• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I started off 2018 with a few pickups at the local LA con including this issue of WDCS 102. Thanks to Brad Sloan for actually showing up with some Golden Age to look at at this show. I wasn't expecting much and was glad to get this and some other Dells I'll post over in the Kelly thread. Bonus features include a Barks story I don't think I've read and a new adaption of the Phantom Blot story in the Mickey Serial!

tn_WDCS102.jpg

12 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

I started off 2018 with a few pickups at the local LA con including this issue of WDCS 102. Thanks to Brad Sloan for actually showing up with some Golden Age to look at at this show. I wasn't expecting much and was glad to get this and some other Dells I'll post over in the Kelly thread. Bonus features include a Barks story I don't think I've read and a new adaption of the Phantom Blot story in the Mickey Serial!

Looks nice Frank. I have a few high grade copies around that one and they are really enjoyable.

12 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

tn_WDCS102.jpg

The original owner of this book, Chuck McCleary, put his name on the door jamb.  He only had a few Dell comics but had almost everything else.  I helped sell his entire collection in the 1990's for a very strong price to Bill Ponseti and his group.  I still  have the only WDCS he had at that time, which was from the same period as your book but had his name stamp on it.  This book brings back a lot of amazing memories.

3 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

The original owner of this book, Chuck McCleary, put his name on the door jamb.  He only had a few Dell comics but had almost everything else.  I helped sell his entire collection in the 1990's for a very strong price to Bill Ponseti and his group.  I still  have the only WDCS he had at that time, which was from the same period as your book but had his name stamp on it.  This book brings back a lot of amazing memories.

Wow Rich, I spotted the name when I was looking at the book. These names never bother me as they always are part of the story of a particular comic and usually indicates the owner cared enough about them to identify them as their own. The big surprise here is that you knew the owner and helped broker a deal for his books. Small World!

On 12/19/2017 at 1:16 PM, Bronty said:
On 12/19/2017 at 11:22 AM, Hap Hazard said:

This is a recent find and I was wondering if  Uncle Scrooge 179 is considered that rare anymore.  This was a big deal during the 90's at least in the

Comic Book Market Place. Please forgive this Bronze age US in the Goldenage section. Wanted some knowledgeable feedback.

uncle scrooge 179 whitman.jpg

it was still selling well on ebay last I checked.

My impression as well.  Looking on GPA, it appears that, if anything, prices have been rising.

5 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

Speaking of rising prices, the high grade 1950s WDC&S that Heritage has been auctioning have been getting some strong prices.  

Yup - some surprisingly good results for those of us who were hoping something might slip off the radar.

5 minutes ago, AJD said:

Yup - some surprisingly good results for those of us who were hoping something might slip off the radar.

I've been putting in what I thought were very strong bids and usually waking up to find that I've won zero of these auctions. 

2 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I've been putting in what I thought were very strong bids and usually waking up to find that I've won zero of these auctions. 

I've noticed those prices going haywire too. A year ago I picked off six finish pre-100 WDCS for about $30-40 a pop. That was only once and since then those same kinds of books have been hitting $100-150 all year long and graded high grade books have been tearing it up. Deals are still out there; just far and few between.

Given that the Barks Uncle Scrooge run from FC386 to Uncle Scrooge 71 was the first run I put together about 10 years ago, it's surprising (to me at least) that I waited so long to add this one to the fold:

large.FC_178.jpg.ba3dcda4ec9221c09c5988d4ea0065c6.jpg

I got this from Heritage, graded at 2.0 It seemed significantly nicer than that in hand, so I leafed through to inspect it carefully. It took me a little while to notice that the book has no staples! They had evidently rusted a bit, and there are small migration spots in the CF and the covers. So it makes sense to have removed them for conservation. I'm OK with all of that - in fact I'm delighted with this flat and nicely presenting book with OW/W pages. And I think 2.0 is fair enough... but don't you think that it should have been mentioned in the auction description? I happen to have some 1947 Dell staples that I have cleaned up after taking them out of a cheapie Smilin' Jack, so they'll probably end up in this book.

Here's the main reason for owning this book:

FC_178_int_scrooge.thumb.jpg.f7d5d432ad38c32d9245b044a5c5ff50.jpg

Some nice touches here that I'm not sure I really noticed before - the lamp in particular, but also the statue, portrait and bookend.

5 hours ago, AJD said:

Given that the Barks Uncle Scrooge run from FC386 to Uncle Scrooge 71 was the first run I put together about 10 years ago, it's surprising (to me at least) that I waited so long to add this one to the fold:

large.FC_178.jpg.ba3dcda4ec9221c09c5988d4ea0065c6.jpg

I got this from Heritage, graded at 2.0 It seemed significantly nicer than that in hand, so I leafed through to inspect it carefully. It took me a little while to notice that the book has no staples! They had evidently rusted a bit, and there are small migration spots in the CF and the covers. So it makes sense to have removed them for conservation. I'm OK with all of that - in fact I'm delighted with this flat and nicely presenting book with OW/W pages. And I think 2.0 is fair enough... but don't you think that it should have been mentioned in the auction description? I happen to have some 1947 Dell staples that I have cleaned up after taking them out of a cheapie Smilin' Jack, so they'll probably end up in this book.

Some nice touches here that I'm not sure I really noticed before - the lamp in particular, but also the statue, portrait and bookend.

Yes Andrew, that is an awesome scene. I still remember looking at that panel back sometime in the early seventies when I got my dog eared copy mail ordered from the Buyer's Guide. It might as well have been pure gold though as it was such a great story. After that I got a copy of the Old Castle's secret and man was I hooked. I've upgraded since but I don't think I'll ever part with my first ratty copy of this classic!

tn_FourColor178.jpg

8 hours ago, AJD said:

About time AJD :applause:

The panel above is one I have often shown to non-comic folk, explaining that this is the first appearance of Scrooge in any medium, anywhere. I point out that  Barks has managed to establish his persona (albeit a little closer to Dickens' offering initially) in a single establishing shot with a sole thought balloon. I mention the "bits of business" that Barks has inserted and that were consistently present in most Duck stories.

I then stand back and have been universally underwhelmed by the indifferent reaction.

Comic folk get it. Non-comic people just don't get it. I gave up trying to explain stuff to "lay" people many years ago.

Anyway, congratulations and I agree the absence of staples should have been mentioned.

9 hours ago, AJD said:

Scrooge with a bowling trophy!  Never noticed that either.

Buying raw books from Heritage is a bit of a roll of the dice.  I've had some surprises in both directions.

On 11/01/2018 at 3:42 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

Comic folk get it. Non-comic people just don't get it. I gave up trying to explain stuff to "lay" people many years ago.

Guess I'm comic folk then! (thumbsu My very last purchase of 2017 courtesy of Rick. My favorite pickup of the year as well. 

mE01dE0l.jpg

Edited by Couchy81

Any chance to show off my copy again (which at 7.0 doesn’t look much better than your Great presenting 2.0).  

Barks and Eisner, to me, are the two primary complete well-rounded writer/artists geniuses of Comic books.  There are many other greats but I think they stand apart and for my money Barks is tops.  

2254EB9E-1766-4A50-AF86-3653AB17A951.jpeg

On 1/11/2018 at 12:42 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

The panel above is one I have often shown to non-comic folk, explaining that this is the first appearance of Scrooge in any medium, anywhere. I point out that  Barks has managed to establish his persona (albeit a little closer to Dickens' offering initially) in a single establishing shot with a sole thought balloon. I mention the "bits of business" that Barks has inserted and that were consistently present in most Duck stories.

I then stand back and have been universally underwhelmed by the indifferent reaction.

I got my copy back in the 90's, it was either the first or second pre-code key I ever owned.  I think I got it before the Mad #1, but not positive at this late date.

I hate to report that not even all comic folk get it.  But some of us sure do!

I've shown my copy before, but it's one of those books you can never post enough:

FC_0178.jpg