• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Pickie said:

Cool, we don't have those Fan-Mags anymore, do we. It's all in virtual forums and not guaranteed to stay up there.

No we don't and I pulled this image from the original paste ups (like anyone knows what that is!) that I gave to the printer. I had to paste on all those little page numbers after typing them out and then hand cutting them into little squares and trying to align with my old drafting board from high school! Labors of love!

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I like the stories from this period.  Happy to discover that, in hand, the mark to the left of Donald's hat is actually just scanner glare. 

I do not. But the books themselves are bright and cheerful, and I love high grade copies of them! Nice one.

12 hours ago, AJD said:
13 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

I like the stories from this period.  Happy to discover that, in hand, the mark to the left of Donald's hat is actually just scanner glare. 

I do not. But the books themselves are bright and cheerful, and I love high grade copies of them! Nice one.

There be some childhood nostalgia involved.  I'm not old enough to have bought these books off the stands, but my older brother bought a few and, during the mid-1960s, it was possible to easily assemble a WDC&S run dating back to the late 1950s.  All those copies are long gone, alas.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

There be some childhood nostalgia involved.  I'm not old enough to have bought these books off the stands, but my older brother bought a few and, during the mid-1960s, it was possible to easily assemble a WDC&S run dating back to the late 1950s.  All those copies are long gone, alas.

Yes I bought complete runs of WDCS, Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge from 1960 - 1962 for about a dime each in the early seventies. The Scrooge stories were fun; lots of Magica De Spell and Beagle Boy tales. The story where the faces keep changing is a classic.

20 minutes ago, 40YrsCollctngCmcs said:

Yes I bought complete runs of WDCS, Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge from 1960 - 1962 for about a dime each in the early seventies. The Scrooge stories were fun; lots of Magica De Spell and Beagle Boy tales. The story where the faces keep changing is a classic.

A reprint of that story Uncle Scrooge #138, the many faces of Magica de Spell if memory severs, was the very first Uncle Scrooge I bought.  It made one heck of an impact because I still remember it and, even though I did not buy Uncle Scrooge again until the mid-1980s, I dreamed of owning the Barks lithographs that Another Rainbow put out around then.  Loved looking at them in CBG and Overstreet.  Now I have many of the lithographs as well as a water color and a 2 preliminary paintings (both Menace out of the Myths). All because of one Barks reprint. :)

One of the disadvantages of collecting duck books here is the fact the US prints were never imported/distributed until the sixties (local reprints ruled) so the OCD completist (me) has to import them.

That's expensive, not so much for the comics, but the extortionate shipping - $US25 for a single book? No thanks.

Anyway, it's a waiting game and yesterday 11 Uncle Scrooges arrived with combined postage resulting in my now requiring 5 to complete the (Barks) run Four Color 386 to Uncle Scrooge 71.

100_1798.JPG

100_1799.JPG

20 hours ago, Duffman_Comics said:

One of the disadvantages of collecting duck books here is the fact the US prints were never imported/distributed until the sixties (local reprints ruled) so the OCD completist (me) has to import them.

That's expensive, not so much for the comics, but the extortionate shipping - $US25 for a single book? No thanks.

Anyway, it's a waiting game and yesterday 11 Uncle Scrooges arrived with combined postage resulting in my now requiring 5 to complete the (Barks) run Four Color 386 to Uncle Scrooge 71.

Great stuff Peter. The first run I put together when I got back into the hobby. :applause:

Which ones do you still need? I have a couple of duplicates still - and I'll only charge US$24 per book for shipping.

Hasn't "Undercopy Manor" picked clean the (extensive)  holdings of AJD manor?

Anyway, FC386 (of course :cry: though I have a fifties Oz colour reprint), 24, 40, 42 and 64.

I have "marked off" 19 & 61 - but of course have misplaced them.

Off to the GA in Australia thread with a post.

44 minutes ago, Bronty said:

How awesome would an Uncle Scrooge movie done right be?  :cloud9:   All aboard the Penny Wise! :)

I caught the occasional episode of Duck Tales when my kids were little.  Where was Donald?  I don't think he was in any of the episodes I saw.  Was there ever an explanation of that? hm

34 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

I caught the occasional episode of Duck Tales when my kids were little.  Where was Donald?  I don't think he was in any of the episodes I saw.  Was there ever an explanation of that? hm

Licensing. He also wasn't in the Gladstone comics of the same name. They introduced an annoying new character Launchpad McQuack to play the DD role.

On 1/29/2018 at 3:18 AM, Stingrayiii said:

Just a FYI for anyone wanting these books. They look in great condition. Not mine, I just bought some early WDCS and spent all my money, but someone needs to grab these! Located in Germany.

I bought a really nice FC i needed from Germany recently.  No problems with shipping.

On 1/30/2018 at 9:59 PM, AJD said:
On 1/30/2018 at 9:21 PM, Sqeggs said:

Licensing. He also wasn't in the Gladstone comics of the same name. They introduced an annoying new character Launchpad McQuack to play the DD role.

That's kind of peculiar that they would license Scrooge and the nephews, but not Donald.  Truth to tell, though, in Barks's later Scrooge issues, Donald had been reduced to something of a cipher. 

I am a Four Color collector  so there is quite a crossover  with Ducks.

I came back from Terry's  SOCALCOMICON  last Sunday with 25 books all from trades  and mostly from Terry.

This is the only Duck in the bunch.  By far the most valuable book that I brought home that day

Image (65).jpg

Congratulations on getting a great book.  Frozen Gold is a good story, but the second story, The Mystery of the Swamp, is probably better.  I think it served as the inspiration for Uncle Scrooge #13 with the Terry's and the Firmy's. 

14 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

Congratulations on getting a great book.  Frozen Gold is a good story, but the second story, The Mystery of the Swamp, is probably better.  I think it served as the inspiration for Uncle Scrooge #13 with the Terry's and the Firmy's. 

Agreed that Mystery of the swamp is the better story. But it struck me as more of a precursor of the Land of the pygmy Indians story than the underground one. Though thinking about it a little, it probably has elements of both.

7 hours ago, AJD said:

Agreed that Mystery of the swamp is the better story. But it struck me as more of a precursor of the Land of the pygmy Indians story than the underground one. Though thinking about it a little, it probably has elements of both.

Probably my favorite cover of the duck Four Colors along with Old Castle's Secret! Congratulations.

22 hours ago, AJD said:

I was going to add the Land of the Pygmy Indians when I responded but I couldn't remember the name of the story and was too lazy to look it up, but I agree that it has elements of both.