• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardest to find classic pre-code crime or horror cover?

202 posts in this topic

Of the books listed I would say Dynamic #8, This Mag is Haunted #3, Tales of Terror Annual #1 and Secret Diary of Eerie Advs are all VERY tough.

Also very tough for me is Vault of Horror #12 (#1), Journey into Mystery #1 (as well as many pre-code issues) and Strange Tales #1. I have never owned any of them.

Also tough are these:

comrolypoly_zps43113ce7.jpg

comallpicadvs2_zps3a4da662.jpg

combeware10_zpseywt225t.jpg

comfantastic5_zpsfelfacvx.jpg

comcaptamerica75_zpstjsjyzju.jpg

Of the books listed I would say Dynamic #8, This Mag is Haunted #3, Tales of Terror Annual #1 and Secret Diary of Eerie Advs are all VERY tough.

Also very tough for me is Vault of Horror #12 (#1), Journey into Mystery #1 (as well as many pre-code issues) and Strange Tales #1. I have never owned any of them.

Also tough are these:

Beware 10, Fantastic Fears 5 and Cap 75 all show up with more frequency than other books mentioned in this thread. They aren't easy to find, but aren't super rare.

The most difficult of any pre code...... hands down is..

This Magazine is Haunted #3

What's the story behind this issue being so hard to find? The other issues in the run are very find-able.

This, Worlds of Fear #2 and Man From Planet X were all printed the same month I believe. They were printed on very cheap cover stock causing the spines to split and covers detached. All are scarce to rare. Most every existing copies have taped spines. I'm guessing that when they became coverless, they were discarded.

The most difficult of any pre code...... hands down is..

This Magazine is Haunted #3

What's the story behind this issue being so hard to find? The other issues in the run are very find-able.

As far as I know it is the same paper problem with the cover splitting as with Worlds of Fear 2. Cover splits and fall off, over the years book gets thrown in with other coverless copies or gets trashed. (shrug)

After a few more posts I might start a survey. Lets get all analytical up in here!

It is really kind of hard to answer the question the original poster started for me. I have been at this for a LONG time. Pre-code horror/crime is obviously my speciality. There are very few books I think I still need. Although I kind of avoided publishers like ACG, St. John and Star because of weak content, I went after most of the rest. Since I already had them, they have been kind of off my radar. So my opinion is not real current. Some like This Mag is Haunted #3 are because I've wanted to upgrade forever and just never see one that is significantly better than the one I already have.

Pre-code horror/crime is obviously my speciality. There are very few books I think I still need. Although I kind of avoided publishers like ACG, St. John and Star because of weak content,

I think you did yourself a dis-service.

I will normally hang onto a book if it has at least one good, or even passable (as in, I'd read it again) story out of the usual four, and I don't recall selling off any from those three publishers. I can't say the same for Atlas horror, or even Lev-Gleason crime books though.

But, we all have our individual preferences.

Ya know, I was thinking. In the month that those 3 Fawcetts were printed, there were other titles also printed like Capt. Marvel, Whiz, Nyoka... ect. Do those issues have the same problem?

I have all books from that month. I suspect that both the Master and the Bill Boyd were also affected, much harder to find than surrounding issues.

All these four books were published on a bi-monthly schedule so they are the Feb-March issues. The regular monthlies in my opinion were not affected.