• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are these?

11 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm new and don't collect much in the way of comics. I do collect ephemera and upon buying a box of papers, I came across these comic items. Now, I know they're worth what the market will pay so I won't ask about that, but what exactly are these? How rare are they? I'd like to put them on eBay but want to get the description right so as not to mislead. Thanks for the help!

Ok, how do I upload photos from my phone?

I guess I can describe them in the meantime. So there are two different things in question. First, I found about 6 large sheets of paper with hand-colored printed comic sheets from Avengelyne. They are definitely from the production of the comic as there are notes written on the margins and such. The markers used to color the sheets has bled through the back but the outline of the drawings has not. I assume the drawing were printed and these were submitted to the color artist to color them by hand. One of the drawings says "For Drew" in the margin. My research indicates that Drew Struzan did the coloring for this comic so it could be that these are hand-colored by him.

The second thing I found was about 20 transparent sheets from Project Ako and Youngblood. They are taped to paper and marked with edits and changes. Some have multiple separate colored sheets on top of one another. These are also clearly from the production process but I don't know what they're called.

Hope someone can help. Once informed how to post pictures, I can do so.

What you are describing are color guides, and for the titles mentioned they aren't worth much. In a lot they would be lucky to get $5-$10 a page.

Agree. Color guides. Estimate is probably pretty close as well.

I looked up color guides and it appears you guys are correct. Would the estimates change if it turns out they were colored by the famous Drew Struzan?

What about the transparency sheet things? I'm heading out to work but will try to post some pictures tonight if they will help.

I looked up color guides and it appears you guys are correct. Would the estimates change if it turns out they were colored by the famous Drew Struzan?

Probably not. Drew's own artwork goes for nice money. Coloring over xeroxes of a comic title like this? Probably no difference.

Also, some of those Avengelyne issues you are talking about had 6-7 different colorists.

If you like them then I would keep them, you'll probably be disappointed with whatever money you'd get for them.

What about the transparency sheet things? I'm heading out to work but will try to post some pictures tonight if they will help.

Not sure on the transparency sheets. I've seen them before with color guides, but, the only ones I have ever seen are basically showing you the page inking.

Here's an example (these were done for a re-coloring of the Death of Kraven trade):

"Color Guide"

SpideyPage3.jpg

Transparency (over blank white piece of paper):

SpideyPage2.jpg

CG +Transparency together (final look):

SpideyPage1.jpg

What you have there are color keys made at the prepress/printer and are/were used to se trapping, overprinting etc. I kept some when I did work for Marvel. They are neat to have but hold little value outside a very few folks.

The good thing is there most likely isn't another one like it because seldom were keys made in multiples or done over again.