• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Any chance to show off my copy again (which at 7.0 doesn’t look much better than your Great presenting 2.0).  

Barks and Eisner, to me, are the two primary complete well-rounded writer/artists geniuses of Comic books.  There are many other greats but I think they stand apart and for my money Barks is tops.  

2254EB9E-1766-4A50-AF86-3653AB17A951.jpeg

I'm with you, particularly when you consider the isolation in which Barks worked.  I think I'd add Kirby to the writer/artist Rushmore, although his rep seems to be in eclipse these days. 

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Does anyone here not have a FC178? lol 

Myself. I have almost nothing of Disney in original language. I mean serious stuff.
I started collecting with Disney in 1984 and always collected most of it in italian. Since money and space aren’t unlimited, there are choices to be made… :)

1 hour ago, AJD said:

Of course not.

It's odd how many copies have problems Lower Right Front Cover Corner.

And shouldn't you be busy chatting with the fourth estate, advocating a nuclear arsenal in the South Pacific?:baiting:

FC 178.jpg

Edited by Duffman_Comics

On 11/1/2018 at 9:42 PM, Duffman_Comics said:

About time AJD :applause:

The panel above is one I have often shown to non-comic folk, explaining that this is the first appearance of Scrooge in any medium, anywhere. I point out that  Barks has managed to establish his persona (albeit a little closer to Dickens' offering initially) in a single establishing shot with a sole thought balloon. I mention the "bits of business" that Barks has inserted and that were consistently present in most Duck stories.

I then stand back and have been universally underwhelmed by the indifferent reaction.

Comic folk get it. Non-comic people just don't get it. I gave up trying to explain stuff to "lay" people many years ago.

Anyway, congratulations and I agree the absence of staples should have been mentioned.

If there’s an advantage in having had one of the most renowned and well-established school of Disney comic artists and writers in Italy, it’s that you can talk with "normal" people of these things and in a good number of cases they understand the importance/artistic quality/relevance. :)

Just now, vaillant said:

If there’s an advantage in having had one of the most renowned and well-established school of Disney comic artists and writers in Italy, it’s that you can talk with "normal" people of these things and in a good number of cases they understand the importance/artistic quality/relevance. :)

True, but there's also a  lot of other non-comic advantages available in Italy. And they're not confined to pizza and gelato.

18 hours ago, AJD said:

One of the revelations to me when eBay got rolling was just how common Dell Ducks were in mid-grade and below.  People bought them, read them, and kept them.  And I understand why!

6 hours ago, Pickie said:

Sure :blush:lol

Here's my -only- representative copy of the FC run, my favorite Barks cover:

20180114_170715.thumb.jpg.a25dd21109727cbef4acdb0e3a46a074.jpg

And I like the stamp "Colonial Book and Stamp Store" ...

You picked a great copy to start; certainly one of the more iconic covers.

Back  in 1978 my high school friend and I put together a fanzine called Fandom Playhouse.  I included an article on Barks and as an homage I used the cover of Bullet Valley to recreate the pen and ink drawing shown below!

tn_FandomPlayhouseDuck.jpg

11 hours ago, Pickie said:

Sure :blush:lol

Here's my -only- representative copy of the FC run, my favorite Barks cover:

And I like the stamp "Colonial Book and Stamp Store" ...

One of my favourites too. If you're only going to have one, that's not a bad choice. I like the stamp too!

I'm very pleased to be able to show this one off.

large.WDCS_021.jpg.61bc27d94e9a26f7ed641bf96ffc060c.jpg

I got this from Heritage. It is a VERY solid 5.0 and I'm glad I held my nerve in the auction.  With this I now have 90/100 of the WDC&S 'first 100'. Realistically, 1-5 aren't likely to happen, but I'd really like to find copies of the others - #10, 11, 14, 18 and 35. LMK if you see one around, though it will probably be buried under a pile of FC 178s! lol

BTW, the stamp on the cover identifies this book as previously belonging to Duane Mrohs. I have a few others from Duane's old collection: #s 27, 29 and 30, though he upgraded his rubber stamp on those ones:

large.5972a363a9f59_wdcs_030.jpg.8ccb7a0dc6f40b8970ee000eafacd69c.jpg

I figured that "Duane Mrohs" might not be that common a name, so I asked Mr Google. As near as I can tell (and if it's the right one) Mr Mrohs was a musical technician (photo of him in that article) who worked on some jazz records in the 1960s, and was attached to the music school at Ann Arbor in the 1960s and 70s. All of the references place him in Michigan, including a 1987 death notice. :( With that info, I found this record, which includes a birth date of 1930 - about right to have been buying a duck book in 1942 or 1943.

13 hours ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

You picked a great copy to start; certainly one of the more iconic covers.

Back  in 1978 my high school friend and I put together a fanzine called Fandom Playhouse.  I included an article on Barks and as an homage I used the cover of Bullet Valley to recreate the pen and ink drawing shown below!

tn_FandomPlayhouseDuck.jpg

Cool, we don't have those Fan-Mags anymore, do we. It's all in virtual forums and not guaranteed to stay up there.

On 1/11/2018 at 5:20 AM, AJD said:

Given that the Barks Uncle Scrooge run from FC386 to Uncle Scrooge 71 was the first run I put together about 10 years ago, it's surprising (to me at least) that I waited so long to add this one to the fold:

large.FC_178.jpg.ba3dcda4ec9221c09c5988d4ea0065c6.jpg

I got this from Heritage, graded at 2.0 It seemed significantly nicer than that in hand, so I leafed through to inspect it carefully. It took me a little while to notice that the book has no staples! They had evidently rusted a bit, and there are small migration spots in the CF and the covers. So it makes sense to have removed them for conservation. I'm OK with all of that - in fact I'm delighted with this flat and nicely presenting book with OW/W pages. And I think 2.0 is fair enough... but don't you think that it should have been mentioned in the auction description? I happen to have some 1947 Dell staples that I have cleaned up after taking them out of a cheapie Smilin' Jack, so they'll probably end up in this book.

Here's the main reason for owning this book:

FC_178_int_scrooge.thumb.jpg.f7d5d432ad38c32d9245b044a5c5ff50.jpg

Some nice touches here that I'm not sure I really noticed before - the lamp in particular, but also the statue, portrait and bookend.

Love the lamp!  Never noticed it before. :)

1 hour ago, BitterOldMan said:

Posted these again.  Original pictures lost due to photobucket fiasco.  Purchased several years ago at SDCC from Metropolis.  I saw the FC199 on the Metro website, but they did bring the book to SDCC.  Frank had the comic book shipped overnight to SDCC.

FC189199.thumb.jpg.fc09aec38ee23704f131e6aed31e0d53.jpg

FC 189 is one my favorite stories.  I remember as a kid reading the reprint in The Best of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge 1, with the cover redrawn by Tony Strobl to put Scrooge front and center. Somehow, I never noticed that the cover had been redrawn from Barks's FC 189 original until somebody on the boards pointed it out to me a while back.  I remember thinking it was one of the best comic book stories I had ever read (and I had read a lot, even at that young age!), despite being a huge Marvel fan. 

16 hours ago, AJD said:

I'm very pleased to be able to show this one off.

large.WDCS_021.jpg.61bc27d94e9a26f7ed641bf96ffc060c.jpg

I got this from Heritage. It is a VERY solid 5.0 and I'm glad I held my nerve in the auction.  With this I now have 90/100 of the WDC&S 'first 100'. Realistically, 1-5 aren't likely to happen, but I'd really like to find copies of the others - #10, 11, 14, 18 and 35. LMK if you see one around, though it will probably be buried under a pile of FC 178s! lol

BTW, the stamp on the cover identifies this book as previously belonging to Duane Mrohs. I have a few others from Duane's old collection: #s 27, 29 and 30, though he upgraded his rubber stamp on those ones:

large.5972a363a9f59_wdcs_030.jpg.8ccb7a0dc6f40b8970ee000eafacd69c.jpg

I figured that "Duane Mrohs" might not be that common a name, so I asked Mr Google. As near as I can tell (and if it's the right one) Mr Mrohs was a musical technician (photo of him in that article) who worked on some jazz records in the 1960s, and was attached to the music school at Ann Arbor in the 1960s and 70s. All of the references place him in Michigan, including a 1987 death notice. :( With that info, I found this record, which includes a birth date of 1930 - about right to have been buying a duck book in 1942 or 1943.

Good sleuthing!  I love knowing the provenance of comics.  Too bad about Mr. Mrohs having died comparatively young.  Looks like he kept good care of his comics and his heirs knew enough not to pitch them (if, in fact, the books came to market after his death).