• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hardest to find classic pre-code crime or horror cover?

202 posts in this topic

I'll post some more books when I get to them as I'm about 1/2 way through bagging/boarding the stack of books.... Since I really am not really knowledgeable on PCH books, are there any rarer ones in the above photos? Any help is appreciated!!!

Nothing "rare" in there per se, but some great books chamber of chills 23, spellbound 14 and 17, the marvel tales hold a special place in my heart. The standards are tougher then most in my opinion. I love that orange Unseen cover.

Since I really am not really knowledgeable on PCH books, are there any rarer ones in the above photos? Any help is appreciated!!!

None of the books with the CCA "Stamp" in the upper right corner are PCH, just to clarify, and therefore don't normally fetch as much as the true PCH.

That Journey Into Mystery 20 is one tough book to find. You also have a number of other gems there, which should garner some spirited bidding on eBay, or result in quick sales on this board.

Since I really am not really knowledgeable on PCH books, are there any rarer ones in the above photos? Any help is appreciated!!!

None of the books with the CCA "Stamp" in the upper right corner are PCH, just to clarify, and therefore don't normally fetch as much as the true PCH.

That Journey Into Mystery 20 is one tough book to find. You also have a number of other gems there, which should garner some spirited bidding on eBay, or result in quick sales on this board.

Thanks fifties for the above insight; much appreciated. (thumbs u

I took a more (poor) pictures of additional books this morning:

20160109_090827_zpszhndqahr.jpg

20160109_091506_zpsrsuz7vwr.jpg

20160109_091137_zpsf93pda3l.jpg

20160109_091800_zpsx5nlha2f.jpg

20160109_092058_zps8vjcwied.jpg

20160109_092238_zpsuend3rjv.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures!!!

More great books! As fifties said, some post code mixed in but does not make them any less desirable. The Journey into Unknown Worlds 27, Dark Mysteries and Strange Tales 15 are some standouts. A spread of titles any PCH collector would find desirable! (thumbs u

More great books! As fifties said, some post code mixed in but does not make them any less desirable. The Journey into Unknown Worlds 27, Dark Mysteries and Strange Tales 15 are some standouts. A spread of titles any PCH collector would find desirable! (thumbs u

Definitely. I see a few I'd be interested in, and I limit myself to crime and Atlas.

I'd love to know the story of the collection, it seems to be from about a 4 year period, but other than the horror/mystery/crime angle, it appears the books were somewhat randomly selected, with a lean towards Atlas titles, or do some of the gaps fill in? How big was the collection?

The Mister Mystery is legitimately tough. Never see them for sale in midgrade or better. I have had zero luck in many years of looking.

The Blue Bolt isn't easy, but I don't think it's so much that it's extraordinarily scarce, just uncommon and rarely sold. Not many people who have that book want to part with it. I sure don't!

bluebolt105.jpg

The Mister Mystery is legitimately tough. Never see them for sale in midgrade or better. I have had zero luck in many years of looking.

The Blue Bolt isn't easy, but I don't think it's so much that it's extraordinarily scarce, just uncommon and rarely sold. Not many people who have that book want to part with it. I sure don't!

bluebolt105.jpg

That cover is wicked cool - thanks for sharing!!!

comrolypoly_zps43113ce7.jpg

I want a decent raw (non resto) copy of this book so bad.

Ditch the slab,... I'll keep it in a Mylites2/Fullback and cherish it. :cloud9:

Yeah, it's a tough one for sure. I have only seen it for sale a couple of times. It has some old tape reside on the spine but I was stoked just to get a copy. I learned long ago not to worry as much about condition as getting a copy at all some times. (And mine is in a Mylite2 and Fullback!)

Thanks fifties for the above insight; much appreciated. (thumbs u

I took a more (poor) pictures of additional books this morning:

20160109_090827_zpszhndqahr.jpg

20160109_091506_zpsrsuz7vwr.jpg

20160109_091137_zpsf93pda3l.jpg

20160109_091800_zpsx5nlha2f.jpg

20160109_092058_zps8vjcwied.jpg

20160109_092238_zpsuend3rjv.jpg

Sorry for the poor pictures!!!

Wow! What a score! Every PCH collector's dream. You got some cool stand outs there. The Dark Mysterys, the two Wanteds and the Chilling Tales are real standouts. Start reading them and you will become a fan!

bluebolt105.jpg

Wow, what a pretty book. I have always liked that issue but yet to ever be lucky enough to own a copy. (It's on the list though...)