelson Bridwell books that aren't slabbed but came with a COA from the Levine Brothers.

They add panache to the books, if not real value.

I have an Action comics with 'Billy Carruthers' written on the first page is that worth anything?

In my opinion "from the collection of Nic Cage" detracts from the true value of the pedigreed book.

+1

Especially in a beautiful, vintage label with a "Church" designation. It should be about the original collector, no need to mention other owners, especially if the book has changed hands several times in the aftermarket.

+1

Especially in a beautiful, vintage label with a "Church" designation. It should be about the original collector, no need to mention other owners, especially if the book has changed hands several times in the aftermarket.

+1

This thread is about the difference between provenance and pedigree. Pedigree equals provenance, but provenance does not (necessarily) equal pedigree.

From the collection of... Denotes additional provenance to a book. Whereas a pedigree must satisfy 4 criteria- origin, quality, completeness, & market acceptance.