• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
15 15

8,429 posts in this topic

I've wanted a copy of this for a long time due to the charming and nicely composed cover image. But the story is pretty ordinary, so I was waiting for a nicely presenting copy at the right price. I paid $20 for this, so I think it qualifies.

DD_27.jpg

I'm contemplating collecting the run of Dell Donald Duck issues. I have 26, 27 and half a dozen others. They have the merits of some very nice covers and a few great Barks stories (especially Forbidden valley) and low prices. But do I really need 15 more Dells? hm

6 hours ago, AJD said:

I've wanted a copy of this for a long time due to the charming and nicely composed cover image. But the story is pretty ordinary, so I was waiting for a nicely presenting copy at the right price. I paid $20 for this, so I think it qualifies.

DD_27.jpg

I'm contemplating collecting the run of Dell Donald Duck issues. I have 26, 27 and half a dozen others. They have the merits of some very nice covers and a few great Barks stories (especially Forbidden valley) and low prices. But do I really need 15 more Dells? hm

Of course you do!

6 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

I was going to add the Land of the Pygmy Indians when I responded but I couldn't remember the name of the story and was too lazy to look it up, but I agree that it has elements of both. 

I still remember reading Land of the Pygmy Indians as a kid; I never looked at the swampy woods the same way again.

13 hours ago, AJD said:

DD_27.jpg

Wrt to the story in DD 27:  There aren't many non-Barks DD stories that appeal to me.

Wrt to needing more Dells:  Of course you do! :)

13 hours ago, AJD said:

DD_27.jpg

I love this cover!  The story was rather, meh, but the cover :luhv:

Here is one of my copies.

DD_27_CGC_Front.jpg

I just bought all these so I’m pretty happy. Scrooge 1-36 and then another 75 misc issues were there with multiples of most in the 1-36 range. Multiples of the Barks FCs too. About 150 WDC&S too. That should ALMOST finish my Scrooge run. After this, I should be down to less than 20 issues with 179 being the only pricey one.

DAAD1389-0B98-42B7-8B44-3B35F568A142.jpeg

On 2/11/2018 at 1:51 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I love my Pentel Click eraser.  I cleaned the dirt off the white areas of this book and re-scanned.  Here is the result...

26323995598_ebaaa7e3e6_c.jpg

You could have skipped the eraser and just photoshopped it. hm

6 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

You could have skipped the eraser and just photoshopped it. hm

lol  but that wouldn't have reflected reality, now would it...?  I'm all about reality...and the red is still not deep enough, but I haven't figured out how to duplicate reds perfectly on scans yet...

Edited by Tri-ColorBrian

10 hours ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

lol  but that wouldn't have reflected reality, now would it...?  I'm all about reality...and the red is still not deep enough, but I haven't figured out how to duplicate reds perfectly on scans yet...

It's a heck of a book and the reds seem vivid as they are now.

It's amazing how the books pile up to read. I went digging in the comic closet for a fun read today and discovered I hadn't read WDCS 71 which I picked up a little over a year ago. I remedied that today and was surprised to find a Barks tale that I had never read before. I suppose it may not have been on the approved reprint list in the sixties and seventies as a look at cigarette smoking Butch on the first page might indicate. Later in the duck tale we see the ducks in an exciting one page sequence that could be out of a four color saga.

Then we have an adaptation of Peter and the Wolf from Make Mine Music. I don't believe I have ever seen this movie all the way through. I should try to remedy that someday.

Another risque moment comes in the first page of the Mickey Mouse in the land of Tomorrow tale with a mechanical heartthrob for Mickey bats her mechanical lashes at the mouse. This is anther story I  have never seen and GCD shows no reprints of this Gottfredson tale.

tn_WDCS71.jpg.56538ace2ed15734e49077e0fb29aaa4.jpg

tn_WDCS71DuckInt1.thumb.jpg.de98feb55f8b3587e616b05c0d6cae6b.jpg

tn_WDCS71DuckInt2.jpg.ea5dd2a8fd80a1a3531eb35283668f7e.jpg

tn_WDCS71PeterWolf.jpg.f60abc4aeb9bf448e4ba3a776a88397c.jpg

tn_WDCS71MickInt.thumb.jpg.8a2ec9f935d21580d6db1e3c153b8a9d.jpg

I bid on it as well, and had great hopes because it was listed as a paint book and not a comic.  I contacted the owner and it seems her husband sold most of his collection years ago but that this was one of the few books he pulled to keep.  It looked like a very nice copy, almost as nice as the one I have in my collection, but without being able to examine it in person, I got left in the same dust you were in.  With about 10 seconds to go, it jumped to about $2,500 and with 1 second to go, it jumped to just over $4,500.  A typical eBay auction for a nice item.  Somebody got a great copy of one of the rarest ducks!

7 hours ago, Yellow Kid said:

I bid on it as well, and had great hopes because it was listed as a paint book and not a comic.  I contacted the owner and it seems her husband sold most of his collection years ago but that this was one of the few books he pulled to keep.  It looked like a very nice copy, almost as nice as the one I have in my collection, but without being able to examine it in person, I got left in the same dust you were in.  With about 10 seconds to go, it jumped to about $2,500 and with 1 second to go, it jumped to just over $4,500.  A typical eBay auction for a nice item.  Somebody got a great copy of one of the rarest ducks!

Looks like with a press it'll grade higher than the current high grade of 5.0.  Pretty cool to see items like this are still out there.

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Looks like with a press it'll grade higher than the current high grade of 5.0.  Pretty cool to see items like this are still out there.

Beautiful copy.  I don't think she chose the right venue to sell it in.